Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 rules for AKRA/ NKA

2018 rules for AKRA/ NKA

Any word from anyone in the know about rule changes in the upcoming season?

I hope the answer is "No changes"
    We need to have rules set for at least two years
    so we don't have to re-do things every year.
    Unless it's safety related of course, but I think
    we've got that covered.

I talked with Don last week. He informed there will be no changes for AKRA. Except some rewording of some rules.

I should explain. The steering committee is going to submit there findings to AKRA. Then AKRA sends the recommendations to the tech committee for approval or adjustments. The steering committee is going to forward the following. Gasket matching for carb and exhaust allowed. Remove the shim rule. ( No Max amount ) allow the bearing on crank to be slip fit to bearing pocket/crank. Proper language to explain to certain individuals the proper installation procedure for the restrictor plate. That is all at a standstill untill approved by the tech committee.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoDon View Post
    I should explain. The steering committee is going to submit there findings to AKRA. Then AKRA sends the recommendations to the tech committee for approval or adjustments. The steering committee is going to forward the following. Gasket matching for carb and exhaust allowed. Remove the shim rule. ( No Max amount ) allow the bearing on crank to be slip fit to bearing pocket/crank. Proper language to explain to certain individuals the proper installation procedure for the restrictor plate. That is all at a standstill untill approved by the tech committee.
    Is there any truth to the rumor of a new "Pure Stock" class for 2018 ?

Pure stock classes have been around since karting began . Just nobody seems to want to keep them pure stock or regress backwards to the pure stock . Any track can offer a pure stock class or classes , but not many do . There has been talk of this being an entry level class in both the Clone and Predator engine packages .

Quote Originally Posted by GClary View Post
    Pure stock classes have been around since karting began . Just nobody seems to want to keep them pure stock or regress backwards to the pure stock . Any track can offer a pure stock class or classes , but not many do . There has been talk of this being an entry level class in both the Clone and Predator engine packages .
    Yes Sir , That's what I'm hearing . Another attempt to govern entry level classes. If any governing body like akra decides to go this route , I hope it works . We really need a way to keep entry level class cost down . That's what Box Stock was suppose to B . I believe ,This would attract more young members into karting ?

AKRA is working on an entry level engine with a spec head. We have not dropped the ball on that concept,. Lewis Stout is still working on the design of the head. He just got back from Connecticut meeting with engineers for the blueprint. Our concept is to design an engine that can be used in the pro clone class after the amature/beginner stage.
    AKRA Northeast National Tech Instructor
    AKRA Northeast Representative
    No one ever gave a critic an award.

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

We run a class called Box Stock GP, stands for green plate. The engine is a box stock, the tech is the same as any box stock class.
    Green restricter plate, 2shoe drum clutch 16 driver and a rear gear rule, winnie pipe.
    Ages 13 +, This class was created for new and older racers. They run about 1 1/2 seconds slower than our box stock big pipe class. With the box stock legal tech engine if a racer wants to move up to the box stock big pipe class it is very easy to do.
    Thank you

It is a very competitive class at our track.

Wouldn't the lo206 be a good engine for this? Being sealed and a rev limiter seems like a good spec engine doesn't it?

Why would we want to do that when we can run cheap Chinese junk and support their industrial base?

no 206 engines are not cost effective

What monatary system are using to justify that conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by silverback View Post
    Why would we want to do that when we can run cheap Chinese junk and support their industrial base?
    Can't blame you for trying, but I think the Clone has very deep roots now and probably going to be around a good many more years! Seems to working...............sure is a ton of them out there racing!

Sure glad our business isn't dependent on the Clone...........

Steve

To many do it yourself that like to do their own engines

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

I do tech at several local tracks. Most people get upset if I pull a spring or a push rod, "I don't have time to send this back to my engine builder before my next race." At a race for lo206 I had to take their carbs apart and put them together. The only ones who don't need help are the engine builders.
    Jim

Well I do not remember a 145 gram minimum weight rule on pistons in 2017 and there is one in the 2018 rules.

Yes there was. Page 52 at the very top.

I heard that 2019 was going to add billet rods, methanol and any valve spring.

You are a trouble maker. Lol

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

I'm going to put it on facebook. You know if it's on facebook it's true.

And thats how the $99 clone engine turns into the $1500 engine the flathead did, which ultimately KILLS karting!

Tires cost enough and prohibit most from being competitive, lets not let history repeat itself with the engines, we have a good thing going with Clones, lets K.I.S.S.

I for one, hope gasket matching doesn't pass. We have an inlet rule, let it be

I see this $99 engine statement all the time. The only thing you get for $99 is a predator on sale. The engines most use to build clones are over $120 and you still need a cam, flywheel, header........ and thats just to build a run of the mill cheap engine. When I build a PRO engine every part comes off the shelf hand picked from the best individual parts I can find. I bet I have $400 plus in just the parts with no accessories. I basicly started the build with a $400 engine.

HMM LO206 not effective, ran ours for 7 years, only lapped the valves twice a year. Had easy over 5000 laps on the motor and was still winning and not a puff of smoke. Matter of fact I bought it through the track we race and it was the pre stamped JT head. Just sold it last year and a kid is now running it in juniors. The things are bullet proof, if someone is paying to have a motor guy tinker with them there wasting there money, they are good rite out of the box, if you don't think so your only fooling yourself

Not sure, but I believe AKRA already has LO206 classes. Just not much (if any) activity on the dirt tracks

So, like everything else, all you have to do is get everyone else to go along with it.

Lets look at this LO206 realistically. Looks good so why is everyone not jumping on board?

1 Most all big races and series are sponsored by Karting related businesses. Engine builders, importers, part manufacturers for the most part. Where is the profit in LO206 for them? Do you think for one minute they will sponsor a race using an engine who's purpose is to put them out of business? How many do you see sponsoring out of the box Predator?

2 No sponsor money, no money race and we all know how racers flock to the big money.

3 Engine builders, importers and manufacturers all have their factory drivers. These are the guys who sell their product in the winners circle. None of these sponsors is going to put their hired gun in a class that hurts their bottom line.

4 The only business that profits from LO206 is Briggs.

5 A real racer is always looking for an edge. They like to tinker and tune, work on their own stuff.

6 Doesn't matter who says it if you think every LO206 out of the factory has the exact same power, I got bridge for sale. Racers are already buying 5-6 engines to dyno for the strongest one.

7 Seals are a joke, they can be copied, bypassed and just plain un-done and put back. Oh and don't insult anyone's intelligence with that only Briggs has the seals and you can't copy them bull. Someone made that seal and anything one person makes another can copy. They aren't made of Martian unobtainium by little green men.

Just a few thoughts why it won't take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Lets look at this LO206 realistically. Looks good so why is everyone not jumping on board?

1 Most all big races and series are sponsored by Karting related businesses. Engine builders, importers, part manufacturers for the most part. Where is the profit in LO206 for them? Do you think for one minute they will sponsor a race using an engine who's purpose is to put them out of business? How many do you see sponsoring out of the box Predator?

2 No sponsor money, no money race and we all know how racers flock to the big money.

3 Engine builders, importers and manufacturers all have their factory drivers. These are the guys who sell their product in the winners circle. None of these sponsors is going to put their hired gun in a class that hurts their bottom line.

5 A real racer is always looking for an edge. They like to tinker and tune, work on their own stuff.

6 Doesn't matter who says it if you think every LO206 out of the factory has the exact same power, I got bridge for sale. Racers are already buying 5-6 engines to dyno for the strongest one.

7 Seals are a joke, they can be copied, bypassed and just plain un-done and put back. Oh and don't insult anyone's intelligence with that only Briggs has the seals and you can't copy them bull. Someone made that seal and anything one person makes another can copy. They aren't made of Martian unobtainium by little green men.

The comment on 'seals' is absolutely correct. With the Dirt Car sealed crate engines, you could buy the special bolts if you knew the right people.

UM that's why you have tech pretty basically, and I agree with people like to tinker, I love it also that's why we run one class with LO206 and another kart in clone. Its nice to pull off the track each week and not worry about the motor, focus on the clone and keeping it fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post

Martian unobtainium by little green men. Lol! True