Thread: Jr Dragster motor

Jr Dragster motor

Are there any junior dragster guys on here? If so, what sorta combo am I looking for to achieve 10:90's with a stock block? My niece just got her first Jr and I want to help her out with a motor. I've got a junior 1-4 motor to utilize. Thanks in advance.

We build a few each year. Seems most of the Raptor engines are fading away for the blockzilla/rhino blocks or going to ohv 206 engines. The ohv stuff is kinda like the wild west in tech right now -- basically none....but much easier/cheaper to get to 10.90 than with an older flathead motor. Pretty much bone-stock raptor (or destroked) will run 13.90s. A WKA-type raptor will run 12.90s. You will need to go to a Mikuni, big cam, bigger valves, long rod and piston to get to 10.90. Some are putting in a stroke crank as well -- It's MUCH easier to put this combo in a bigger block to begin with (but again the cost is driving people to the ohv engines.)

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Not sure if Raptor is strong enough out of the box or not, seems like there are many modifications made to Raptors for reliability.
    I have an 8.90 Blockzilla much thicker and stronger. It would make sense to get a good engine block, that you can modify as the driver gets older and faster.
    Only prob with Blockzilla is the cam is too close to the crank. Most of the aftermarket blocks remedy this problem. But for 10.90-8.90 the Blockzilla should work pretty well imho.

Augusta, Martinez, Evans, North Augusta or we just call it the CSRA Area (Ga.)
    Brian Carlson and Jimmy Rivers are very good with Jr. Dragster...I know Jimmy at JRPW has built quite a few of them...Im sure other builders will chime in on this and point you in the right direction
    JRPW Racing
    Paid Subscriber To B4C

If I could find a blockzilla for a reasonable price I wouldn't be opposed to buying one. When I raced juniors 22 years ago we had a blockzilla and we ran 9.0's and 9.teens here in southern Arizona. I don't belive it was a mega bore or big stroke deal. I would like to do the build myself, I am a dealer for Stout Racing Engines and Lewis builds a good motor. But my sister and her baby daddy are on a budget so I am trying to help them as much as I can. Between me building a rear engine dragster and having a UAS kart, I don't have a bunch of expendable cash as well.