Thread: why?

why?

I've been in this sport for a long time now, and I was wondering why asphalt racing has really never caught on it the Carolina's. I have few dirt track's within reasonable distance from the house, but its seems that they all cant get on the same page when it comes to rules, and I'm getting burned out.
    I done a couple of asphalt races last year, but they really weren't organized except on the engine rule. This year they increased the weight so 425 guy's like myself would have a better chance.
    I would really to find somewhere that has regular asphalt races, because I don't have to deal with tire prep, and its cleaner.
    any help is welcomed.

alan

Asphalt oval racing really never took off anywhere, mainly because of the cost to build an asphalt oval

You could probably build 3 dirt ovals for the cost of one asphalt facility.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The Weapons - 2008 Mongoose Champ, 2004 PRC Phenom JPM Indoor Edition
    The Ammo - GKS Flathead, GKS Animal
    The Sidearm - 2006 PRC Phenom

"We claw with our finger nails for that inch. Because we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing..."

I owned an asphalt oval track back in the 80's and the guys loved it. clean for sure. Asphalt is expensive to build like what was said. Bad thing is, when you go upside down on asphalt you know it the next few days. Flagman needs to be really aware of rough driving for safety reasons especially on an oval.
    AKRA Northeast National Tech Instructor
    AKRA Northeast Representative
    No one ever gave a critic an award.

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

Quote Originally Posted by krtrcn View Post
    I've been in this sport for a long time now, and I was wondering why asphalt racing has really never caught on it the Carolina's. I have few dirt track's within reasonable distance from the house, but its seems that they all cant get on the same page when it comes to rules, and I'm getting burned out.
    I done a couple of asphalt races last year, but they really weren't organized except on the engine rule. This year they increased the weight so 425 guy's like myself would have a better chance.
    I would really to find somewhere that has regular asphalt races, because I don't have to deal with tire prep, and its cleaner.
    any help is welcomed.

alan
    Simple reason. There is lots of money to be made on dirt, not so much on asphalt.

Prep is still a factor as well

Quote Originally Posted by krtrcn View Post
    any help is welcomed.

alan
    Everyone is replying as if you asked about asphalt oval and I don't see that in your post.

Asphalt sprint or road racing though the same skills and knowledge are required, JUST AIN'T MUCH FUN compared to dirt oval racing. And in asphalt sprint or road racing there's a HUGE discrepancy or line between the haves and have nots. Though there are also multimillionaires racing dirt oval, what you need to succeed against them it far more obtainable racing dirt oval then asphalt sprint or road course.

... and did I say it AIN'T AS MUCH FUN EITHER? ...

Geewiz,. I should appoligiz to all my costomers for not having a fun time for 25 years.

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

Quote Originally Posted by DynoDon View Post
    Geewiz,. I should appoligiz to all my costomers for not having a fun time for 25 years.
    If you feel the need, yes you should. ...

I know that there's a learning curve on both dirt and asphalt racing. I guess my point is I see on here that oval asphalt racing is healthy other parts of the state's,just not here in the Carolinas.
    Then if anyone knows of any place close to Charlotte nc, where someone could do some asphalt racing please let me know.

Thanks

BS 45 years on ashtabul as much fun as I could stand. I quit playing in the sand box when I was 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWL8k5m9oEg

Watch this and tell me it isn't fun. I race dirt but would love to do this.

DK

One thing I've learned about 'REAL' racers; they will race anything. As T-Mez (Tom Mezeral) recently said in Speedway magazine, "you learn if your a real racer when Mom and Dad pull the plug'. Racing oval dirt is too much fun but, sprint/road has gotta be a blast as well.

DK

Omg I couldn't stop smiling

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

Two tracks in NC on a regular schedule.. Mooresville NC (Go Pro) and another track in Farmville NC... Not sure thats the correct name but look it up on You Tube and or FB...
    Last edited by Dover Power; 05-22-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Dover Power
    The Carolina Original Since 1972
    Mon-Thurs 10am-7pm
    704-782-7061
    jdover@vnet.net
    www.doverpower.com
    www.doverpoweronlinestore.com
    FB> Dover Power
    AKRA Steering Board Chairman

Isn't the small track at Concord running some asphalt races now?

Most people that say asphalt racing isnt fun, have never raced asphalt (oval or sprint).

Having done both, it's a blast. Sprint racing is like golf and sex...you dont have to be good at it to enjoy it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The Weapons - 2008 Mongoose Champ, 2004 PRC Phenom JPM Indoor Edition
    The Ammo - GKS Flathead, GKS Animal
    The Sidearm - 2006 PRC Phenom

"We claw with our finger nails for that inch. Because we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing..."

We race both asphalt and dirt ovals, usually back to back nights with different karts. There’s the fun factor in both, but if you mess up on asphalt you don’t recover as quick which takes away some of the fun. There’s pros and cons to both. I can’t say that my kids like either one better, except we all agree it’s easier and faster to wash tires than to scrape them.

If you're going to Road Race, laydown is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGfPKaqW0zA

I would never do nor recommend laydown because of zero head protection if you back it into something. Get bumped or loose it backend first into something and your !DEAD MAN RIDING!.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkish View Post
    I would never do nor recommend laydown because of zero head protection if you back it into something. Get bumped or loose it backend first into something and your !DEAD MAN RIDING!.
    That's the chance with any racing. I raced sprint cars for over 20 years with a roll cage and still broke my neck twice. They do have rear bumpers.

It's all relative. I have seen some pretty bad wheel hops. Driver got chain rash from one.
    Shoot if us step in front of a train odds are against you.
    Airtight Garage Est 1982
    Waller Racing
    Phantom Chassis
    Dover Power
    Paid 4 cycle subscriber

I race dirt on flat karts and a champ buggy and asphalt in the enduro sprint road race series. Dirt is fun, but tire prep is a real chore. The cool part about road racing is running tracks like Daytona, VIR, Mid Ohio, AMP, Summit Point, Roeblin Road and more! Running at speeds approaching 100 mph is quite an adrenaline rush. Racers you meet in both are great folks, but you get much more respect on the asphalt track at those speeds. If you are an every week racer, dirt is probably for you, but if you want to run 10 -12 times per year and run for 30 minutes per race, turn left and right and go up and down hills, come try it!

Everyone is replying as if you asked about asphalt oval and I don't see that in your post.

Asphalt sprint or road racing though the same skills and knowledge are required, JUST AIN'T MUCH FUN compared to dirt oval racing. And in asphalt sprint or road racing there's a HUGE discrepancy or line between the haves and have nots. Though there are also multimillionaires racing dirt oval, what you need to succeed against them it far more obtainable racing dirt oval then asphalt sprint or road course.

... and did I say it AIN'T AS MUCH FUN EITHER? ...
    I've run dirt oval, asphalt oval, street courses and asphalt road courses and have experienced "fun" pretty much equally on all of them. Although the physical pain was much worse on street courses.

While waiting for my work computer to update today, I rummaged through my desk drawer and found a Speedway Karting (not sure of title, published in Canada) magazine that covered the 2001 Briggs 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. There were 105 entries from all over the country, many of whom were dirt racers that transitioned very well. Making the cut on the first day of qualifying was like winning the race for us. We ran both dirt and pavement, and I always felt the pavement improved our dirt performance. It sure brought back some great memories of those days of living on the road, and all the friends we made along the way. As I recall that was the same year as the WKA pavement Pro Series and the turnout was good everyplace we went, from NY to TN. Hard to believe it was nearly 17 years ago! Even harder to believe my driver will be 35 and getting married soon.

I raced asphalt ovals from 1998 through 2008. In 2000 and 2001 we had very good kart counts at the WKA Nationals. I believe the record was 600 entries at Orange County Raceway in Rougemont NC. Hard to believe it went from that to absolutely nothing.

I watch the dirt road course racing from down under... that looks FUN

Quote Originally Posted by lee42lee View Post
    I raced asphalt ovals from 1998 through 2008. In 2000 and 2001 we had very good kart counts at the WKA Nationals. I believe the record was 600 entries at Orange County Raceway in Rougemont NC. Hard to believe it went from that to absolutely nothing.
    We loved racing at OCR, I also remember how big the WKA events were.

New generations man that's the problem I grew up dirt poor . We need to get people behind the seat of one if these things and get them to see what the fun is all about hook the generation on it . Once that happens boom word of mouth speeds here in Arkansas there isn't anything to do except dirt track but back home in California I lived near MMK and Willow springs as well as a hour from the old vintage track . I'd never driven one before but once I got my hands on one and actually sat down and drove one I damn near ****ed my self . From that point on the nitch has been there .

Quote Originally Posted by lee42lee View Post

I ran a sprint car with a wing at Orange County when there was a kart race there. Karters were complaining that the sprint cars were putting down a lot of rubber on the track. It was an All Star Circuit of Champions sprint car race. I led all but the last 3 laps and lost the brakes and finished 3rd. Got paid with a check and it was no good. So they still owe me $1500. The track was fast.