Thread: Clone gearing for 1/4 mile asphalt green plate

Clone gearing for 1/4 mile asphalt green plate

Hello new to the forums and totally new to the clone engines, Im getting my kid started we are going to a 1/4 flat asphalt track he's 9 so we where told to run a green plate clone motor, I picked up a used one from a dirt kart that has a weenie pipe exhaust to get started. We set-up a used Phenom chassis with yellow vega tires approx. 33" diam. right sides with 10lbs of air, I was told to run this motor for 5700 rpm range? I have a Bully 2 disc it came with that has a 15 driver this is a new track to karting this year so I dont know who to ask for gearing advice so looking here I have no issues buying a different driver and I have rear gears 63-66 teeth all #35. My kids never ran a race kart before so I know he'll be learning as well so I dont want to gear it for max speed and not be able to recover from mistakes just looking for a starting point on driver and rear read to much on here about driver size effects and being gear bound with a clone I confused myself even more. Thanks.

Quarter mile is a big track provided you can pretty much flatfoot it building max momentum which usually a track that big you can, it will be a 19 front driver Min most likely a 20/64 ish would be best, in your case with son being new never raced I'd start him on an 18/62 and go from there, you need to pick up more rear gears at least get a 60,61,62, to add to what you have, for any chance at all of your 15 front driver to work it would have to be real tight turned on both ends of the track totally out of the throttle, even then for green plate most likely at least a 16 front, If you try something and are not sure and there are adult Sr clones there ask some of the fast guy's there what front driver there on, you will be 2 front driver sizes bigger for sure.

Good Luck !!

The one time we went to a big car track , I'm sure I did not have a big enough driver on.
    You may not want to shoot for that 5700 rpm .
    reason being it may hit 5700 but where half way down the straight .
    with out some room for it to run on you may limit its ability too gain speed.
    Airtight Garage Est 1982
    Waller Racing
    Phantom Chassis
    Dover Power
    Paid 4 cycle subscriber

Thanks I'll grab some drivers and gears nice to have an idea, another question does motor placement on the frame rails matter? Seems there's alot of room to go either way, I have it as far back as possible currently. We scaled out with about 45 front weight 52 left weight and 56 cross on some borrowed scales. I have 10" rims on the rights and 6" rims on the lefts approx. 1.25 of stagger both at these sizes, guy I got the kart from said to use both left sides narrow on pavement but gave me a extra 8" rim sized tire said its a lr on dirt application.

I assume you used your 15 front driver when you set it now as far back as possible, you will want to move it more towards the middle so you have some room for it to slide If you need to run a smaller front driver and or smaller rear gears, other wise you will need to break the chain down to do so which you want to avoid at the track.

Place the motor, approximately 1.5-2Ē in front of the nerf bar tube. That will help you with nose weight and changing gear sizes.
    33Ē with 10# of air seems real small for a Yellow Vega.
    Iíd bump nose to 46.5, left looks good and drop cross to 51-52 ish.
    Iím guessing your at Adirondack ?

Yep going to try at Adirondack we been wanting to start in karting for awhile but visiting clay tracks and hearing how much tires matter and different preps involved didn't really want to go that route, things sure changed in 30yrs back when I ran clay we where on t2 and k21 treads. The tires are used still showing on wear dots but used for sure and where pre-mounted biggest ones like 33.5" on 10lbs, if things work out I'll source better tires to keep going. Anyone know if the EVS R4K neck brace is considered legal for jr divisions? was told a Vahalla ones preferred but bulky looking not even sure if he'll be able to wear any of these without it hitting the against the seat. Thanks everyone for the help.

A foam neck brace is legal, so Iím sure that one is too.
    Check out chest protectors to prevent him from crushing ribs on the steering wheel. Thereís a few types out there, my kids never liked the full vest type, just wore the chest plate.

I read into your posts a but more, donít be fooled by tire prep, we prep for asphalt too, just not how we do for dirt.