Thread: Engine catch cans

Engine catch cans

Wanting to get some advise on a catch can for the valve cover breather.

I have seen the majority of catch cans at the track without a filter on the catch can, most have a piece of tubing un filtered. I would think you would want to have a filter due to the fact that you will suck in dirty air. Thoughts

This is true.

Valve cover has a one way check valve. Air flow into valve cover from breather hole is inconsequential.

If you feel more comfortable with a filter, there are a variety of them available to use.
    Depending on the size of the hose that comes out of your catch can (not into) you could even cut a piece of scotch brite and put it in the hose.

Yes the plastic piece is a one way check valve, but the small hole at the bottom will let air in. I tried blowing in the hose and air comes in through the small hole.

Plastic piece ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If you feel more comfortable with a filter, there are a variety of them available to use.
    Depending on the size of the hose that comes out of your catch can (not into) you could even cut a piece of scotch brite and put it in the hose.
    What Jimbo said, or a piece cut from an old foam air filter sleeve that you were going to throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash-o-matic View Post
    Plastic piece ?
    Inside the valve cover the one way check valve appears to be plastic. Thats what I was referring to.

Not plastic. I thought that was what you were referring to, just wanted to clarify.

Real life experience on dusty dirt tracks = run a filter on your catch can (especially if the line to it is rather short.)
    We mount our catch cans on the left rear seat strut and still run a filter.

When I get an engine in for a rebuild, I can visually see what environment the engine was last run in (and if the competitor runs a filter on his catch can) by the amount of dust inside the valve cover.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com