Thread: Engine maintenance

Engine maintenance

What type of weekly maintenance should I be doing on my clone. I change oil and drain fuel out of carb. Anything else I should be doing?

Why drain the fuel? Is it a gas clone?

Tighten all bolts, especially side cover. Wash tires at soonest time possible after the races. Wouldn't hurt to check valve lash, either. Check clutch, lube as needed. Inspect chain, lube. Make sure all wheel/axle bearings spin freely. Tighten more bolts.

And clean air filter, re oil on Thursday prior to Saturday race.

Quote Originally Posted by mopdog View Post
    Why drain the fuel? Is it a gas clone?
    To get the ethanol outta the carb.

We pull motors, remove clutches, cap off carb, spray with simple green, hose off, dry with air hose, bolt motor back on, fire it up, let it get warm, then change oil and drain gas. We also pop the pull cord shroud off, before washing.

Have u heard of running straight
    seafoam thru carb??

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Ok thank you for the help

ALWAYS drain oil when hot... Do not let old oil sit in motor even over night... Doing so is some of the reason you see build up,, wax / gel build up in blocks.. Yeah I know some say they never have that problem and leave oil in them for weeks.. You then have a way better chance at the Lottery than most... Best to drain as soon as you come off the track after your last race, all the particles, shavings,, dirt is still suspended in oil and will exit the block rapidly... You can leave empty or add your next oil change if desired..

BUT before that its a good idea to flush your entire fuel system.. Make you up a quart bottle up with 28 oz of NON ETHANOL gas and 4 oz of WD40.. Have a extra hose for it.. Carnk engine and remove fuel line going into fuel pump.. Add the extra line to the mix. When you see motor start smoking count to 5 and remove hose and allow the motor to run dry... After that do your oil drain,, allow to cool and then cap off exhaust and carburetor.. This will remove all the ethanol (which is corrosive) and it will also remove mosture content,, also lube and remove moisture in the engine..

JMO
    Dover Power
    The Carolina Original Since 1972
    Mon-Thurs 10am-7pm
    704-782-7061
    jdover@vnet.net
    www.doverpower.com
    www.doverpoweronlinestore.com
    FB> Dover Power
    AKRA Steering Board Chairman

Like!

If you have a problem finding non ethanol fuel,white gasoline/ camping stove fuel works good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dover Power View Post
    ALWAYS drain oil when hot... Do not let old oil sit in motor even over night... Doing so is some of the reason you see build up,, wax / gel build up in blocks.. Yeah I know some say they never have that problem and leave oil in them for weeks.. You then have a way better chance at the Lottery than most... Best to drain as soon as you come off the track after your last race, all the particles, shavings,, dirt is still suspended in oil and will exit the block rapidly... You can leave empty or add your next oil change if desired..

BUT before that its a good idea to flush your entire fuel system.. Make you up a quart bottle up with 28 oz of NON ETHANOL gas and 4 oz of WD40.. Have a extra hose for it.. Carnk engine and remove fuel line going into fuel pump.. Add the extra line to the mix. When you see motor start smoking count to 5 and remove hose and allow the motor to run dry... After that do your oil drain,, allow to cool and then cap off exhaust and carburetor.. This will remove all the ethanol (which is corrosive) and it will also remove mosture content,, also lube and remove moisture in the engine..

JMO
    Great advice. Are you guys running ethanol for a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_7 View Post
    Great advice. Are you guys running ethanol for a reason?
    You pretty much have to run ethanol enhanced fuel if the track is using a meter to check fuel...
    Dover Power
    Mon-Thurs 10am-7pm
    704-782-7061
    jdover@vnet.net
    www.doverpower.com
    FB> Dover Power

We are running 100% fuel. Track has a no additive rule, but that may apply to other chems. than ethanol. Most the guys i've talked to said they dont run ethanol at this track.

Ethanol /gas is the standard.. If some are running non ethanol gas and others are running the standatd 10% ethanol/gas then the track is not using the electronic tester.. Cause they are worlds apart on the gauge... Sounds like someone is just going through the motions of checking fuel... I do know that James Winkler has the electronic tester and is using it when he's asked to tech..
    Dover Power
    Mon-Thurs 10am-7pm
    704-782-7061
    jdover@vnet.net
    www.doverpower.com
    FB> Dover Power