Charlotte Expo  

Thread: Friday night racing

4 Cycle Regular User

Friday night racing

Why don't karts run much on Friday nights? I've seen some two day events run Saturday and Sunday. If weather was going to be bad on Saturday but clear Friday night why not move the race up.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Friday night is for Drinkin....

From past experiences locally it makes it tough to draw a weekly crowd when people have to work until 5pm or later on Fridays..

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by meracer9 View Post
    From past experiences locally it makes it tough to draw a weekly crowd when people have to work until 5pm or later on Fridays..
    Same reason here. Few tracks race fridays, most are saturdays since everyone is off work saturdays

4 Cycle Advanced User
    We race Friday nights here. Pit meeting at 7 racing starts at 8. It does make it harder for those that work to get there on time.
    There are 2 tracks east of me that have in the past both run Friday nights. I heard rumor this year that one of them moved to Saturday night. West of us we have one that runs Sunday afternoons every other week and another that runs Sunday afternoons on the opposite week, and one track that runs every other Saturday afternoon.
    Here there are still a few stock car tracks They all run Saturday nights, so the small kart and mini sprint tracks go Friday nights. Also some of the drivers at our track go farther away and race both Saturday and sundays.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Local track here raced last night (Friday) for their first time and plans on continuing. Up the road about 50 miles is a track in Calhoun, KY that has been running Fridays for a few years. It is pretty rare though.

4 Cycle Regular User
    I was just thinking if weather is going to be bad on Saturday and it's going to cancel then race Friday night. If the weather is going to be clear. Or even without weather being involved local stock car tracks run Saturday nights. So with everyone racing on one night of the week it makes it hard to do multiple forms of racing.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    One of our tracks runs Monday nights. If rained out by noon it is run Tuesday night.

It works pretty well. You can race weekly without it being an all day deal (Practice starts at 5) and still have your weekends for the family (or to race other tracks!)

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by Marren68 View Post
    I was just thinking if weather is going to be bad on Saturday and it's going to cancel then race Friday night. If the weather is going to be clear. Or even without weather being involved local stock car tracks run Saturday nights. So with everyone racing on one night of the week it makes it hard to do multiple forms of racing.
    Most tracks don't make the call for weather until race day. So a Saturday night track would make the call to cancel or postpone by noon-2ish. So backing up to Friday isn't an option. So Sunday gets the nod. Also it would be tough to make an educated decision on weather for Saturday as early as Thursday night, which is when I would want to know if they were moving the race a day early. And, as already mentioned, most guys work till 4-5 and to get home from work and hustle around to get to the races is a real PIA if you have any distance to travel. But if you're not too far it's not too bad to make it for 7pm heats. But there are some tracks, Selinsgrove comes to mind for me, that draw nearly 100+ karts Every Friday. Moe's Karting World does around 100 average on Friday nights as well. Much of it depends on area and how far racers must travel to get there. Promoters and owners just want the most karts they can get and Saturday and Sunday offer the best opportunity. I also know of a track that runs Thursday night and draws almost 100 karts but it's just outside of the city. So the population density is there to support it