Bob's 4 Cycle
List of Advertisers

Thread: Tire mounting question

Tire mounting question

Hello everyone,
    I just bought a go-kart from a friend that's been sitting a few years and the tires are cracked on some areas.
    I was looking for replacement slicks on the BMI site and it says to use a tire band when mounting the tires.
    Is that really required?
    I currently have a mini tire changer from harbor freight.
    I don't know the tire sizes right now but I'll check in a few hours when I get home from my job.
    I'm guessing 4 inch wide slicks up front and 7 wide in back and both on 5 inch wheels

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Yes use a tire band.... DO NOT use a 5 gallon bucket like some may suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesusfreak View Post
    Yes use a tire band.... DO NOT use a 5 gallon bucket like some may suggest...

5 gallon bucket? Lol

Do you know of any decent low cost tire bands or is the bmi band the only choice?
    I wasn't planning on spending another $80 for that but if I need it then whatever
    Thank you for replying

4 Cycle Advanced User
    They can be bought for cheaper. We offer a very nice adjustable band for less....but possibly you could have a local racer or kart shop help you out with mounting your tires.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz
    www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    28 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Nope, nothing that I know of that's close by.
    I'm in Bakersfield, CA and my wife is the person that pointed out a track that's kinda close to our my house (20 min away)
    Plus I'd rather just buy one instead of paying someone.
    What else do you have that I need
    I'll check out your site

My rear tires are 7.1/11.0-5
    and the fronts are 4.5/10.0-5

The Bridgestone tires it has now aren't as bad as I thought. Luckily the track in know of has used tires with decent life left that were left behind from previous racers and I have a couple sets for the front and I'm sure I can get some for the rear.
    If not then I just want something that will last. I don't need a soft compound, just something that will get me or my kids around the track with a modified predator engine.

Sprint kart huh?

For $100 I'm happy even though the brakes need work.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    If you plan on racing dirt, look into Burris SS33A brand and compound tires, they are a great middle of the road compound that will last seasons when taken care of properly. You need to check and see what tire rules the track may have, if any. Some specify a certain brand and compound that must be used for certain classes. Consider switching to 6" diameter wheels also, there are alot more 6" tires available used than there are 5" tires.

Does anyone know the make of that kart? I have one identical to it and have always wondered what it was.

Oddly enough, I bought mine for $100 too.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Just from what you can see on the fron end it kind of looks like a bug super sprint or older style Coyote Bullet.

I plan on taking it to a asphalt race track. It's just dirty as hell right now because it was in my friends back yard for a long time ha ha ha

4 Cycle Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinhillbilly View Post
    Does anyone know the make of that kart? I have one identical to it and have always wondered what it was.

Oddly enough, I bought mine for $100 too.
    It's an invader. Late 70s early 80s. Has the invader brake caliper/disc. Also you can see it has the stubs that invader used for mounting the front bumper as well as a few other things I see that point towards an invader

Just the brakes?
    That kart needs tons of work, rear axle, bearings, brake set, tie rods, nerf bars, front bumper.
    Basically you gave 100.00 for an old chassis

Quote Originally Posted by lalojamesliz View Post
    Sprint kart huh?

For $100 I'm happy even though the brakes need work.
    Venomjuice.com Tire Prep

4 Cycle Advanced User
    be worth every busted knuckle, special word you spend once you get on it and ride

Quote Originally Posted by foreverfaster View Post
    be worth every busted knuckle, special word you spend once you get on it and ride
    Not really, because not only are parts going to be hard to come by, but by the time he gets that chassis where a track will deem it safe to race he could of bought a newer kart for about the same money
    Venomjuice.com Tire Prep

4 Cycle Advanced User
    What kind of engine is that?

Just for the record, I have NEVER used a tire band to mount tires. It may be helpful if you are competing but for a fun kart a tire band is totally unnecessary.

4 Cycle Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Just for the record, I have NEVER used a tire band to mount tires. It may be helpful if you are competing but for a fun kart a tire band is totally unnecessary.
    I suppose if you are mounting a 6" wide tire on a 6" wide wheel you may be able to mount them without a band; but, try mounting a tire on a wheel 2" wider than the tire and without a band you're gonna need 100# of air to get it to seat and that's not something any sane person will want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcis71 View Post
    I suppose if you are mounting a 6" wide tire on a 6" wide wheel you may be able to mount them without a band; but, try mounting a tire on a wheel 2" wider than the tire and without a band you're gonna need 100# of air to get it to seat and that's not something any sane person will want to do.
    Just mounted up two 11x7.10-5 tires on 8" wheels yesterday with no problem. Now I don't use those mega wide wheels like they do in oval racing for my sprint racing. But for the OPs fun kart he absolutely does not need a band. I have been mounting sprint kart tires since about 94 and have never used a band.

Well this is good to hear. I was looking at ordering one this morning.
    I don't want to get hurt though. Why do some people say it's absolutely necessary but some dont?

I'm not entering in any official races, just a local track with my kids and a predator engine. The engine mounted on it right now is a atv engine but that's coming off
    I don't see how I gave away $100......

4 Cycle Advanced User SoCo Tire Treatments's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Just mounted up two 11x7.10-5 tires on 8" wheels yesterday with no problem. Now I don't use those mega wide wheels like they do in oval racing for my sprint racing. But for the OPs fun kart he absolutely does not need a band. I have been mounting sprint kart tires since about 94 and have never used a band.
    Not saying every tire in the country a band is a "must" have, but ill tell you this, mount up a 6.00 Vega, Maxxis on an 8.5" wheel, you best have a band of some design.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX#40 View Post
    Just the brakes?
    That kart needs tons of work, rear axle, bearings, brake set, tie rods, nerf bars, front bumper.
    Basically you gave 100.00 for an old chassis
    I feel like I gave $100 for a rolling chassis but I'm OK with that

Quote Originally Posted by lalojamesliz View Post
    I feel like I gave $100 for a rolling chassis but I'm OK with that
    When you take that kart to any track it and the driver has to go through safety tech, you don't pass you don't enter the track.
    It's an insurance reason.
    Rolling chassis for playing in the yard yes, for the track all you have is a chassis
    Venomjuice.com Tire Prep