Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 206 chassis

Quote Originally Posted by brianmead View Post
    A hole drilled in the top steering block and steering shaft that you can cotter pin that would lock the steering dead center.

I have often wondered this as well, Gary.
    I get that the sprint crowd doesn't live on scales and use laser aligners like we do on dirt ovals, (though I'm not entirely sure why not) but why don't more sprint chassis at least have a toe-lock to hold the steering geometry in place while you are working on the car (ie camber, toe, etc.)

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz
    www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
    30 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

19 and 20mm toe locks are available from Riekens (out2win.com) Very simple solution. IMO drilling a permanent hole in your shaft for a toelock wouldn't be wise. Use the proven method that the dirt guys use.

https://out2win.com/catalog/steer_toelocks.html#bush

Caution on the horizontal drilled front nerf spuds. IF you can't get a drill in there to precision align a nerf hole you might wish the hole was vertical. I learned this the hard way back in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    19 and 20mm toe locks are available from Riekens (out2win.com) Very simple solution. IMO drilling a permanent hole in your shaft for a toelock wouldn't be wise. Use the proven method that the dirt guys use.

https://out2win.com/catalog/steer_toelocks.html#bush
    Have these on all my karts. It simplifies a lot of the tuning (scaling, checking toe or camber, etc.).

Just cause ďmost guysĒ donít scale their karts that often, doesnít mean the best donít. I guarantee you the fastest sprint guys know their percentages. I scale mine before every weekend to make sure iím on my baseline to start every race weekend prep.

I think it comes down to what the average guy wants/needs. I would venture to say most guys donít know their percentages (and wouldnít know what to do with the numbers if they did). Thatís why my recommendation was a Kart with minimal adjustments. Less stuff to get screwed up.

Brian
    That's really cool idea.
    That's about as simple as it gets but i'm wondering if there would be a liability issue if the Mfg. drilled a hole through the steering column and something bad happened?
    B FASTER

Shoot, I still scribe my tires with a drywall screw and measure between for toe.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Brian
    That's really cool idea.
    That's about as simple as it gets but i'm wondering if there would be a liability issue if the Mfg. drilled a hole through the steering column and something bad happened?

The minimum shaft diameter that I've seen on karts is 5/8" and many/most are now larger for sprint chassis.
    An 1/8" hole would be adequate and a hardened pin, or 1/8" drill blank would suffice nicely.
    I am sure that the liability would be no greater (or lesser) with this provision than it already is.
    If something bad happens; sue-happy, ambulance chaser, blood sucking, liars...err lawyers, will go after the manufacturer, track, and yes even the safety crew individually anyhow. The tubing diameter of some steering shafts would be a bigger factor than an alignment pin hole...Besides, the manufacturer has already made himself liable by opening his doors and selling the first chassis.

We use toe-locks on all of our chassis, and actually sell several different brands through our shop.
    I wouldn't even consider scaling or aligning without one anymore.

My Arrow kart has this style of steering lock. No hole to drill.
    https://www.fastech-racing.com/steer...rt-w-lock.html
    I also have the other style posted above on another kart, I like the pinch bolt better as the lock pin style has some slop that I had to fix by using a pin from my pin gauge set.

Margay puts a steering lock hole in their karts and provides a locking pin. I bought our chassis used and made my own locking pin.

The Comet Eagle, a VERY good version of the Arrow 4S has a the same steering lock.

Yikes
    The old saying that "Opinions are like belly buttons" and i've got one too.
    Of course, if you make the steering shaft big enough and the hole through it small enough there is very little to worry about.
    I'll leave it to the people that design the kart to decide if it's appropriate to do it this way and accept the liability associated with it.
    I respect everyone's opinion and isn't that what Gary asked for?
    Additionally, i would think that if you wanted to eliminate any play when you lock the steering wheel a bolt through the shaft with a nut on the opposite side would do the best job of locking everything tight, with no play.
    B FASTER

Why not a left side engine mount. I've seen prototypes of these (Benik I thin). It would get the chain/driveshaft farther from the driver and help balance the kart with less seat offset.

Great way to pass the winter months discussing 206 racing until the season starts.

Winter months?

It was -10 in Indy last week. We take winters off here in the Midwest. You probably take summer off in Arizona when it's 115 lol.

Does anyone remember a kart called a shamrock from the late 90s I'd guess? It had a million adjustments and probably weighed 175. I remember seeing it in magazines back then. Never took off or had much success. Would love to see a pic if anyone has one.

Brian Sheridan built the Shamrock.

Steve Kilsdonk had one......maybe he has some pictures ??

There were lots of Shamrocks here
    back in the day but I think it was a little ahead of it's time. I don't remember them as being fast. I don't think most people had any idea what to do with all of the adjustments.
    B FASTER

We race 12 months a year......a tad warm in the summer but when the sun goes down it isn't an issue. Unfortunately gates open at 2 pm! But it is a DRY HEAT !!!

Dry heat my lol. You sweat as soon as you walk outside. It is weird that 85 in the evening feels really comfortable.

Anyone a magazine collector have one of those old national kart news mags they want to dig up and find that Shamrock kart? It was way ahead of its time on adjustability. They never made it over my way into Ohio. National kart news had a cool article back then where they listed all the different karts/specs with pics.
    Last edited by flattop1; 02-07-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: language

Gary,

Text me your cell number to (920)946-2348. A fellow kart racer of mine has a Shamrock kart chassis that was built by Brian Sheridan. He is out of office right now, but I will see if I can get some pictures of his kart for you and text them to you. Sorry, but I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this website.

Interesting topic...Road America Kart Racer, Mark

I'm waiting for someone to make a rear engined kart again to get the motor out of the airflow for roadracing. Put it on a swing mount and add 2 rear discs and calipers on either side of the right swing mount bearing for RR safety. Instant reduction in front area, only drawback I see is higher Cg (add your seat weights lower to compensate) and muffler packaging issues (can be looked into...)

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mikeclementsracing.com/Vintagekarts.html - shamrock (for sale ) on Mike Clement's page.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlsonMotorsports View Post
    I have often wondered this as well, Gary.
    I get that the sprint crowd doesn't live on scales and use laser aligners like we do on dirt ovals, (though I'm not entirely sure why not) but why don't more sprint chassis at least have a toe-lock to hold the steering geometry in place while you are working on the car (ie camber, toe, etc.)
    All I have ever done is sprint racing and just speaking from my experience laser aligners and scales are as common in sprint racing as a Tachometer in the community we race in. I do wish I could lock the steering on our OTK kart instead of my son leaning over the back of the seat holding it steady while I'm adjusting tie rods.

On the foreign karts, we just take a pair of Vice Grips and put just enough pressure on the nylon bushing to hold shaft in position.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Curry View Post
    On the foreign karts, we just take a pair of Vice Grips and put just enough pressure on the nylon bushing to hold shaft in position.
    Donít forget to take them off after! Iíve come off the track a few times with vice grips in my lap.

Thanks Mike
    Yes that works great!
    When you forget to taKe the pin out of the "American style Lock" it makes it hard to get on the track.
    Unfortunately, i did that to a customer that was renting a kart for the season. It only happened once.
    B FASTER

Gary, You know we are in favor of a longer front end. It doesn't necessarily need to be a limo kart but the front pedals should have some fwd. adjustment to them. Paul Rice has a good setup with lots of adjustment on his Espionage for tall drivers. It worked great for my Mike who is the 6'4"incher you probably had in mind on your earlier posts>

Left side seat strut would be an adjustable piece, right side welded is good. Top quality rear cassettes that dont wear after a 1/2 season of racing and keeps the bearings from floating...with top quality hangers that provide vertical adjustment without individually drilled holes. Good clean slots work great. I see no need for the figure 8 holes in the rear.. Up or down on both sides for ride height with adjustment in between.

Steering lock, Something other than the thin brake rotor. . Possibly the vented aluminum from MCP. The Caliper mounted on the left rear hanger not cross bar. 40mm rear and 17 mm front. I prefer the pills or the Sniper adjusters.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1dh View Post
    Swift Kart in Whiteland, IN does something like that on their engine side adjustable seat strut. Keeps it from dragging on the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/51077772594...type=3&theater
    See the red chassis in the back? I'll be on that this year, 2017 used kart I got from Swift.. Gonna run a handfull or so of Asphalt races mixed with the dirt stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxT Out View Post
    See the red chassis in the back? I'll be on that this year, 2017 used kart I got from Swift.. Gonna run a handfull or so of Asphalt races mixed with the dirt stuff..
    PM me. Where are you running it?