Thread: Tread tire for buggy

Tread tire for buggy

Going to give my grandson my champ operation. always ran maxxis 450 600 900 with 1.5 stagger front 1" rear he has to run treaded tires. Any help would be great, modified animal. I ran South Carolina he will run in Colorado on a big stock car track, thinking Burris 22 33? treaded tires are different! thinking roll prep inside? Thanks!

No prep inside -- you want to needle it into the blocks. Have the treaded tires cut to at least half tread - they are considerably lighter and faster that way. We cut them and prep them all the time like this for tracks with treaded tire rules.
    I'd be on as stiff of a treaded tire as you can get -- generally the sidewall are real floppy. 33 preferred over a tx22 all day long -- then prep it down in duro if you need to. If you are allowed, look a the Hoosier D30 & D50 treaded tires -- a D50 has a much stiffer sidewall and will have considerably better roll speed due to it's stiffer sidewall - then prep the duro down to around 50 and you're set to go.

I remember back in the '80s when my dad would send me out in a parking lot to wear down treaded tires. Now we just put them in the lathe and cut them in a fraction of the time.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz
    www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank you for the info. Trying to get him set so he has a good run first time on that track. he has drove it a lot but here in south Carolina with slicks. I am considering the D50 I have had good luck with pinning slicks in the past. Question cut all four?

I remember back in the '80s when my dad would send me out in a parking lot to wear down treaded tires. Now we just put them in the lathe and cut them in a fraction of the time. (quote)

How many kids have you denied the fun of wearing those tire down? lol

Quote Originally Posted by 95 shaw View Post
    I remember back in the '80s when my dad would send me out in a parking lot to wear down treaded tires. Now we just put them in the lathe and cut them in a fraction of the time. (quote)

How many kids have you denied the fun of wearing those tire down? lol
    Too many!

#4, yes, cut all 4. If for no other reason, than to reduce the rotating mass.
    Think of it this way -- you're limited on HP too, so you don't exactly need full tread blocks trying to pick up the track and throw rooster tails at the guys behind you.

we are required treads and if allowed I run hoosier on the rights and then that burris 7.10 on the lr to keep my stagger under control. We are required to run a 50 on the rr and no doping. ive gotten away from any 9's they are just to tall and heavy i'd rather stretch a 11.5/8 then run a 12/9. the other thing you'll find is air pressure is way different then on a slick we have run as high as 21 before on a really hard track

Thanks Jake I will think about that! Finding getting tire that will stagger hard to find, most are just way to big. But it is nice not buying tires that will not run a lot of laps and be done [Maxxis] with a lot of money spent on prep!!

We ran the treaded Hoosiers on our cage kart all last season. The RS are shrinkable. (torch) but also heat cycles tires' We shrink ours and the cut them. no prep Won 12 out of 13 features. Good luck