Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New in west tn

New in west tn

Just bought my son a champ kart, says titan t3 on it. Has an metal tag for akra? On it.

It's in good shape. No bad weld jobs, bent or worn down tubes. Came with a stock clone on it and pedal mounts for a kid.

He is 6 and we are looking to race MARS at Jonesboro and eagles nest. We live out in dyersburg tn area (newbern). It'll be a bit of a drive race days but any tracks are.

Any one in the area? I need help setting the seat and such. We plan on visiting our first race this weekend.

I've been around dirt modifieds and sprint cars my whole life but never spent time around karts. The whole tire dope thing is entertaining

My ignorance. Wka tag on the frame. What's the number mean?

That is a a WKA cage certification tag. It means that the chassis met all the WKA specs for a Champ Kart.

Too long gone from TN to help you with the tracks. The Champ is a Titan T3 from your description, which makes it of 2003 vintage. Thde brass tag with the number was the result of WKA rules at that time, as stated by race2win777.

We have run a number of. Champs over the years and kept a T3 around as a spare and occasional 2 engine class day kart, and it was still competitive in 2016, though the setup it used was a bit different from our 2015 Rage.

Is this a full size champ?
    If so they won't let your son run it in the 6 yr old class

Quote Originally Posted by XXX#40 View Post
    Is this a full size champ?
    If so they won't let your son run it in the 6 yr old class
    and you know this how? bing bing bing.... YOU DON'T the guy asked for information from those who knew... not opinions stated as fact....

for the little kids they take a ton of time with them on the track at Jonesboro and it's a good little class usually 6-10 karts, Eagles Nest there will not be as many Karts but he can get some track time.. again they are very good with the little ones... and if you ask and they have time they will let him go out alone and make some laps... set up wise for the little ones they set the seat up higher than you would for an older kid and make sure he's comfortable... the biggest thing is going to be his comfort level in the kart and his mindset... some kids go out and never touch the gas pedal and others never watch the flag man... spend some time with him sitting in the kart going over what will happen in the race and how to react... at jonesboro the do a standing start and restarts... line them up and a track worker waves a green flag... if he's ready for that and can react... he could easy win his first race... we will be at EaglesNest sat look for the tall skinny kid with two number 2 blue & white karts "Payne" he's great with kids and be glad to talk to yours... besides we have a trailer full of stuff if you need it... there is a kart shop there not a huge inventory but most things you might need... both tracks are alot of fun and a good environment and totally different one flat one banked...

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up

I know the seat position right now won't cut it. It's buried in the floor and the back of the seat I think sits to high on his neck/head.

He drives a 4 wheeler and dirt bike so I am hoping he adapts to the foot controls pretty quick.

The Jonesboro shop said bring it out there and they could help me go thru it and look at safety gear.

Ever go to hartsmill? I was told about it but they only run flat karts is what I was told.

no we mostly just go to the 2 tracks but ATOKA is going to MARS rules and is going to run 3-4 races this year
    Yeah Rodger is a good guy (runs the Kart shop at Jonesboro) and will help you out...

I'm hoping we get to what we can. I work a ton of weekends so it's iffy

Atoka would be way closer

Quote Originally Posted by ponytl View Post
    and you know this how? bing bing bing.... YOU DON'T the guy asked for information from those who knew... not opinions stated as fact....
    I forgot, you run outlaw tracks.
    Here and most of the country 6 yr Olds run Jr champs, and they don't mix the 2 sizes, he buys a full size champ expecting his 6 yr old to be able to race it anywhere they go is misleading....
    I asked a valid question, and gave a valid answer, and it's not my rule it's an insurance rule, maybe look into it sometime

Outlaw tracks? They run a sanction between the 3 of them. It's not just a single track?

When I think of outlaw I think like an unsactioned track in the heart of imca country

It's nice to see this site has trolls like 4m

Quote Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
    Outlaw tracks? They run a sanction between the 3 of them. It's not just a single track?

When I think of outlaw I think like an unsactioned track in the heart of imca country

It's nice to see this site has trolls like 4m
    Not trolling, most of the country will not let you run cage karts against champ karts, and won't let neither of them run against Jr champs, pretty sure that's in AKRA, IKF, NKA, WKA etc.... rule books.
    The insurance that covers these races use the rule books to base coverage, you get someone hurt racing a full size champ against a Jr the insurance can refuse to pay due to negligence.
    Then who does the injured come after to pay the bills? Land Owner/Track owner/ Race premoter

The frame has junior labels on it. It looks like original decals

The previous owner said it was set up for a 5 year old

One of the guys that can help you tremendously and you call him a troll? Even if he seems to rub some people the wrong way he is full of knowledge as several others are on here. Being new you may want to slow down with the calling people trolls on here until you know who knows what. Even at that, there are very few. Not a good way to start out on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope1 View Post
    One of the guys that can help you tremendously and you call him a troll? Even if he seems to rub some people the wrong way he is full of knowledge as several others are on here. Being new you may want to slow down with the calling people trolls on here until you know who knows what. Even at that, there are very few. Not a good way to start out on here.
    he was dead on... some people have opinions and state them as fact.. he just figured out who it was quicker than you......

Pony that isn't a troll.

"never argue with a fool.... those looking on.... can't tell.... who is...... who"

Quote Originally Posted by Cope1 View Post
    X2 on that one ! I for one have not always seen eye to eye with Jamie , but a ton of experience and knowledge to be had from him in MANY aspects of karting , PM'd him many a time along with a few others on this PUBLIC site ! Sorry for trolling , if that's how my reply is perceived !!

OHV yes there are a few left and they have a vast amount of knowledge that we should be thankful to have access to and that they are willing to help. I remember many of them from back in the day around 2004 and some are no longer on here much, if at all. Whether they hit it spot on the first time or at least get people headed the right direction helps the learning curve become significantly faster. They understand how karts work on a deeper level than most of us. I am always trying to learn more and more.

there is a nice track in Tresavant tn. Hartsmill Highbanks
    Last edited by ted; 6 Days Ago at 07:57 PM. Reason: addition

I just recently heard of hartsmill. i think they run just flat karts right?

I was reading on here, junior and senior champs run the same kart for the most part 43" wheel base?

Then there is junior sportsman or baby size champ. 40" wheel base?

MARS rules don't say much about chassis just cage kart only.

I was reading on here, junior and senior champs run the same kart for the most part 43" wheel base?

Then there is junior sportsman or baby size champ. 40" wheel base?

MARS rules don't say much about chassis just cage kart only.
    Jr Champ would be 13, 14, 15 yr old yes same as spec as Sr Champ , basic not exact breakdown WKA overlaps final yr of classes, Jr Sportsman I 7,8,9, yr old, Jr Sportsman II 10, 11,12 yr old are shorter wheel base , I know nothing about MARS rules but It's surprising they don't define it better they still need Insurance coverage to race.

The kart I got does have a 40 inch wheel base

Loosely measure axle to axle.

The pedals are on platforms on the floor and not the frame mounted pivots

The kart I got does have a 40 inch wheel base
    That's good it will be much easier to get him comfortable starting out, plus little safer.

Quote Originally Posted by racing promotor View Post
    Jr Champ would be 13, 14, 15 yr old yes same as spec as Sr Champ , basic not exact breakdown WKA overlaps final yr of classes, Jr Sportsman I 7,8,9, yr old, Jr Sportsman II 10, 11,12 yr old are shorter wheel base , I know nothing about MARS rules but It's surprising they don't define it better they still need Insurance coverage to race.
    I cant see the OP's posts, hope he got a Jr Sportsman champ for his son, it's the correct kart for his age, I hope Mars isn't skirting the rules.

I cant see the OP's posts, hope he got a Jr Sportsman champ for his son, it's the correct kart for his age, I hope Mars isn't skirting the rules.
    Yes Jamie he did get a Jr Sportsman Champ shorter wheel base, appreciate your concern which is all you were doing from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by racing promotor View Post
    Yes Jamie he did get a Jr Sportsman Champ shorter wheel base, appreciate your concern which is all you were doing from the beginning.
    Good, you know what I'm talking about, new guy buys without research shows up to race and gets told can't race.

Good, you know what I'm talking about, new guy buys without research shows up to race and gets told can't race.
    Fully understand your like myself get a bum rap sometimes for being so direct, but yes I knew the scoop you were only pointing that out just looking out for his best interest just in case.