Thread: organizing your self for race day

organizing your self for race day

I was looking at several other thread in this section, and thought some could benefit from hearing how more experienced racers prepped themselves, their karts, and their pits for a day at the track. Include loading, to pushing up to the grid.
    We all have a story to tell on ourselves about things we have done or forgotten.

My driver still asks me if I remembered to bring the toolbox every week at the track.
    You'd think after 14 or 15 years, she would forget that. LOL

We use checklists - one for maintenance during the week and another for loading the truck and trailer. My son still asks if I remembered the toolbox... He just won't let me forget that one time...

The only checklist that ever worked for me was the memory of something I'd forgotten once upon a time. Whatever the item was, I have two of them in the trailer at all times now.

Everything in my trailer stays there. I have a different set of tools in my shop for non-racing projects. You can't forget something if it is ALWAYS in the trailer. My friends just don't understand when they want to borrow tools. If what they need is in the trailer the answer is always the same. "No, that tool is for racing and I don't lend those out."
    I did forget my air chuck once; now I have two.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace61 View Post
    Everything in my trailer stays there. I have a different set of tools in my shop for non-racing projects. You can't forget something if it is ALWAYS in the trailer. My friends just don't understand when they want to borrow tools. If what they need is in the trailer the answer is always the same. "No, that tool is for racing and I don't lend those out."
    I did forget my air chuck once; now I have two.
    Same here , my tools stay in the trailer. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I utilize a war wagon.

Everything I could possibly need as far as tools, parts, etc, goes in that box and rolls into the trailer.

Easiest way to not leave anything in the garage, is take the garage with you
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The Weapons - 2008 Mongoose Champ, 2004 PRC Phenom JPM Indoor Edition
    The Ammo - GKS Flathead, GKS Animal
    The Sidearm - 2006 PRC Phenom

"We claw with our finger nails for that inch. Because we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing..."

My biggest thing is to make sure to leave myself enough time to get the things done.

If I can work at a relaxed pace, not being under the gun at all times, the whole raceday seems to go better. If I start off by getting to the track late, I never seem to catch up. I can get too relaxed also, but that usually is not a problem.

I like to arrive, get unloaded, look things over once or twice more. Visit with fellow racers etc until hot laps start, then be ready with a repeatable routine between rounds.

^^^ I would agree with that.

Work at home, peaceful, take your time.
    Nothing from the trailer used at home, so nothing gets left behind.
    Night before, load karts, secure everything, get gas for generator.

Check lists are good
    We travel in groups with multiple karts and drivers, everyone on that helps at the track has specific jobs they do.
    Game plans between practices, what changes to make, tires cleaned, etc Controlled Chaos!! Lol

Most of all Have FUN!