Ohio Valley Swap Meet  

Thread: What kind of plastic are blue electrical boxes made of?

Devanced User

What kind of plastic are blue electrical boxes made of?

Long story short I bought an ABS plastic electrical enclosure. I'd like to "glue" blue plastic electrical boxes from Lowe's inside of it. I know there's ABS and PVC plastic which I can find an appropriate glue to fix them together in the plumbing department. What I don't know is what the blue electrical boxes are made of. I need to glue blue electrical boxes to the interior of a 14"x7"x5" ABS enclosure.

I suspect I can use an ABS to PVC glue but not know what blue electrical boxes are made of I'm not sure. And if not reply I can use trial and error to find out, but with all the knowledge out there on Bob's, I shouldn't have to rely on trial and error.

help... please????

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Why would you glue anything to the box, there are fasteners that attach to the box that accept pvc, glue to that part so if you have to replace/change it is not a major repair?

Devanced User
    Thanks for the reply. I'm putting together a 14"x7"x5" abs box which will have a security dome camera coming out of it. The camera is POE(power over Ethernet) and will connect to a Netgear AC750 wifi/wired network extender.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-A...MEAGqlGTb84on8 via the a 5 port poe Ethernet switch also in the box.

The connections are inside my home I have the Netgear unit which hooks my router to the AC circuits in my home. In the back yard I have a pole with a mercury light on it wired to a wifi WEMO switch inside my house. Internet service for the camera will go from my Router inside through the light pole switch, out to the Netgear extender inside the enclosure up on the pole. The extender has an ethernet port on it which will connect to a 5 port poe switch. The switch will then feed both internet and power to the camera. So I don't have to climb a pole to reset anything inside the enclosure there will be two WEMO wifi units in the enclosure. One to turn the mercury light on and off and put it on a timer if I like and the other to control power remotely to the poe switch. The netgear wifi extender will be on all the time in the enclosure and it will reset if needed by the WEMO switch inside my house.

End result is I will have a new security camera up top of a pole in my backyard and all units up on the pole and inside the enclosure will independently be able to be turned on or off remotely. The whole point of complication inside the enclosure is to be able to reset or put on a timer anything up top of the pole without having to climb the pole. Cost ain't cheap. Enclosure was $68, netgear extender $70, 5 port poe switch $38, 2 short ethernet patch cables $8, outlets and braided wire for inside enclosure probably will be another $18, a can of spray paint to paint the ABS uv sensitive enclosure to protect it and color it to my choise $8. That adds up to $210 and then add onto it the cost of a camera. Poe cameras for outdoors range from $40 to just under $800 for one with all the whistles and bells. I already have a dome poe camera I bought years ago for $150.

$210 may sound like a lot to put a security camera on a pole, but it's not in my thinking when I consider I'm not only getting a security camera installed, but also getting my wifi extended with great signal bars out into the yard and I can reset and control all items install remotely from anywhere. Now with google Alexa and the Ubi ifttt app installed on my phone, from anywhere in the world to turn the light on all I have to say into my phone is "trigger backyard". If I want to turn on the switch inside my home on all I have to say is "Alexa backyard on".

Next on my wishlist of gadgets for the home is an automatic shower valve that you don't have to bother touching to adjust your shower water temperature. They already have units you touch to pick your shower temperature and get the water adjusted before you shower. But for me it's dumb to have to physically touch and turn the water on if you could instead simply say, "warm shower on" or "hot shower on" and it will go to what ever temp you previously selected. Shortly we won't have to turn much of anything in the house on or off. If it's night and you walk from the bedroom to the kitchen to get something motion sensors will turn on dim lights so you can see or you can speak what ever light you want on and it goes on. Right now I don't have to turn lights and things off inside my home when I leave because if I have my phone with me my house knows I left via knowing my phone left the area. When I return different things go on depending on how close I get to home. If the heat or air was turned down because I took a trip to a race, it doesn't turn down until it knows I've gone far away or I manually made it turn down when I left. But coming home it knows when I get close enough that the house will be temperature ready for me when I get home and turns heating or cooling to the temp I want in time. With today's technology you can pretty much just go about your business in your home not having to bother with the annoying pain of having to turn lights on or off. And if you want something different just tell what you want different what to do and it does it for you. I bought a wifi humidifier and it's great. Next will be a wifi crockpot for my wife and this summer I can't wait to get my wifi smoker and wifi meat temp probs for the grill. Set it and forget it is now outdated. It's prepare your bbq, steaks or what ever, install temp probes and check your phone to see how their doing. Add a camera to your bbq and smoker and you can also see how their doing. Next will come to check on what your cooking to say, "Alexa how are the steaks doing" and Alexa will respond "there at 150*s and you'd better hurry home because your far enough away that if you dilly dally like you usually do, they will be over done".

This morning I woke up with the idea of using double sided velcro instead of glue, problem solved and thanks for the advice. Inside the enclosure i'll also use braided wire instead of solid wire to make it easy to position and work on inside parts.

paul
    Last edited by paulkish; 03-03-2017 at 08:47 AM.

4 Cycle Advanced User
    Seam sealer, it's used in auto manufacturing, you can get it at orielly auto I think , I know jegs sells it too

Devanced User
    thank andy, I picked up the electrical 1 gang boxes and stuff I need for inside the enclosure today, plus a 5" hole saw at harbor freight. I think what I'm making is sort of cool and if I can i'll post a picture of it when put together. It's pretty much just stick or hang it anywhere there's power. And you have a camera hard wired to your router on the interned, plus it also contains a wifi extender. I think I now have $250 in it without the cost of the camera. Neat thing is I already tried out the parts to see if my idea will work and it does. I figure on putting it together tomorrow if I don't go to Lincoln Speedway to watch a race and bs in the pits.