Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I do not get this one heat then feature race format.

I do not get this one heat then feature race format.

Back in the day we drew for a starting position in our first heat then we ran two heats, second one inverted from the first and then we lined up for the feature according to average finish in both heats. IMO the fairest way to do it. Plenty of track time, plenty of chances to adjust on the kart, good chance to make up for a bad draw, etc.

Now a few of our local tracks have went to this one heat and a feature format which I do not care for. First off if you draw a bad number then your night could be over before it began and second you do not get the track/ seat time that you would with the 2 heat format.

I do not care for qualifying either because it takes a long time to get all that done and would put most of our local tracks past the curfew.

Any thoughts, ideas as to why in the world some tracks would go to a one heat then feature format.
    KR3

I agree ,I don't care for it either our local track baerfield ,has done this a couple of times .I the won heat ,drew for feature started in back ?

qualifying takes longer than running 2 separate heat races???

We used to draw for position in the heat, and where you finished in the heat was your starting spot in the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Evans View Post
    We used to draw for position in the heat, and where you finished in the heat was your starting spot in the feature.
    Yes Bob that is how its being done at our local tracks. Like I said I do not care for it. I would rather do away with an open practice and race an extra heat.

personally hate heats...good place to get stuff tore up IMO
    prefer qualifying....seems to be faster, and should allow for an open practice, and 2 rounds of controlled practice

We call it pea picking here. Random drawing for positions in the first heat, second heat is an inverted grid of the first. Starting position for the main is a calculation of positions gained/lost in the heats.

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer_3 View Post
    Yes Bob that is how its being done at our local tracks. Like I said I do not care for it. I would rather do away with an open practice and race an extra heat.
    Yeah, but they used to be able to get 100 to 120 karts through there in less than 5 hours (11pm curfew).
    Course back then the classes were rookie, jr, light, medium, heavy, cheeseburger, and limited. Every now and then a roving group of 2 strokers would show up and wing-ding-ding around the track.
    Everyone would line the fences for the limiteds and the 2 strokes when they showed up.

In the south Missouri area most of the tracks are run by ex stock car guys and they do the 1 heat thing as a result of their past stock car experience and are convinced that is the only way to do it. Generally the 1st heat sets the inside row and the second heat sets the outside row for the feature, unless there are more than 2 heats in a class then it gets a bit more complicated, but not much. We always liked 2 rounds of heats because you could try something in the second heat to see if it would help in the feature. A lot of places do the 1 round thing to keep from drawing out the show to all hours of the night. And you always have to remember that as long as the promoter has the keys to the front gate in his/her pocket they can run it like they want to.

I always liked the 2 heats and feature at our local track, got my son lots of seat time,and me lots of opportunity to learn how to adjust the karts. But at the big money races the qualifying then feature was good, because like was said earlier, stuff can get tore up in two heats..
    2016 World Formula Modified Tour Champion
    2014,2013 OVS Junior Champ Champ
    2012 OVS Jr Sportsman Champ Champ
    RAGE Karts
    Chavis Motorsports
    JRPW Racing
    Paid Bob's 4cycle Subscriber

Bob, As you remember this is the IKF format. It's up to the track to keep the show moving and it moves well if they don't cater to cry babies.

DK

Again, one benefit of this format is it separates the prepared from the not prpared.

DK

Two heats is the way to go it also gives the people that only run one class more time on track really for what they pay for pit pass and entry fee its worth it dnt need a 3 hr open practice knwing the track is chamging by the min

When you have 17 classes, 70 to 110 karts (or more) and a curfew, 2 heats isn't a great way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Again, one benefit of this format is it separates the prepared from the not prpared.

DK
    Like button

If you race the same track week in and week out to should know the setup

along with a bad draw starting heat,
    the local tracks around here are starting single file,
    bad number for heat and single file features you might as well load up and go home

The problem is 17 different class. 3 sr classes for one motor combo at a local club track is crazy. Put the weight on & use it to your advantage. Iím 150 pounds & run some 206 races on dirt. Thatís normally 375 min. Do the math. Thatís a lot of weight I have to add. We are our own enemy by adding all these class & then complaining about how late the night gets. Simplify the problem & then it wonít be one. Two heats & a main. Less classes.

When you have 17 classes
    That's ridiculous in my opinion. Are these many classes really required or is it just too much accommodation?

DK

Two heats and a feature is the best of all formats for kart racing.
    There is a very great gap between the best, and the newer racers.
    The ONLY way the new racers can get the seat time to quickly improve is by three things:
    1. seat time
    2. seat time
    3. seat time.

This format is for the Sat. pm racers. The big payout races.......$1000.00 or more.........run it anyway
    the promoter wants to.

Don K & PD engines. Both spot on. Imo

My local track did the same thing this year because of a 12:00 midnight curfew. It wouldn't be necessary if they didn't consistently start practice 1-2 hrs. late, throw caution flags for every little spin, and would shorten the ridiculously long intermissions between races. This is with a 50 to 60 kart count.

I prefer the two heat format as its a great way for racers to improve. People who can't race their way to the front in the 2 heat fromat are drivers not racers in my opinion.

If a show requires a one heat format, they should go to a transponder system. I still haven't figured out why dirt racing hasn't adopted the system. Speeds up the show by making line-ups instantaneous, improves accuracy by providing immediately where everyone was on the last completed lap, and the information regarding lap times is available to everyone on Speedhive after the show. Yes a transponder is $250-300 (one time fee). But for those of us who have used it, it is money well spent to get a better show.

A few years back we started racing at a track in Western NY. They ran two 18 lap heats and a 20 lap feature. The heat races were run in 3 increments inverting the field every 6 laps. It only took two laps (small bullring) to line up after the invert. I don't know the exact calculation method to determine the feature line up but the fast guys started in the back. The prize was a feature win sticker. I saw some of the best racing using this format. As Charles53 mentioned, single file starts with 1 heat was a shock when we moved to TN

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    That's ridiculous in my opinion. Are these many classes really required or is it just too much accommodation?

DK
    IMO, too much accommodation but it's what we had to deal with. Get the number of classes within reason and a 2 heat format would be fine.

In my series I run 1 heat , lined up from pill draws , with no more than 8 karts in a group . Top 6 or 8 transfer to a dash , which is re drawn , remaining racers go to consi , which is also re drawn . Finishing order from dash fills the front rows and finishing order from consi fills the rest of the field . Max 16 karts starts the feature .

2 controlled practices.
    Draw for heat, 1 heat.
    Heat finish determines feature, no inversion.
    If you can't figure it out through 2 practices and a heat, you probably aren't going to, so why penalize the guys who do?

We traveled around alot. The two heat and feature was what I liked best.
    The series races were always practice qualify then race . Typically ran two or three classes.
    Seat time / racing experience the heats gets the nod. Qualify and race as stated you better be prepared .
    Saw single file starts in Lucedale MS , didn't Cate for that at all.
    Last edited by flattop1; 11-10-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spell

We run our format with mini sprints,
    Lots of good info here to think about going into next season..
    We have 3 practices, 5-8 laps, we have transponders.. fastest lap of all three sessions is you Qualification time... fast guy gets one point, next is two and and so on....
    we line up ODDS and EVENS for heat,.. fast guy in the back. Lowest points of combine finish and qualifying starts toward the front.
    We are not a single file track.. 3 good lanes to run in.. pick your groove and Go.

as for seat time,.. we have endurance races for that.. 250 laps at a time

Quote Originally Posted by XXX#40 View Post
    2 controlled practices.
    Draw for heat, 1 heat.
    Heat finish determines feature, no inversion.
    If you can't figure it out through 2 practices and a heat, you probably aren't going to, so why penalize the guys who do?
    That's similar to what we had to run, and it worked fine for us - two practices let us know what the track was doing, and helped a bit time wise since we had all those classes to deal with. With the two practice sessions (ours were one "open" practice for adult classes, one for kid classes, then the controlled practices, by class). The open practice actually was sort of interesting and useful, especially if you were acclimating a new driver, as there were high speed karts out there and careful passing. The slow drivers learned how to stay out of the way while minimizing momentum loss, and what it felt like to be passed by a KT100.....