Thread: Kershaw SC Carolina Motorsports Park LO206 Gearing

4 Cycle Regular User

Kershaw SC Carolina Motorsports Park LO206 Gearing

Does anyone have an idea on a good starting point for gear at Kershaw on a LO206? Got a new kart and the driver wants to make laps before road racing it! He's 6'2 220. I plan to to run some laps as well and I'm 5'11 150! Karts weigh 375 with driver in them! Thanks for the help guys!

Gary

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I think we ran a 17 a few years ago, wish I could tell you for sure...

4 Cycle Advanced User
    A 3.0 FD on the road course is a good place to start. Adjust up or down until you hit the rev limiter about 3/4 the way down the longest straight.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Ive run a couple hundred laps there. Start at 16/58 or 17/62.

After you get some track time, you LL want to drop down a tooth or two but, start there.

Next race is June 2nd. It won't be a huge group running 206 senior so make plans to come out and have fun!

4 Cycle Member
    what are the kart counts like at Kershaw these days???

4 Cycle Regular User
    they cancelled this past weekends club race and from the posting it said lack of interest

4 Cycle Member
    Yea, I got a message on my phone that said the same thing, that is why I ask about the attendence there. I thought they allways had a good crowd there... Has something changed with their karting program?

4 Cycle Regular User
    it was good then the crowd just dropped off.....but you are right, something changed

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Todd is the master of understatement........

I haven't raced there since 2014 other than some testing days, but if I am not wrong like most tracks they require CIK bodies for 206 and if they strictly follow that rule it might keep some people with US style bodies out. Anyway numbers were never huge, even when I raced 3 seasons, but I guess it is hard to get drivers for asphalt when you are on a dirt oval racing area. Many people also think it is ore expensive than dirt just because of entries when racing 206 (previously clones) on asphalt is probably the cheapest you can go in racing. Just compare the tire game for dirt racing for example. i still have my 2010 MGM but needs a body update.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    It's back to open bodywork now but, we did have solid numbers a couple years ago. 15senior/ 6or 7 heavy, half dozen cadet, and Junior and until it went over a cliff, good numbers in Rotax.

The Rotax series shooting themselves in the foot, and switching to CIK only last year (last year only) really killed it.

4 Cycle Member
    Just wondering, how did Rotax series shoot themselves in the foot??

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Continual motor updates, tire (lot and date variations) inconsistencies. All those rich 2strokers got fed up and went racing IAME.

So open body back... good news. I might let someone drive my MGM or sell it.