Thread: Predator Engine Shuts off at 1/4 throttle

Predator Engine Shuts off at 1/4 throttle

My predator engine after starting fine will just shut off for no reason if I give it just a little bit of throttle. It runs fine and won the last time out but donít understand why this happens. Any ideas?

Check for adequate venting in the fuel cap. Must be drilled out.

I have one hole in it now. Iíll add a few more. Why would that cause it just want to learn not questioning your thought.

When was last time out ?
    Any changes since then ?
    With out a good vent fuel won't flow .
    Airtight Garage Est 1982
    Waller Racing
    Phantom Chassis
    Dover Power
    Paid 4 cycle subscriber

The fuel that leaves the tank must be replaced by air. It's like sucking soda through a straw. Too small and you can suck your brains out.

little confused.. lets separate the issues..
    as the kart sets and idles, its fine, but if you go to take off and give it some throttle say 1/4 as you mentioned... it stalls???... if this is the issue. pull and clean the carb and make sure the float is working as it should... i have had dirt get into the carb and cause this issue... also adjust up your idle.. Just my .02

full speed stalls are common as being not vented enough. along with float not letting enough fuel in.

Yes it idles fine. Give it a little gas and it will stall out. If you give it gas with the choke on then take the choke off and give it full throttle it runs fine. I can lift and go full throttle from that point not problem. The main problem is sitting on the grid making sure it doesn't stall out or if we got a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    My predator engine after starting fine will just shut off for no reason if I give it just a little bit of throttle. It runs fine and won the last time out but donít understand why this happens. Any ideas
    Stock ? Any mods ?

Complete stock. Only spark plug has been changed

Sounds like fuel issues. Was any gas left in stock tank ? Is so might wanna pull tank and clean the little filter where fuel line connects at tank and fully disassemble carb and clean. And if your carb has a sediment bowl under fuel shutoff on carb make sure it's clean.

Took the carb apart and cleaned it all out. It seemed clean but took the jets out and sprayed and issue is gone. Mustíve been something in there. Still curious why it was only at a quarter throttle. Ran fine on the track. Like I said we won the last time out on it.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    Took the carb apart and cleaned it all out. It seemed clean but took the jets out and sprayed and issue is gone. Mustíve been something in there. Still curious why it was only at a quarter throttle. Ran fine on the track. Like I said we won the last time out on it.

Thanks all!
    particle's floating around.. vibrations from the motor keep the particle's from setting still in the hole and/or as you accelerate, fuel pulls or pushes the particles blocking/unblocking a fuel passage just enough. which is why once you got up to speed it would run great... its just that first 30 feet that kill ya