Thread: champion clone

4 Cycle Member

champion clone

Just donated my mid - 90's Coyote Freeroller to my friend and his son so he can start racing next yr (son ). purchased a Champion 196 and in the process of preparing it. I am new to the OHV scene and came from the flatty era my question is the champion rockers are well known but what about the motor? I've heard little about it . I know it has the new style shaft mount rockers. It will be a plate motor so how does it compare to the Ducars etc? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Check with the track where the kart will be running to see what rules they are following before preparing the motor.

You may want to take this post over to the predator forum. I will let it rest here for a bit to see the responses you get but then it may need to go over to predator for a better information base. It is not allowed to race with the clones just so ya know.
    AKRA Northeast National Tech Instructor
    AKRA Northeast Representative
    No one ever gave a critic an award.

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

4 Cycle Member
    ok ignorance is not an excuse . I thought since it was a 196 cc it was in the clone ''family'' so i am wrong

4 Cycle Member
    since you have your phone number posted i assume it is ok to call you.

Yes, call and I will share

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

4 Cycle Advanced User
    When referring to a champion clone do you mean the 196 c.c motor that comes on the champion generators ??

4 Cycle Member
    yes. It is the same visually as a clone with the exception of the shaft mount rockers which should swap out with stud mounts since they sell them for honda / clone heads. Cannot say about cc in head or piston . contacted track operator and he said no on the rockers but could not give me an answer about swapping to clone valvetrain. I've got till beginning of next season to figure it out.

Some of those 196 engines have a twin 239 I think it is. Looks the same. Carbs are different on the 196. Head is different. Some come with a flat top piston. Lots of things to look at!!

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

4 Cycle Member
    I will call you tomorrow. If you can post a good time to do so. thanx

Evening after 7

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

Quote Originally Posted by DynoDon View Post
    Some of those 196 engines have a twin 239 I think it is. Looks the same. Carbs are different on the 196. Head is different. Some come with a flat top piston. Lots of things to look at!!
    Those 196 engines also have a 212 twin that look identical.
    Jody Powell

WWW.ARCRACING.COM
    jody@arcracing.com
    (800) 521-3560
    (229) 435-2647
    Follow us at,
    ARC Racing on Facebook
    billetbyarc on Instagram

Itís my job to give you the facts, itís your job to put them to use.

4 Cycle Member
    WOW ... I'm really missing the flathead days . All i want to do is help a friends son get involved in karting and its becoming a pain so i guess i will autopsy the motor and see what i have as far as non spec parts then build it as a practice motor so to end the confusion i will just get a certified authentic clone from that little place Jody P. works at and be done with it. Rules are a nesassary evil and i'm just trying to follow them no matter how much it hurts / sucks

4 Cycle Advanced User
    All the parts will swap from a clone into a Champion...
    After all that it may be cheaper to buy a clone...

We run SA class with our Champion motors... so rules are not as tight as stock classes....

4 Cycle Member
    Yea thats what i decided earlier just build a ''true'' clone to race and have the Champion for a practice / seat time motor.