Thread: predator newbie need some help

predator newbie need some help

I just started to run a predator motor in the box stock class ( remove govenor and oil sensor) that's it. running a 15% mount, how much oil should I have in it? what is the rpm's I should be shooting for? I'll probably have more questions but that's all I can think of at this minute, thank you in advance for any help you can give me. also it's a hemi and what rpm should my clutch engage at for this motor.

10oz of oil and with stock springs no more than 6200rpm clutch around 2600-2800

10 oz of oil is not sufficient, Thjs is 12 oz of oil on 15 degrees you cannot see it but the dipper only hits the oil about 3/16" We measured no significant performance loss at 15-16oz compared to 12oz.

This is at 15oz And yes I know very well that the environment is much different when the engine is running. But you depend on the oil to absorb some of the heat as well as lubricate

Ive always run 14oz min but like 16oz u should see right around 6000rpm I shoot for 5800rpm give u a little space in case u run a lil faster that night

I wouldn't put 10oz in my lawn mower with a flat mount, much less a racing engine on a 15* mount

we took both of our karts to run sat night with 3 new predator engines with us we could only get the one to turn 5400 and the other two would only turn 5200 so what am I doing wrong I threw all kinda gear at them and nothing worked had to drill the gas caps they were breaking up and shutting off that fixed that problem but I cant hit 5800 6000 for some reason

anyone tells you 10 oz of oil is a moron and if it's stock 5200 is all you will get. who gets 6000 with it truely stock doesn't no anything.

Its a fully stock predator correct? Look at valve lash and if allowed go to 10.8 springs... The stock springs could be soft

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer24 View Post
    anyone tells you 10 oz of oil is a moron and if it's stock 5200 is all you will get. who gets 6000 with it truely stock doesn't no anything.
    You might be doing something wrong if you cant get 6000rpm with a true stock predator without the governor...other people have no problem doing it

We are running 6 thou rpm on ares but we can put 10.8 springs and as fare as oil i was told by karters around here 12 oz of oil in clone and 15 oz in animal ive had no problems for the last 5 yrs since we started racing but should i be adding more oil then that ? i am using Amzoil dominater 5 20

maybe i don't we went from clone to predator and was told 5200 was about all you could get then they would fall flat. are you running airbox and stock springs and head gasket.

I run a stock pred. With only govener removed for the track we run I'm using a 13 66 gearing had a first place last night and my motor turns 5200 repeatedly no more than then that . haven't touched the motor short of oil or governor removal air cleaner and a header pipe

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer24 View Post
    maybe i don't we went from clone to predator and was told 5200 was about all you could get then they would fall flat. are you running airbox and stock springs and head gasket.
    We've ran them several ways, out of the box with no governor, and with upgraded springs only. Out of the box, with just good 10.8 springs installed they will easily turn 6000+ with the right gearing, they just do not make much power above 5000-5200, but on the small tracks the extra rpm helps more than hurts, I could see turning less rpm on a bigger track working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoremaster View Post
    I run a stock pred. With only govener removed for the track we run I'm using a 13 66 gearing had a first place last night and my motor turns 5200 repeatedly no more than then that . haven't touched the motor short of oil or governor removal air cleaner and a header pipe
    If you added air filter and pipe, you need to be changing your jetting before you burn the engine up from running lean

I did upgrade with a box stock carb I bought a kit from omb warehouse got a pipe carb and filter can't remember the jet size right now but its a little bigger thank stock my plugs are a dark tan to grey color I runs 60/40 mix of 100 octane and 87 .
    Just went back over the valves setting them at .003 ,the HemI valves are a bear lol but I got em .

ok lol so better springs i said stock but i never turned a motor 1000 rpm over peak power how small a track are you racing at.

1/5 and smaller, we race at several tracks. When the preds first came out we were running them out of the box, then rules were changed as we and another team kept winning and people kept complaining, until finally about year and half ago one track opened rules up to where anything goes as long as it has stock air box, weenie pipe and shoe clutch with $185 claim rule...been having fun, winning races and selling engines ever since then lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoremaster View Post
    I did upgrade with a box stock carb I bought a kit from omb warehouse got a pipe carb and filter can't remember the jet size right now but its a little bigger thank stock my plugs are a dark tan to grey color I runs 60/40 mix of 100 octane and 87 .
    Just went back over the valves setting them at .003 ,the HemI valves are a bear lol but I got em .
    Go to the hardware store and take your stock hemi head with you, you can buy some Allen head set screws to put in place of the adjusters that come in them, makes it much easier and faster to adjust the valve lash without a pair of needle nose pliers or vice grips to hold that dang square tip...theyre about 30 cents each