Thread: Predator hemi valve lash

Predator hemi valve lash

I searched here and didnt find what i was looking for. I run a box stock pred class and was wanting to go over my valve lash. What is the gap i should set lash for? Im just looking at what i can do to maybe get a little more out of my motor LEGALLY. Thank you in advance for any help or advice!

0" valve lash,

Ok thank you i seen some youtube vids where they were being set to .003 between rocker and valve

The head will grow, and open up more lash when the engine is hot, so you can set them to zero. I don't even use any gauge, just set it by feel when the rocker just starts to hang up on the valve.

You MAY find some small gain to be had by preloading the valves about .0015 or so... Never know until you try it.

DD

Understanding lash and opening and closing events is relative to proper cam timing events to make max h.p. Believe it or not, the engine is set from the factory for max performance at 3600 rpm. Now that we are moving the rpm upward, the proper lash ( on the stock cam ) is to be discovered. Take a look at the cam card from Dyno Cams. There is a reason for setting lash cold. Where the problem comes in is the gear on the crank (centerline). Not all the same so opening and closing will be different. I will leave it at that
    AKRA Northeast National Tech Instructor
    AKRA Northeast Representative
    No one ever gave a critic an award.

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

Im running stock cam and was just looking to i guess you could call it tune up my motor and go over it to make sure nothing has changed and is running the best it can for a boxstock predator with the govenor still installed

This also depends on the track. On our 19 turn paved track, some have been known to run the exhaust valve lash very loose (.015-.018") as it picked up torque off the tighter turns. On my other motor, I run .002" intake and .015" exhaust, but when we close off the technical section and run the track super-speedway mode(only 11 turns, much higher speed), I run .002" and .003".