Thread: Fuel Pump

Fuel Pump

Anyone see a benefit to getting a mount that raises the fuel pump 3/4 of an inch off the top plate? Supposed to keep the pump cooler I guess??

The reality, fuel does not move through the system fast enough to optimize molecular advantages.

I did this with my fuel pump to get it away from the heat of the engine. I don't know if it helps but I do know it won't hurt. I know slam me for not knowing. I do know many small things that do help the 206 and that even though they are small micro gains, they do add up. However, I did not use what is posted in the link. I went to the hardware store and bought white nylon spacers 1/4 id and 3/4 inch tall for 33 cents each and simply used longer bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Gab507 View Post
    However, I did not use what is posted in the link. I went to the hardware store and bought white nylon spacers 1/4 id and 3/4 inch tall for 33 cents each and simply used longer bolts
    LOL, but the one in the link looks cool

Quote Originally Posted by FXSquad View Post
    LOL, but the one in the link looks cool
    I can't deny that, It is definitely cool looking. LOL

How about this?
    Measure the temp of the fuel going into the fuel pump and then measure the temp of the fuel coming out.

You can buy a lot of plastic spacers for 45 bucks. Heck if you folded them nice you could probably stack 35 one dollar bills, drill holes in them, and get the same spacing. Save 10 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by mike97760 View Post
    You can buy a lot of plastic spacers for 45 bucks. Heck if you folded them nice you could probably stack 35 one dollar bills, drill holes in them, and get the same spacing. Save 10 bucks!
    I understand. Link was simply to illustrate what I was talking about.

They are nice -- I just freshened a 206 that had one of these on it.
    Value in performance? Couldn't tell you that, but it sure does add some "bling" to the fuel pump & engine.
    Getting the pump slightly higher (max by the rules) also alleviates some of the crankcase oil getting past the diaphragm breather in the fuel pump. I know, most just smear a dab of silicone over the breather and be done with it. I think this little fuel pump riser bracket is pretty slick and good for the guy that's making them. I'm thinking it will be copied by others who wish they thought of it first -- and eventually the market will bring the price down some.

FWIW, Cooling fuel (namely alcohol and/or nitro) has some benefit. Not so much with gas. Now, I'm talking cooling as in freezer or dry ice bringing the temp way down, not just a degree or two. I'm pretty proud of our dyno and I know it won't show me the difference in running gas at 90* vs 92*F.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

$3.22
    riser.jpg

^ Do you offer free shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlsonMotorsports View Post
    ^ Do you offer free shipping?
    Only with a Prime membership!

Good one.

I have seen no performance gain by raising the fuel pump over our last two races. However, I was able to remove the dab of silicon I had on the fuel pump breather and not have a top plate covered in oil after each session. I hated plugging up the breather because my thinking is they designed the pump with it for a reason, now my pump can breathe again.

An engineer from Walbro told me that plugging the vent with silicone actually result in more fuel pressure. I have never tested it though.

I discovered raising the fuel pump into the air stream added .003 seconds to my lap times.

Then I woke up and discovered I had left my window open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    An engineer from Walbro told me that plugging the vent with silicone actually result in more fuel pressure. I have never tested it though.
    How would more pressure be beneficial? The bowl can only fill up until the float stops the intake of fuel correct?

No offense but I didn't say it was beneficial
    As long as there is enough volume of fuel to keep the required amount of fuel in the bowl under all conditions things are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No offense but I didn't say it was beneficial
    As long as there is enough volume of fuel to keep the required amount of fuel in the bowl under all conditions things are good.
    Non taken. More pressure may aide in keeping the bowl at that desired level under all conditions. That could be beneficial I guess.

Thanks.
    Sometimes it's so easy to think someone is being a snot because they misinterpret what you wrote.