OVKA Swap Meet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carburetor issue

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Gee
    Only 6 years out of the fuel pump.
    Only 6 years....

Quote Originally Posted by Kart43 View Post
    I hope you did solve your problem, If your engine was doing laps on the track and running at half throtlle or more I doubt it was the pump, as it was keeping the bowl full while the engine was consuming lots of fuel' You say it would quit when you let the throttle off that would not be the pump, if the bowl is full, it is the low speed circuit that supplies the fuel, if the circuit was working it would run till the fuel is gone. You fixed something in the carb.
    I had cleaned out the carb and could not figure out what was wrong. So, I ended up taking the carb to dover power, and explained the problem to them that I was having. They rebuilt the carb and I also bought a new fuel pump. Got everything back yesterday, hooked it up and everything worked great. Those guys at dover power are really helpful. They spent the time talking with me. Learned some things I did not know. Sometime this year I will be buying a new engine from those guys. From now on, if I have any issues, I will be going back to them. They even told me that if I was having any issues when I am at the track, to call them and they will help me over the phone.

They took care of your clutch issue also.
    Great pepole.
    Airtight Garage Est 1982
    Waller Racing
    Phantom Chassis
    Dover Power
    Paid 4 cycle subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by flattop1 View Post
    They took care of your clutch issue also.
    Great pepole.
    What do you mean?

Did'nt Dover take care of your clutch problem.

Quote Originally Posted by flattop1 View Post
    Did'nt Dover take care of your clutch problem.
    I forgot about that. Yes they did. Those guys are really helpful.

Took the kart to GoPro Wednesday and the issue started coming back again. When I first started it up it was idling at 2000. When I came off the track after the first session, I briefly took my foot off the throttle and the engine cut off again. I changed the spark plug, air filter, moved the c-clip up to the second from the bottom. Started the engine up again. It would start out at around 1800, then steadily drop to the 1100 range. It didn't cut off, but always sounded like it was about to. I was at least able to finish running laps for the rest of the day. I'm confused about why this is happening.

You don't drive it at idle! It's just warming up and the idle drops a little. Let it warm up then set the idle a little higher.
    It only needs to idle long enough for you to get in, then you keep it running with your right foot. Turn the idle up a little and don't over think it.
    Clark Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkSr View Post
    You don't drive it at idle! It's just warming up and the idle drops a little. Let it warm up then set the idle a little higher.
    It only needs to idle long enough for you to get in, then you keep it running with your right foot. Turn the idle up a little and don't over think it.
    Clark Sr.
    The speed screw is turned in all the way. I can't turn it up anymore. Funny thing is, I just started it up about an hour ago, and it ran fine. Why does the engine just about want to cut off after I have it out on the track? This may be off topic but the engine feels sluggish. What would cause that?

Do you have the needle clip in the bottom #5 hole? If so it will not idle. Edit, I see you moved it up 1. Ok, so once the engine gets warmed up the idle will go down. So set the idle when the engine is warm. Now, when I want to run the #5 needle clip position I can't get the engine to idle very well. So I will adjust the idle with the throttle cable on the pedal or on the top of the carb under the black dust boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad View Post
    Do you have the needle clip in the bottom #5 hole? If so it will not idle. Edit, I see you moved it up 1. Ok, so once the engine gets warmed up the idle will go down. So set the idle when the engine is warm. Now, when I want to run the #5 needle clip position I can't get the engine to idle very well. So I will adjust the idle with the throttle cable on the pedal or on the top of the carb under the black dust boot.
    Thanks for this info. I just recently found out about adjusting the idle with the part under the black boot.

Just recently you had the carb rebuilt by Dover Power, they returned it to you with the clip on the needle in position 5? You said you moved it up one slot.

Are you sure your clutch is disengaging completly, will it sit on the road and not creep away on you.?

Bill, bring it down to vintage/ CIK practice at Kershaw next week, Iíll put it on my Dyno and weíll check it out.

Bruce J

Just recently you had the carb rebuilt by Dover Power, they returned it to you with the clip on the needle in position 5? You said you moved it up one slot.
    Yes, they had it at position 5. They told me that if I ever had problems while at the track I could call them. I called them from the track and the person that works on the carburetors told me to change the spark plug, air filter, and move the c-clip up one spot. That changed helped to at least keep the engine from cutting off. They are very helpful.

Are you sure your clutch is disengaging completly, will it sit on the road and not creep away on you.?
    I can start it up, and it won't pull away on its' own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by btjones65 View Post
    Bill, bring it down to vintage/ CIK practice at Kershaw next week, Iíll put it on my Dyno and weíll check it out.

Bruce J
    Thank you for that. Let me see if I can make it down there. That's next Saturday right?

Yup
    1-26-19
    Long range forecast is cold but dry.

Bill, the Vintage kart guys race at CMP 3-19 would be an excellent first race for you. Itís not a terribly difficult layout. Also, most if not all the drivers will be older guys just out having fun. No points, no prizes, just trophies and bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by btjones65 View Post
    Bill, the Vintage kart guys race at CMP 3-19 would be an excellent first race for you. Itís not a terribly difficult layout. Also, most if not all the drivers will be older guys just out having fun. No points, no prizes, just trophies and bragging rights.
    I took my kart down there last year. I like that track. I was the only person running the entire day. It was great.