Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixing an idling issue

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart43 View Post
    Yes and it could be configured to read incorrectly. I am not familiar with MyChrons but there usually is a 2 stroke 4 stroke setting. You want 2 stroke if it is the same as an Alfano.
    Why a 2 stroke because of an Alfano(what is an Alfano)? Shouldn't it be set for 4 stroke?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I would guess your mychron reading are being cut in half. If you were only at 700 it would certainly stall. Check your settings

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurker! View Post
    I know nothing about these engines but remember reading thishttps://karting.4cycle.com/showthrea...206-won-t-idle
    Thanks for posting this. I was advised to change the c-clip. It was towards the bottom, and moved it to the second from top.

Realize that getting it to idle smoothly doesn't mean that it's necessarily going to make the best power and accelerate the fastest.
    Thank You to the 2017 206 Cup Grand National Champions for choosing Faster Motors
    Cayden Fretwell Sportsman Class Champion
    Emily DeMaster Junior Class Champion
    Grant Zimmermann Senior Heavy Class Champion
    Randy Raridon Masters Class Champion

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Realize that getting it to idle smoothly doesn't mean that it's necessarily going to make the best power and accelerate the fastest.
    I want power and speed. That's why I'm trying to get it to the point you suggested, at a minimum of 2000 rpm's. I'll have to go take a look at the settings on the mychron tomorrow and make sure everything is correct. I do have another question for you, when you say "the clutch is engaged", what exactly do you mean by that? Do most racers move that c-clip up on the needle?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by gary10 View Post
    I would guess your mychron reading are being cut in half. If you were only at 700 it would certainly stall. Check your settings
    Yeah, I'm going to take a look at the mychron tomorrow. If it is being cut in half, then where I'm at now reading 1300-1400 should be good.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    You had it idling at 700 RPMs? Most if not all engines will die when the idle is turned down that low. Your Mychron must be wrong. Make sure your Mychron is set for RPM factor X1.

A lot of people with the LO 206 don't use a Mycron.
    They know the max rpm is going to be 6050 so they gear the engine for their track accordingly.
    Another way to set the idle is to turn the Mycron off and set the idle where it sounds good and not starting to engage the clutch.
    Since you don't have a dyno if you want max performance you will have to set the slide needle and idle mixture where you get the best lap times. Then you may have to deal with idling as a secondary concern.
    Thank You to the 2017 206 Cup Grand National Champions for choosing Faster Motors

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Thanks for the info about the mychron setting. I will check on this. Here's a really dumb question, when I start the engine, it's idling and the chain is spinning and the wheels are turning. Is that supposed to be happening or is it just supposed to be the engine running until I hit the accelerator pedal. I might have to check into getting this engine dyno tuned.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    If you push the brakes, the wheels should stop easily unless you have the idle set too high. Once they stop, you normally can hold the wheel still with a slight touch of your hand. If it continues to turn, it's idling too high. Or you have the incorrect clutch springs installed.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The clutch shoes will touch slightly and make the wheels turn

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ron View Post
    You had it idling at 700 RPMs? Most if not all engines will die when the idle is turned down that low. Your Mychron must be wrong. Make sure your Mychron is set for RPM factor X1.
    That was the problem. Changed it to X1, problem solved! I've got the rpm's set at 2700-2800.The clutch would only occasionally engage at that rpm level. I could always turn it down a hair. Thanks to everyone that responded with help and advice, I really do appreciate it. My knowledge level has increased tremendously just in about the last 2 months from people on here giving me help. It's amazing how different the kart seems to me now that I understand things better, and I'm sure there's alot more that I don't know. I'll figure that out when I come across it. Hopefully this rain passes soon so I can get to the track and start running some laps.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    That's too high in my estimation. Too close to clutch engagement. I set mine at no more than 2000 cold and it normally will settle in at about 2200 when warm.

Last thing I want to happen to my driver is to come into the pits and have the clutch locked up and the kart not want to stop. I've seen this happen before!

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ron View Post
    That's too high in my estimation. Too close to clutch engagement. I set mine at no more than 2000 cold and it normally will settle in at about 2200 when warm.

Last thing I want to happen to my driver is to come into the pits and have the clutch locked up and the kart not want to stop. I've seen this happen before!
    At that setting, the clutch was barely engaging, if at all. I can turn it down to around the 2500 rpm mark. That should be ok.

You might just want to ignore the tach and set the idle where it sounds good.