Thread: What is this engine?

What is this engine?

I'm just wondering. Does anyone know what this engine is from the picture? Looks like it might be an IAME but not sure what size or class this would be for.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1849754180329/

Thank you

IAME Leopard. Used for SR an JR (with smaller exhaust header) TAG classes in sprint and road-racing. Good motors, ran ours for a few years with no issues.

Early Leopard (pre MY09). You can tell by the box on the left hand side with the red/green buttons. Later model Leopards have a key starter. You would have to run a track/series that has a TAG class.

Yes my club does have a tag senior class. Not sure I should take the plunge though. Actually there’s several used options around here. I guess everyone’s offingvtheir 2-cycles for Briggs these days. O

The folks replying are correct, it's an old style IAME Leopard. The motor package right now is only worth MAYBE $500-700 in good condition. It's also likely an older TopKart, which would be fine for a starter. (we have an old Leopard in our trailer we can't get rid of!!!)
    A heads up though, IAME will no longer make Leopard parts, so just be aware of that. At some point parts will be very hard to come by. The current IAME 125 Tag motor is the X30. Much superior to either of the Leopard models with great parts availability.
    Tag's of any sort are a LOT more work and expense then a Briggs 206. Faster, or course...but! You will pay more for the yearly rebuild on that Leopard then a BRAND new 206 costs. And when it breaks something..wow$$$ And it will eat tires.
    Get a nice used 206 package, race it, watch the Tag class and learn as much as you can about it, and have fun learning on your 206.
    I know of what I speak. My son and I road race with WKA and the Woodbridge Kart Club. He runs a IAME X30 and we both run Margay Ignites with Briggs LO206's on them. There is NO comparison with the level of expense and work between the two classes. And neither one of us is convinced the 206's aren't more fun to race...eg: huge packs
    Hope my rambling helps!
    Have a great Christmas and holiday season folks,
    Clark Gaynor Sr.

Thanks. I actually also saw a Rotax Max on the local FB marketplace. Actually the Rotax kart was almost 2k less than this IAME. Though I'm going to pass on both for now, especially this IAME as the seller sent me some engine close-ups. Looks like its been 5+ years since the engine was rebuilt. Its got more corrosion than in the main pictures. Almost like salt corrosion. Strange.

I've ultimately decided to hold off and possible get a Briggs 206 setup. Maybe even start with a Cadet setup for my 8-year old and make moves from there. Right now we only have the little kid kart, but if this family hobby works out for everybody then we'll be looking at about 3 karts for us total. We're all going to be learning from nothing basically, though I've done the mid-speed rentals for years.

Good choice. May I also suggest buying from a vendor at the track where you intend to race. Or an individual who races there. FB and ebay are fine for somethings, but not racing stuff IMHO!
    Have fun either way. This forum is an excellent place to ask questions and learn!
    Clark Gaynor Sr.