Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about switching from Alky to gas

I have some pin vise drill bits but not official pin gauges. I can use those to measure the hole sizes in my jets.
    I have a micrometer that I can then measure the drill bit shanks and report back with my findings.
    I also need to look up the proper way to set the float level... I'm sure there is a thread on that, I'll do some searching...

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Danford1

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by danford1 View Post
    I have some pin vise drill bits but not official pin gauges. I can use those to measure the hole sizes in my jets.
    I have a micrometer that I can then measure the drill bit shanks and report back with my findings.
    No you can't, not even close. On eBay you can find pin gauge sets .011" to .060" (in 001" -.0002" steps) pretty cheap. They're not the best in the world (Chinese) but their close enough. I had a set myself and I was a CNC machinist.

Tip drills are something like .002" apart. Do the math, pi R squared. That's the area of the hole. The area of the hole is what's important.

Realize that from .038" to .039" is better than a 5% change in area. The smaller the whole, the bigger the change between sizes.
    From the desk of Al Nunley 512-630-6215
    Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
    If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

.32 mm is the factory size GAS idle jet
    .95 mm is the factory size Gas main jet

Ok thanks. My drills may not be perfect but I can use them as a Go- No Go type gauge to get an IDEA of where my holes are now.
    I have them. If I order something - I'd have to wait for them to arrive in what a week or more???
    I would like to know where I stand today rather than is a week or more. My drill bits will get me close. I can then order More NEW jets.
    The ones I bought were new too...

So.... How much is a new gas carb? If not new, how much is a good used gas carb with all stock jets?

Danford1

Ok. I pulled the 3 jets and measured them using Go-No Go and came up with:
    Main Jet 0.037"
    Needle Jet 0.113"
    Idle Jet 0.011"

I have another Animal with a PZ carb on it that runs and idles Great.
    I put that carb on the engine I'm trying to get running right to see if it is only the carb problem.
    The engine runs excellent with my other carb :-)

I'm going to try swapping the idle jet between carbs to see if it makes a difference.

What else could be altered in an Alky carb to richen the idle? Is there a passage way that could be drilled or plugged?
    Something is making it run very rich at idle...

Danford1

Your idle jet and main jet sizes are spot on.
    By needle jet do you mean the brass tube that the slide needle goes into and out of as you open and close the slide?
    It's called the nozzle. For gas it should be around .101"
    If it's a .113" that would be a problem and cause your rich condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Your idle jet and main jet sizes are spot on.
    By needle jet do you mean the brass tube that the slide needle goes into and out of as you open and close the slide?
    It's called the nozzle. For gas it should be around .101"
    If it's a .113" that would be a problem and cause your rich condition.
    Yes, that is it. What part number is the correct gas nozzle?

When I ordered the jets from Turk Bros I ordered part BS555593 Emulsion tube (Animal) $8.16
    I "assume" that is the part number they sent me.
    I don't see any part numbers on it.

How do I order the correct gas nozzle/emulsion tube?

Thanks
    Danford1
    Last edited by danford1; 07-17-2017 at 03:25 PM.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Looks like a call to Jimbo / Faster motors would be the soultion.

Here is some more info.
    I checked the emulsion tube that is the carb on my good idling Animal. It is the same 0.113" as the BS555593 part I bought.
    So, that isn't the problem. To confirm this I swapped ALL 3 jets on both carbs. The new jets run just fine in the good carb.
    With the other jets in my current carb, the engine runs the same. Rich at idle but runs well otherwise.
    I then checked the float level on both carbs. They are set at the same 0.870" height.

That means that my problem is within the carb body.
    I have another Alky carb and tried using that body with the gas jets. Same thing. Rich at idle...

Is Jimbo the only person that can answer what is different on Alky carb bodies vs gas carb bodies?

Danford1

I'm not talking about the emulsion tube. I'm talking about the nozzle. It sits on top of the emulsion tube. You should be able to see the top of the nozzle sticking up inside the carb when you take the air filter off and open the slide. If you don't see one it's probably missing.
    I am most certainly not the only person that can help you with your issue.
    if you would rather have someone else i'll keep quiet.

Jimbo, Thank you for answering this. I Want you to help. I was told to call you and I didn't want to call anyone and bother them.
    See... If someone responds to a forum they are there most likely to help someone. They "have the time" or else they wouldn't be here reading...
    If I call someone they could be in the middle of working on something and then I would be interrupting them. I don't want to interrupt a busy person.

Here is a parts diagram I found. It doesn't show any nozzle on top of the emulsion tube. It is what I was going by.
    It isn't a complete diagram... Therefore I didn't fully understand your original post about a nozzle.

I checked my carbs and measured the nozzles with my Go-No Go method. DING DING DING, We have a winner !
    My good idling carb has a nozzle of 0.1015" and the other carbs have a nozzle of 0.1045".
    Since the parts diagram I have doesn't show the part, I don't know what part number to order.

Want is the part number I need? Do you have it in stock? How much is it? Can you drop it in an envelop with a postage stamp and mail it to me?

Thanks for the help.
    Danford1

https://www.msquaredkarting.com/stor...ors-and-parts/

The nozzle is not available separately, therefore, there isn't a part number. However, i'm sure i have some I've saved for whatever reason over the years. Pm me your address and i'll get one to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The nozzle is not available separately, therefore, there isn't a part number. However, i'm sure i have some I've saved for whatever reason over the years. Pm me your address and i'll get one to you.

Thank you !

PM sent.

Danford1