Thread: Questions on trying to start a class

4 Cycle Advanced User

Questions on trying to start a class

Can someone give me ideas on how to get a class started? So I found a local track thats willing to let me start a "limited" class. Trying to get people on board but no one is biting? Trying to keep it real simple and fun for the diy guy... Any clone or predator, stock size valve (27/25 or smaller), factory pistons only, no roller rockers, any single spring set up, any cam, s/a carbs, 110 fuel... But I have only found 1other guy thats willing to put an entry in... Any ideas how to get at least one more guy to jump in?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Set up an engine to loan out.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Ive already offered 1 out to a few guys but there bizzy running the points game in box stock

Offer money payout and guarantee it.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Unfortunately, the flat kart racing in Cali has very limited numbers to pull from at this point..
    Most tracks are running the NorCal clone rules or at least a slightly tweaked version of the rules and most also offer a stock appearing clone based class.

For a good base affordable package, the NorCal clone is a great class and the competition is pretty level engine wise. This class could easily have 20-30 (or more) entries per race if the tracks wouldn't run on the same weekend.

The stock appearing class is a good place to be if you want to experiment a little and have more open set of rules that are much less technical. This can turn into a spendy class too if you go all out on the engine, but right now the track conditions tend to keep the competition fairly level.

A third class at this point will just pull entries from the other two and wouldn't likely increase kart counts.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Who's running an s/a class? I haven't found anything for sprint karts?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Most all the dirt ovals are; Hanford, Chowchilla, Hills Ferry, Atwater...

If you are talking asphalt sprint racing, then I have no clue. Seems like the Atwater sprint series struggles to get enough karts to even have a race lately.. Which is odd because I think they went to the LO 206 and shortly thereafter, hardly anyone shows up?
    I think they are running sprints at Stockton, but I don't know if they have much turnout.

Where have you been racing and what class?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I haven't been because I won't pass tec. I just go to play days at Davis, Dixon, and p.c.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    From your proposed rules, it wouldn't take a lot of work to get your engine to meet the rules for the Clones at the tracks I mentioned. It would meet the rules for the stock appearing class as is..
    So, what's keeping you from showing up and racing?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Because I dont know who's running where? Last I new Dixon speedway had stopped running karts and I guess they go to lil 99 now? But only sometimes?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I really dont keep up with a lot of it as I should...

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Usually some racing chatter on the NorCal fb page. You can find the remaining races listed there. Hills Ferry and Hanford are running about every other weekend I believe.
    Chowchilla and Atwater will likely start up in the Fall with their winter series.
    Atwater Dirt Oval fb page usually has some chatter about upcoming races.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The closest dirt I know of is lil 99 speedway

4 Cycle Advanced User
    NorCal clones and stock appearing clones will be racing at Hills Ferry next Saturday

Newman, Ca

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I wish thats 100mi away from me... I dont trust my old truck that much... I'm going to look around and see what I can find local I'm sure theres something

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I doubt that you would have any success with any new class that limits the class to one track.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Not so much 1 track theres a few around that aren't 100mi one way..