Thread: wedge body vs 3 piece fiberglass

4 Cycle Advanced User

wedge body vs 3 piece fiberglass

is there a certain speed that needs to be attainted for the aero effects of a wedge body to come into play? I run mainly on small bullrings 1/8 mi and smaller, I do have a wedge body with an adjustable spoiler on the back, just wondering.....ive been running it mainly because I just think the wedge bodies are really cool looking.....

You will get some downforce effect, but more so on a 1/8th the side panels will give you something to lean on to help keep it straight.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I wouldn't bother with a wedge body on 1/8 and smaller tracks honestly...i have ran both on all track sizes, I am someone who has a good tire program and setup, and can consistently turn laps within hundredths of a second, and the only advantage I saw from the wedge body was that it seemed to provide a little more downforce and side bite in the corners on the bigger tracks that had sweeping turns, but was only a couple tenths faster overall than the 3 piece flat kart body. The main reason I went back to using a wedge body was so I could use 1/4" thick plastic side panels, which hold up much better and longer than the thin fiberglass side panels that most body's on the market use. I have won just as many races if not more with the flat kart body than with the wedge body. That is my experience with the two

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I like the way the Wedge body makes you feel Safer, and kind of a cockpit effect...
    Defiantly adds side bit, and helps keep things under control better using higher HP motors...
    I use 1/8" thick plastic and they hold up for 2-3yrs... plus getting 4 side panels out of a 4x8' sheet, any colour...for $30.00 is a good deal...

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I built mine out of 1/8 plastic as well, it adds about 7-8lbs to total weight and drops nose % about a percent, I had to add some weight to the front of the kart to get the nose % back to where I want it, that in of itself I wasn't too happy about, ill give it a run tomorrow, may end pulling the wedge off and putting the fiberglass side panels back on....

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by W5R View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a wedge body on 1/8 and smaller tracks honestly...i have ran both on all track sizes, I am someone who has a good tire program and setup, and can consistently turn laps within hundredths of a second, and the only advantage I saw from the wedge body was that it seemed to provide a little more downforce and side bite in the corners on the bigger tracks that had sweeping turns, but was only a couple tenths faster overall than the 3 piece flat kart body. The main reason I went back to using a wedge body was so I could use 1/4" thick plastic side panels, which hold up much better and longer than the thin fiberglass side panels that most body's on the market use. I have won just as many races if not more with the flat kart body than with the wedge body. That is my experience with the two
    Have you ever tried the lexan thermoclear https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-Th...MMCL/205202473

When I was driving!!! A few years ago I had a Blockzilla 3 on a short track up at Hillbilly Race way, had lots of problems hooking it on the track, outlaw engine!! and I built a wedge body like a late model dirt car with a spoiler on the rear with Lexan side panels and it changed the kart entirely!!! It got to where I could half way hook it up!!!! It had Brute power. My grand Son Luke won the season Champion ship with the Kart against some of the best Outlaws races on a short track in the country!! It was super racing, none better close buy at the time!!! Super time of OUT LAW RACING.
    There were all types of Engines that ran there. Super Racing!!!! Wedge body was heavy but it worked for US. J.C

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchristy View Post
    When I was driving!!! A few years ago I had a Blockzilla 3 on a short track up at Hillbilly Race way, had lots of problems hooking it on the track, outlaw engine!! and I built a wedge body like a late model dirt car with a spoiler on the rear with Lexan side panels and it changed the kart entirely!!! It got to where I could half way hook it up!!!! It had Brute power. My grand Son Luke won the season Champion ship with the Kart against some of the best Outlaws races on a short track in the country!! It was super racing, none better close buy at the time!!! Super time of OUT LAW RACING.
    There were all types of Engines that ran there. Super Racing!!!! Wedge body was heavy but it worked for US. J.C
    Hillbilly Race Way here in Kentucky Jim?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by TCD Racing View Post
    Have you ever tried the lexan thermoclear https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-Th...MMCL/205202473
    No interest in it honestly, i prefer the flat kart body myself. I have a perfectly good wedge body and extra sides sitting here and dont even plan to use them unless i build a backup kart just for big tracks

My problem was brute power! Didn’t really have a choice on which body I wanted to run?? I ran what it took to be driveable!!!

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Were you talking about Hillbilly Race Way in Russellville Kentucky Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by W5R View Post
    Were you talking about Hillbilly Race Way in Russellville Kentucky Jim?
    Hillbilly Raceway was located off of 79E headed toward Bowling Green Ky. It was run by David Porter! Located back in a location near his home. It was located before you got to Russellville! I think he is still running races there??

4 Cycle Advanced User
    That's the track I was thinking you were talking about, great little bullring and David is a pretty good guy, he builds a good track anywhere. David still runs hillbilly raceway and he also has an indoor series going on right now also, look him up on facebook and you'll find David, he has his races listed on his page