Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larger tire and caster

Are you prepping these tires ? If so do you feel they are as soft as they should be ?
    I ask because depending on how I felt the tires were hooked up would sway my thought's on which way to go with Castor & and or Track width adjustments.

Terminology can confuse anyone.
    Scrub is the in and out of the tire/,wheel combination.
    The trail is effected by caster . Where the intersecting point is projected forward.
    Having that point closer to the contact patch may be better.
    Are you or can you prep tires?
    Any handling issue specificly?
    Last edited by flattop1; 12-06-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Spell

No prep
    Small Bull ring medium banked track. Bottom 1/10 mile. Momentum
    Stock Pred.
    Turn entry a tiny bit tight.
    Notice tightness more on high entry with less steering input.
    Free's up in center.
    Center-off not really back-steering, but sensitive to the loose side.
    I feel like maybe I've got a little too much stagger in it.
    There's a point from just before center to center-off where if I don't nail it just right it becomes loose...... not freakish loose or rear grip loose... just turns really well. Will end up on the bottom on exit accidentally. Having to focus on minimizing steering input. Just after center-off feels great again.
    Will be running taller gear next time out. After last setup change I'm banging out almost all the way around the track from turn speed increase. I feel like the tightness on entry will expose itself more with taller gear.... but that's yet to have been seen.
    I don't necessarily think caster will be the fix-all, I just want to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesloney View Post
    No prep
    Small Bull ring medium banked track. Bottom 1/10 mile. Momentum
    Stock Pred.
    Turn entry a tiny bit tight.
    Notice tightness more on high entry with less steering input.
    Free's up in center.
    Center-off not really back-steering, but sensitive to the loose side.
    I feel like maybe I've got a little too much stagger in it.
    There's a point from just before center to center-off where if I don't nail it just right it becomes loose...... not freakish loose or rear grip loose... just turns really well. Will end up on the bottom on exit accidentally. Having to focus on minimizing steering input. Just after center-off feels great again.
    Will be running taller gear next time out. After last setup change I'm banging out almost all the way around the track from turn speed increase. I feel like the tightness on entry will expose itself more with taller gear.... but that's yet to have been seen.
    I don't necessarily think caster will be the fix-all, I just want to talk about it.
    Explain what you mean by banging out almost all the way around the track from turn speed increase ? Is that meant for motor related or handling related ?

For entry add more nose, or open the split

Quote Originally Posted by Nesloney View Post
    Insight welcomed.
    We run a class with Carlisle 13x6.5-6 being largest tire.
    The diameter of tire is significantly longer than that of typical slicks. Assume I'm running + caster in front.
    Dynamically the caster would effect camber change and load transfer on or off corner More dramatically than a smaller diameter tire; would it not? I'm not so much looking for suggested settings rather affirmation "or not" of my thinking. What say you?
    My answer to you IMHO is Yes. Flattop1 IMHO also gave you an answer leaning towards you are thinking correctly. XXX#40 IMHO is clueless in this instance about your question and you should not even bother thinking about anything he wrote in this thread. All reading his words will do is put confusion into your already correct thought process.

Dynamically the tire will load quicker and towards a more concentrated use of the tire. At least that's what I think and it ain't necessairly right anyway. ... except for the part about XXX#40 in this case being clueless and not understanding your question. ...

edit: I'm not in any way saying XXX#40 doesn't know his stuff far far better then I could ever hope to. I'm only saying what he offered IMHO has nothing to do with what "I" feel you asked about. I "FEEL" your thought process is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by racing promotor View Post
    Explain what you mean by banging out almost all the way around the track from turn speed increase ? Is that meant for motor related or handling related ?
    Engine related
    Out of gear. Valve float

Kart was tight in...loose center off....I call it pushy loose.
    Made a handful of adjustments and handling got Mucho better.....so much better that my exit speed put me outside power range.
    going from 12-66 to 11-59.
    Last edited by Nesloney; 12-08-2018 at 01:25 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by paulkish View Post

not understanding your question. ... .
    Thank you for point of view. In fact everyone's input is greatly appreciated. Going down the wormhole brings out some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX#40 View Post
    For entry add more nose, or open the split
    While walking the pits I noticed nearly every kart in my class had significantly more nose weight than I did.
    During the race I leaned up out of the seat and over the steering wheel just to try it.
    It felt better on entry......I'm glad you said something because I had forgotten about that.
    Thank You