Thread: low oil switch

low oil switch

I figure the reason for doing away with the low oil switch is it "will" shut the engine off in the corners.

Is that really fact or something that got started and kept going because once upon a time someone said it would and that's why they took it out?

I just read Blairsville rules and they state the predator should be completely stock. Are engines shutting off at Blairsville?

Or are you allowed to do the low oil and governor at Blairsville PA too?

The switch is a simple float setup with a contact to ground ignition. Just like the carb float, it will bounce. Erratic engine operation needs as few possibilities for diagnosis.

Just one more thing.

However, if you feel prone to not refilling with oil, could be an engine saver.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 shaw View Post
    The switch is a simple float setup with a contact to ground ignition. Just like the carb float, it will bounce. Erratic engine operation needs as few possibilities for diagnosis.

Just one more thing.

However, if you feel prone to not refilling with oil, could be an engine saver.
    Are you saying it "will" shut off the engine because of bumps or if it's there it will make you wonder if it is a problem?

Not arguing reading your reply I just thought about this.

Oil is much thicker then gas and I think the low oil sensor float is enclosed and not just floating on a pool of oil. ... just a question and a thought about it, because oil is thick and "I think not sure about it", the float is enclosed, wouldn't thick oil make it not prone to bounce. Looking at pictures of the low oil sensor it looks like it would take some time to empty enough to trigger an ignition shut off.

... maybe I should do a Snopes on it? ...

thanks for the reply ya got me thunkin more about it

Just leave it hooked up and take the kart out for some laps. As soon as you go hard into a corner and it cuts off, you will see why we disconnect it.

It will shut the engine off when cornering.

ok, ya all made me a believer.

I'll just figure Blairsville web posted rules ain't completely accurate.

Predator 350
    Gas only
    350 pounds min.
    Harbor freight engine #60363 only
    Must be completely stock
    125.00 engine claim fee w/o clutch
    Shoe clutch
    Burris tires 33a only
    No cut tires
    Track has the option to claim engine at any time.

Unplug it the engine is still stock

Unplug it next to the kill switch. Its the yellow wire

Quote Originally Posted by W5R View Post
    Unplug it next to the kill switch. Its the yellow wire
    ok and thank you

You're talking about a sport where most people change oil after running max 40 laps. Chances of running low with that kind of maintainance are pretty thin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkish View Post
    ok, ya all made me a believer.

I'll just figure Blairsville web posted rules ain't completely accurate.

Predator 350
    Gas only
    350 pounds min.
    Harbor freight engine #60363 only
    Must be completely stock
    125.00 engine claim fee w/o clutch
    Shoe clutch
    Burris tires 33a only
    No cut tires
    Track has the option to claim engine at any time.
    I'm confused!
    You concede that they are right with no argument?
    Or did you get the engine on that chassis and race it? Only to find the engine cut out.

None of the above. Your in Iowa don't let me or what's done in western pa and eastern ohio confuse you. ... I'm looking for info on what to do here not in Iowa. It's not like we have to wait until the corn is picked to start your racing season? ...

"You concede that they are right with no argument?" I have no reason to argue with anyone over rules. I only need to conform to the rules and maybe express where it might be hard to match up to the rules. Best rules I've seen on the predator are we run them stock and if you feel like taking out the or disabling the oil sensor and governor you can if you want to but you don't have too.

I'm new to predator racing and helping someone get started in it. I didn't know if leaving the low oil switch active would cause a problem or not.

So I asked on here. If a track we might end up racing at posts rules online, I figure that's what your suppose to follow. When he gets racing I think his own personal engine will only be good for one track and I'm going to provide another engine for him to use at other local tracks, so I'm interested in how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkish View Post
    Are you saying it "will" shut off the engine because of bumps or if it's there it will make you wonder if it is a problem?

Not arguing reading your reply I just thought about this.

Oil is much thicker then gas and I think the low oil sensor float is enclosed and not just floating on a pool of oil. ... just a question and a thought about it, because oil is thick and "I think not sure about it", the float is enclosed, wouldn't thick oil make it not prone to bounce. Looking at pictures of the low oil sensor it looks like it would take some time to empty enough to trigger an ignition shut off.

... maybe I should do a Snopes on it? ...

thanks for the reply ya got me thunkin more about it
    Since yer thunkin, ponder the thickness of your oil at 300 degrees, plus or minus.
    Then consider that the dipper is stirring that oil, and wrapping it around the crank at almost twice the design rpm of the engine. All this is introducing air into that oil. Just thinking about the factors that affect the float monitoring the oil level.

Not debating, just some food for thought.

Oh, we're planting corn, then we can race. Lol

Those rules don't make any sense Paul, they say you can't run the non hemi motor, and yet have it listed that you can only run the 60363....which is the hemi motor. They aren't getting any/many predator karts anyway so if your buddy brought one he may be riding around by himself anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon35 View Post
    Those rules don't make any sense Paul, they say you can't run the non hemi motor, and yet have it listed that you can only run the 60363....which is the hemi motor. They aren't getting any/many predator karts anyway so if your buddy brought one he may be riding around by himself anyway.
    Good point and thank you.

Right now the only real goal is to get his butt on the track. ...

Quote Originally Posted by 95 shaw View Post
    Since yer thunkin, ponder the thickness of your oil at 300 degrees, plus or minus.
    Then consider that the dipper is stirring that oil, and wrapping it around the crank at almost twice the design rpm of the engine. All this is introducing air into that oil. Just thinking about the factors that affect the float monitoring the oil level.

Not debating, just some food for thought.

Oh, we're planting corn, then we can race. Lol
    I like the way you thunk. ...

edit: even if yer from Be lo it country out in the sticks. Every time I went to Be lo it to service their local Dollar General, I'd make sure to ask someone what there below. ...