Charlotte Expo  

Thread: Thoughts on 1 heat races instead of 2

4 Cycle Advanced User

Thoughts on 1 heat races instead of 2

What's your thoughts on trying this racing format for a race: pill draw for starting position in the heat, one heat then the features. Top 6 in the feature will Redraw for the starting position for the feature. Based on a full field of 14 karts.

We will take 14 karts into the A main features. B mains will be ran for classes over 14 karts. The laps for the heats and Features would be increased.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I like it, we are looking at doing a similar set up for our Friday night karts.. One 10-12 lap heat race for every 6 or 7 karts 30 lap main
    our guys get 2 practice sessions prior to events

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I would rather run 2 heats and a feature. I like track time and most racers that race for fun want track time.
    Now the money racers may prefer just qualifying plus feature. This limits wear and tear on equipment.
    1 heat plus feature can make it difficult if you have a bad draw and have to start in the back of the heat.

Ben Hur has a lot of luck with a one heat format!

4 Cycle Advanced User
    No way I would want a redraw for the feature.
    What benefit would there be for racing well?
    Win your heat and draw third row outside, no thanks.
    Assuming top. Six draw for those spots.
    I'd hate to pull 12.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I pay to race! If late nights are the problem. Fix the problem not the racing.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Agree with your one heat idea. we race at shaffers on Wednesday nights and its one heat and all of eastern pa is one heat. In fact, first time I went out there I asked where the second heat lineups were and they said "why would anyone want to run two heat races". I agree completely. Why? Lets be honest, its different than it was 10 to 15 years ago. There are multiple motors now. Not just one like back then. Back then a bad pill hurt you but nowawadays most classes only have a few karts at the local level. Why are we wasting time duplicating heat result after heat result. For those who want more racing, make the heats 12 and features 20. that's actually more racing than previous 2 heat format. No excuses. Still cuts the night in half. And is easier for scorers cutting your intermission in half figuring lineups. have been a big proponent of this in my area but no one cares to listen. Pay points to heat race to prevent the sand bagging as noted above also.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I totally agree with Brian44m. I race in IL and west IN and they run 2 heats. There have been nights that I was on the grid to start the feature at 230 am. I say one heat and passing points for feature starting position.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Why not just 5 laps of practice? the draw is for the feature and whoever can't make the feature on the draw can just go home. No need for any heats or qualifying.

One heat , and use a passing points system, so if you get a bad draw you still have a good shot at a good starting spot in the main. Add a couple laps to hot laps, a couple to your heat and a few more to your main. This way we get the same track time out of less times on the track. Getting kids home at 3-6 in the morning is ridiculous. JMO.

So with passing point the guy that's starts on the pole , wins the heat , may not start on the pole because he didn't get the option to pass anyone and get passing points? And if that same guy starts in the front and drops to the tail and comes back to win are passing points accumulated then also or is it based off starting position? IMO I say start the feature the way you finish the heat...

I'm good with that too. But I do like the one heat format. Some of these nights just take way too long. I just mentioned passing points as an option because someone is always going to think they got the short end of the stick. Lol...

4 Cycle Advanced User
    We run Fridays so time is limited.. we never run past 11pm. gates open at 5pm
    As our track grows, we will drop to a one heat then feature format..

Our future format will be like this.. 2 practice sessions. (8-10 laps each) 1st session is to make sure all of our transponders are working and get drivers some seat time to make adjustments... our second practice session is to get fastest lap for each kart.. (5 or 6 karts/ session) this will also get you points.. 1 for fastest and on down...this also then gives us our starting point... for the heat..
    the fastest guy starts in the back...

lowest overall points gets to the front.. of the feature.. features are 30+ laps depending on kart count..
    15 laps for features if 6 karts or less, then add 2 laps for every kart after

(sand baggers be ware... if you slack off in practice to get a favorable starting spot you will pay for it in the feature.. if you blow your time, you get panelized) We keep feature times from every week so we will know.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    If the track i run at goes to a one heat and a feature im done with kart racing.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    How in the world do you think that 1 heat race is at all fair for every racer? You had better have the best of the best to pull that one off. Problems with long nights??? Stop throwing the yellow flag for every little bobble. If you spin, lough luck, turn around and get going. Someone spins you, they had better watch out the next time you would be in the position to repay. RESPECT is what has been lost in this sport! Take off all those bumper bodies and then see who can handle it. Stop with the 40 million classes. Can't make a class for everyone. You don't make a class for the racer the racer suits up for the class. NO BREAKS! When you start racing from the first heat you don't stop until the last feature is run. This means that the track better be on their game. It has been done and I have not seen many track officials today that can handle it. Let alone someone that can prep a track correctly. Do even get me started on that one!

Brian #89

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I agree with Brian #89, Thacker , and ccking.................. There are too many Whiney a** * anymore, these people that run these tracks need to step up thier games
    And take notes from Larry boos, for example on sundays little Eldora gets 250 karts and we start at about noon and done by 6 or so!!!! That's with 2 heats hotlaps, features, and b mains. None of you other tracks get anywhere near that type of kart count and he gets it done in the same amount of time or faster as you 60 to 80 kart count tracks. ( And Larry does it with limited time since its Sunday and the sun goes down and their isn't lights at the track!!) Also I enjoy seat time and I pay to be on the track 2 heats and feature so to all you whiney as**s quit racing if you got sand in the *, and expect to be home in time to watch the price is right before you go to bed. Sounds like tracks need to step up their game and they should be a little more proactive and try to run a tight show like Larry does. I started racing when I was 5 years old and now I'm 27 and I loved the late nights at the track with dad and mom, so maybe the kids now days need to grow a pair as well as their parents. We need more promotors like Larry, enough said.
    Last edited by DarthDuck; 06-02-2017 at 08:59 PM.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    I haven't ran at little E yet but I agree two heats plus feature is doable if track knows what they are doing.
    If you have a good flagman, there is no reason why each race should take more than 10 minutes on average. Make karts lineup on grid and be ready. If you miss your race, you should have been ready.
    Black flag karts that continuously spin out and cause problems. If you have a class that continuously causes problems, establish a time limit for that class. After 15minutes you get the checkered whether you're on lap 5 or 10. With a time limit and a good flagman the on track BS goes away.
    If you can limit the amount of classes to 10 vs 20, and have the track ready to race on when the gates open, you will.have larger better classes and can still get 2 heats in.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    i like one heat in special nights or shows. If its a regular saturday night race two heats and a feature especially on a small track. If you go to a one heat format i believe you need to qualify. On a large track I like one heat. And on money shows open practice then qualify and go into features. Inverting doesnt make racing better in go karts. There are limited lines to run and make for much rougher racing with faster karts pushing through the field.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    We do one heat format every week. Absolutely fair. And that's with 15 to 20 karts in the class. Broken up into two heats. 10 lap heat 20 lap feature. Works. Every other type of racing does one heat. Why this two heat race thing started is beyond me. So the whiny $$$$$ * comments need to stop. You guys get way too worked up. Its just a kart race. Your not outlaws. WITH THE PROPOSED FORMAT ABOVE IT IS THE SAME AMOUNT OF RACING. Just takes less time.
    Last edited by DarthDuck; 06-02-2017 at 08:57 PM.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    The one heat format is the dumbest format, for the 20 years I've been in karts it's been 2 heats and feature, and if Larry boos can run 250 karts through on a Sunday afternoon then these lazy track promoters need to quit their jobs and let someone run it that can get the job done. And don't worry I'll keep on this thread to it gets locked if I have too. Brian44 or who ever you are how many karts does this wensday night track get? Also tracks in Ohio run usually Saturday's or Sunday's so people don't need to get to work on a Thursday. Larryboos running 250 karts in 5 to 6 hours makes all you other track promoters look plain dumb. The one heat format is just to band aid your inability to run a track and btw I have a 8000 dollar belt drive recon 450 kart for UAS so I'm not running one heat and a feature I pay to race not be a *. The only other format that even makes sense is qualifying and to features and I see that making sense down south for the big money race clone classes.
    Last edited by DarthDuck; 06-02-2017 at 09:22 PM.