Thread: valve cover baffle

4 Cycle Advanced User

valve cover baffle

i want to put a valve stem in the the valve cover, for a breather,
    is there a way to take the valve cover apart in order to get the valve stem in with out destroying it??

Honda valve cover.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    No and why?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    valve cover has a hole in it, i want to be able to hook a breather line to it.... vent it to a catch can

4 Cycle Advanced User
    First thought is stick a hose in the hole .
    Just soldier a fitting in .

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverfaster View Post
    valve cover has a hole in it, i want to be able to hook a breather line to it.... vent it to a catch can
    What kind of hole?
    A whoops hole or factory hole.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    OEM HONDA valve cover...factory hole... i'm looking at maybe a barbed fitting i can tap or screw in and or braze in place... I like the way the LO206 has a valve stem in it

4 Cycle Advanced User
    if you can braze it should be simple 3/8 barbed fitting and10 minutes .
    done.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The LO206 does not have a fitting it just has a hole the same as a clone or honda.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    If hole is near valve stem size, say 5/8, rubber stem could be worked in from the outside. A little patience goes a long way.

If you want a metal stem, remove grommet, grind end just small enough to fit thru hole. Work grommet thru hole without losing stem into hole. Work onto stem and fit into hole. Install nut and washer.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart43 View Post
    The LO206 does not have a fitting it just has a hole the same as a clone or honda.
    I have 3 LO 206 motors each one came with a wheel valve stem in the valve cover

4 Cycle Advanced User
    NEXT question.. my honda motor doesn't have a place to hook up a pulse fitting... do i put one from the valve cover or do i pull the oil fill plug from the high end of the motor and just pull it each time i need to add oil?? Is there
    a better place?

4 Cycle Advanced User
    You will still need to vent valve cover to catch can. That's part of how rockers get lube.
    You can run fuel pump same as lo206 with fitting in fill hole, or drill and tap a hole somewhere in top of the crankcase, or side cover.

Unless rules forbid it, you also can drill and tap intake manifold for pulse.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The honda valve cover can be drilled and a fitting put in the valve cover the same as the clone has been for years. We always placed the fitting in the side cover.
    Briggs did not put the valve stem in the LO206 valve cover some one else did.
    The tube and catch can do not contribute to the oiling of the upper end, it simply is there to relieve pressure in the crankcase. The tube on a new engine goes into the intake system so the engine ingests the output, a part of the pollution control. The catch can really a descendant of the FH days as they put out a lot of oil due to the location of the breather, is really not as important on the OHV you do not see much oil in the container. The can catches anything that could drip on the track. We ran Honda engines for years with no tube or can as the rules did not require them.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    My post meant that the crankcase must be vented somewhere. if you use the valvecover hole for pulse, another hole is needed for this.

I always felt the oil mist in the air contributed to oiling the upper end. Maybe not.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Yes the oil is delivered to the top of the engine by air travel, the baffle allows air out of the engine but does not draw back in.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    No and why?
    Why not? The baffle pops out of place just like on clone valve covers

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The honda valve cover can be drilled and a fitting put in the valve cover the same as the clone has been for years. We always placed the fitting in the side cover.
    Briggs did not put the valve stem in the LO206 valve cover some one else did.
    The tube and catch can do not contribute to the oiling of the upper end, it simply is there to relieve pressure in the crankcase. The tube on a new engine goes into the intake system so the engine ingests the output, a part of the pollution control. The catch can really a descendant of the FH days as they put out a lot of oil due to the location of the breather, is really not as important on the OHV you do not see much oil in the container. The can catches anything that could drip on the track. We ran Honda engines for years with no tube or can as the rules did not require them.
    I have always tapped the hole on the valve covers, and used the 90* fittings like in Kart43's post that i quoted. I have never had an issue doing this, i also put a pulse fitting for the fuel pump at the top of the valve cover, but just a strait barbed fitting, not a 90* one like i put in the side for the vent hose. I tap my animal valve cover on the open animal on both sides, and use 2 of the 90* fittings to hook a hose to the catch can, again with no issues at all.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 shaw View Post
    My post meant that the crankcase must be vented somewhere. if you use the valvecover hole for pulse, another hole is needed for this.

I always felt the oil mist in the air contributed to oiling the upper end. Maybe not.
    The stock hole in the valve cover cannot be used for pulse, if it works at all it would be a weak pulse signal. That hole is strictly a vent for the crank case pressure, and if you use it for pulse, you have no way for the crankcase pressure to escape, and will eventually blow the oil seals in the sidecover or block, possibly ruin the fuel pump as well (could pop the diaphragm)

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by W5R View Post
    Why not? The baffle pops out of place just like on clone valve covers
    The plate in a honda valve cover is spot welded in it does not simply pop out.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The plate in a honda valve cover is spot welded in it does not simply pop out.
    I know, the spots can be ground and the baffle pops out, just like the clone covers though. I understood your post as saying the honda covers had a baffle that couldnt be removed at all, so i guess i misunderstood that...i apologize. Easiest way to fix his problem would just be to use a clone cover, with the baffle removed, or a Champion valve cover that is taller. If he is only barely getting contact, he could simply stack 2 or 3 valve cover gaskets and likely fix the issue, but he shouldnt be getting contact with stock valvetrain components in the first place, something is off here

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverfaster View Post
    NEXT question.. my honda motor doesn't have a place to hook up a pulse fitting... do i put one from the valve cover or do i pull the oil fill plug from the high end of the motor and just pull it each time i need to add oil?? Is there
    a better place?
    Your side cover doesnt have a yellow oil fill plug in the back or front side of the cover, as well as the plug in the top front? You should have 3 oil fill plugs in the briggs animal/206 side cover, like i mentioned. Most are using the top as the pulse, with a fitting screwed into it that has a nipple on the top to hook a pulse line to, and use the back fill plug to fill with oil.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Honda makes a real nice replacement valve cover with a nipple for the vent hose on it. See part number 12310-ZE1-842.

We stock lots of them.......

www.Bakerracingengines.com