Thread: Draining oil at track without making a mess

4 Cycle Regular User

Draining oil at track without making a mess

I just realized the drain plug on the engine sits right above a frame rail (due to offset of engine). This will make it hard to get a funnel or normal sized drain pan under the plug. Is there any trick to drain break-in oil neatly at the track without making a mess? I'm planning on putting down a pit mat and having a big pan on the ground but wanted to see what other folks do.

I took a piece of thin aluminum sheet metal, cut it 4-5" wide and 12" long. Simply bent it into a "V" and used it the funnel the oil from the plug hole to my drain pan. Sames alot of mess and clean up.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I use a small ball valve with male on one end and female on the other. I then put the original drain plug after the ball valve for a little piece of mind. When its time to change the oil, i take out the plug, screw in a short hose and drain it directly into my used oil container. Not a drop and my hands don't even get dirty.

4 Cycle Regular User
    I think those are both great ideas. I used to have a ball valve on my truck for oil changes and I liked that a lot. I saw something called the "form a funnel" which is like the sheet metal idea and I may try that (I could probably just use some aluminum foil too).

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I just drain it all over my shoes by mistake

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I have a long neck, thin funnel that i jam up in there. Then I use rags to pick up the half that still spills!

4 Cycle Regular User
    If you have a electric kart lift just lower it onto the front bumper and leave the rear wheels about 1' off of the ground and put a drain pan under the frame and drain plug open the drain plug and drain the oil into the drain pan then wipe the access oil that got on the frame and around the drain plug with a rag then install drain plug

4 Cycle Advanced User
    If your motor is moved over so much that the oil flows onto the frame rail you may want to consider moving the motor. Briggs has shown that centering the motor on the motor mount will decrease vibration considerably.