Thread: New to the Predator

New to the Predator

I purchased a hemi a week ago and put it on a fun cart. I did the plug change and the governor spring adjustment. Needless to say Im hooked. I went yesterday and bought 2 more hemi's. I want to trick one out and keep the other for a back up. Im mechanically inclined but just don't know what cams, rods,etc to get. I would like something that will turn some RPM's. I have looking at the kits that you see at various companies. Which kits/companies are the ones I need to look at? Let me know your builds and what you would have done different if anything. Im not even sure what I will put the motor in but I do know I want it fast and to sound mean. Any help is appreciated.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    When looking at fast its all relative... Lol but on a serious note. What is ur budget? What is ur plan for use? Are u burning up a parking lot? Do u have a lil track on some land? Are u taking it to the local ohv park?

I have a backyard kart right now that I may put it in to play with but Im not sure if I want to build a doodlebug or maybe even a drift trike. I have a total of 3 hemi's and just want to play around. I don't really have a budget but don't want to spend 1000.00 on it.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Theres a few builds u can do... Cheap side would be mill the head and get a nice header flywheel and like an s/a carb... Next up from that would be a bigger cam, (rod would be recommended depending on rpms), port and bigger carb... Then ur next step from that would be a big valve head... Its all in what u want? Give me an idea of what u want to do? And what ur looking to spend and I'll give u a build list or point u to a package deal out there

I want to build something to turn in the 7k range. Don't really know what I'm going to put it in but I would like something moderate. Not beast mode but more than average.

4 Cycle Regular User
    My Black Mamba Jr was a fun cam that pulled my minibike to 7k ($80 shipped?)
    Milled head 0.035" ($20 -40)
    0.027" Gasket ($15)
    +0.020" Billet Connecting Rod ($90)
    26 lb Valve Springs ($10)
    gx390 style Carb, adapter, air filter adapter, air filter ($90?)
    weenie pipe exhaust ($25?)
    32 BTDC ignition timing ($10 with the stock flywheel or $100 with the billet flywheel)

So maybe as cheap as $350 - $375 with the stock valves/retainers and stock flywheel, which may or may not explode at 7k RPM (depends on the forum LOL).

Add in other goodies like SS valves with the keepers, retainers, lash caps and a valve job ($100)
    Billet Flywheel ($100)
    CrMo Pushrods ($25)
    Head Porting (?)

That has to be close to $600 bucks
    It was on a minibike with 30 series TC geared for 55mph at 7k RPM

4 Cycle Advanced User
    http://www.nrracing.com/category-s/2143.htm

This should get u an idea. This is clone but they have kits for the predator too just have to state hemi... And I think thats pretty much 80% of what ull need think u get the flywheel separately along with the header... But the stage 3 kit is a good deal