Thread: Columbus speedway tire rule debate

Columbus speedway tire rule debate

Please post your preference below. This past year we used open tire rule with pretty good success. Next year is up for debate. The current options are as follows...
    Option 1: keep open tire rule with slick tires only
    Option 2: Burris 33 tire rule with no sidewall stiffening(subject to post race tech) with only one set per class used for heat and feature. These tires will be marked at the scales after heat race and will have to be used for feature as well.

This is also up for debate on Columbus Speedway Go Kart Racing Facebook page

I dont race there. But I'll say this. I didnt have the resources to try out the place this yr. But next yr it's own my list to try atleast one race, if you switch to Burris tho....well I'll have to find me some Burris
    I do believe in limiting the right sides only is better so ppl can use the left sides for stagger purposes

Limiting to one set hurts racing. Columbus changes drastically from practice to features. One set doesn't allow for that changing track. Burris only would cut cost some but it is racing and people will always spend money. Now on a money race, the one set rule for that class and the rookie class ( along with a set gearing) is something to think about.

Burris 33 rule but do not limit to one set

If it does go Burris 33 need more than one set. Iíd prefer to keep it open tire just because maybe not everyone runs Burris 33.

Burris should work well for you Kyle. We haven't made it there yet, but the kart count was tremendous at Clark county last night and they are Burris in all stock classes, I believe.

Brent McCloskey

I have been racing non stop for several years now, raced open tire rule for years and raced burris rule for years, at multiple tracks,whatever the track decides to do i will support that, because i am glad to see columbus racing again.but here is what i have learned with the maxxis tire , it does not matter how much rubber is left on the tire, once they have went through a couple of heat cycles they lose speed,they can have rubber left, but the speed starts to go away. So someone who can buy new tires every couple of weeks will be faster,i have seen it, the stopwatch does not lie. Now with burris you have to have a few sets,that is true,but i have burris tires that are two years old and are just as fast as they were when they were three months old, the rubber bounces back, ultimately in the long run, in my opinion, burris is cheaper for the racer. Thanks to all the racers out there. TONY SMITH

Burris tire rule would work because if you come to Columbus for the first time you'll know before you ever get there what tires you need to get ready and most tracks with in a 150 mile radius run Burris that will make people more willing to come here more people come and the track will prosper.....Burris tire all the way....2 sets of Burris all year versus a brand new set of maxxis every 2 weeks...Do the math..

I would vote Burris, 1 set per night.

I vote for burris not everyone can biy maxxis and prep them every weekalso not to jump on the fourm like everyone else has said this is burris country everyone used to run burris there all the time i ran burris 33 on right and 11s on left side also i think the weight classes should be adujusted to like ben hurr us 41 little e for the clone not everyone is a big guy i would make a like class at 325 and ur med 350 heavy 375 that is the weight all around indiana and ohio ky ill i dnt wanna have to throw 80 lbs on a kart were i can run two classes i think cloumbus should go back to 2 heats for the people that run one class u cant just ur kart from heat to feature do away with th 2 hr open practice just have open practice one hour class practice i knw that track ran quick between classes on and off track so i think alot of people would like the 2 heats learn track more just my opinion not to stomp on the tire fourm but u never knw going burris tire rule may bring big money races to columbus from burris

Burris for sure... Maxxis is big money racing. Watched a couple thousand dollars in tires be worth nothing in a matter of 2 weeks there.... literally. At least if they were burris, You could let them sit out, and cycle them through again later.

Open tire racing would be ok, If it wasnt absolutely DOMINATED by maxxis here. Other tires were tried, and failed.
    There is absolutely nothing to be scared about in burris racing. Its a way more durable tire. And the racing is better. Plus we are surrounded by burris country. The open tire was fine to start with. But for the good of everyone in the end. Burris is the better option. This is my honest opinion. In open tire, You will eventually run off the lesser people, bc they will soon find that guys who buy new tires constantly, will be stomping them week in, and week out.

You can argue that in Burris, but its simply not true. You just need a "fresh tire" not new. Thats why we rotate stock and cycle sets. And if you are at a place where you dont really need to prep. Then they can be run more.

Now if you limit right sides to 1 set a class per night. I can handle that. But we need to be able to change our left sides. Mainly left rears.

In closing, I have talked to a few people who just started again. And they are going to go race elsewhere if its open tire. And show up with new maxxis just for a money race. Which is cherry picking. They are going to build their burris arsenal over the winter, bc everywhere else they can race, is burris. Im glad they started again around here, I dont want to knock you guys, but I think for the greater good, the tire rule will be your best option. Bc not everybody can afford new tires all the time...

Considering the TWO options I would vote to keep it an OPEN tire track for at least the 2019 season and then go from there. Because I like having the option of changing my LR for stagger and I like to have a clean set or two ready to bolt on instead of taking them off, washing them and putting them back on.
    Plus from the tracks stand point I think it would be one major pain in the rear to enforce the one set a night rule since Burris tires do not have a true serial number, paint markers are sold in almost every hobby store and if one wanted to they could make their own tire stamp.
    With that being said I think its strange that nobody has brought up the fact that Columbus will have a new small track with a completely new racing surface. Who knows what tire will work best for the small track. Will a Maxxis tire wear a little better if folks don't kill them with the prep ? Will a Burris tire actually work a little better and not get too hot and glaze over since the racing surface will not be as abrasive as the big track ? Will someone show up with a Yellow Vega or a Hoosier or some other brand of tire and show everyone that Maxxis and Burris tires are not the only ones made that will work ?
    If I was running the track I would be more worried about track sponsors, making out a full race schedule for 2019, getting more tech tools, a new or refurbished platform scale with ramps, a two heat and a feature race format, finding more volunteers,classes and class structure,etc, etc.
    60- 100 karts showed up each night for the handful of races this year and almost everyone had fun. If it ain't broke don't fix it, not yet anyway, give it a whole season and see what happens. The last thing I would worry about is some folks not showing up because of it being an open tire track, they will be back because Columbus is on its way to becoming the best track in Indiana.
    KR3

Burris 33 rule would be a good thing I just don't see how you are going to police the 1 set rule it would take a couple people just to keep track of that great to see karts back at columbus have been out of karting last 5-6 years since north vernon closed but coming back racing next year can't wait for small track to get done

The one set of right side tires rule can work efficiently if the scale guy is able to do more than check weights. It's really pretty simple and it can work to help with the cost to racers. Of course with most rules, there are loop holes and advantages to be had if you are simply marking the tires and not taking down car #, tire serial #, etc. This is why bar code racing has gotten more popular. I don't think you want to go that route for a local track.

Personally, as a racer, it doesn't matter to me if it's open tire rule or Burris 33 rule -- you will need as many tires as you can bring/afford if you want an advantage with tires. Some will bring trailers full of 33s just like they bring trailers full of multiple brands. In reality, you end up bringing more Burris, all cut, worked, seasoned, etc differently. If it's open, you simply jump to the tire brand that's faster as the track bites up. It's no harder, or more expensive, to race open tire - just different.

If you're going to go with a specific brand/compound rule, then be sure to announce it early enough so that guys can start preparing (and budgeting) over the winter - ie before the swap meets. Also be sure to let the racers that support your track regularly, know exactly what the tire company is offering you and what the racers can expect in return for running their brand.

From a shop's perspective, it really doesn't matter to us what you decide as we work on all brands of tires and no doubt cut and prep more Burris than all other brands combined.

I also agree with the statement: "If it's not broke, don't try to fix it."
    Decent car counts for just holding a few races this year.
    Whatever you decide,
    we're just glad to see the track back up in operation again!

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Burris and as long as u had a legitimate way to mark right side tires not a bad idea to limit sets

Is there any time frame on when the decision will be made?

Just make it a burris tire only make it were u can run 11s 22s 33s

Last I heard there is no time frame as of right now on when the decision will be made.
    Second, there is only two options , leave it an open tire rule OR run the same four Burris 33's all night.
    If and when I hear something I will post it here.
    KR3

Run the same burris all night i bet the racing gets alot tighter

I personally think this is a slap in the face to the racers that want a Burris rule to say if we want Burris we get one set of tires but if itís open tire we can run as many sets as wanted. I would say it would be a easy to see the majority in both post made wants Burris and by going to a Burris rule you will be in line with almost every track within 3 hours of Columbus so that letís a lot of other racers come to race here this is my opinion Greg Jones

I agree porkchop bit i think as long as its a burris u can run it hell people that run maxxis r xhanging every race i agree not fair to burris guy and at the same time people thats runs burris that is 3 hrs plus away can come run as well

Open tire rule.LETS GO RACE.its very simple

You guys need to have a swap meet ,I have a lot of flathead motors/parts to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by joemacracing View Post
    You guys need to have a swap meet ,I have a lot of flathead motors/parts to get rid of.
    What kind of flatheads and what kid of parts ?

Clutches,headers,complete motors,gold plate and unrestricted.blueprinted engines.call if questions.billy 502-428-7482

Its official the tire rule will remain open for the 2019 season.

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer_3 View Post
    Its official the tire rule will remain open for the 2019 season.
    T
    There is also 2 burris only classes offered, 375 clone and 375 flathead.

Quote Originally Posted by smithts14 View Post
    T
    There is also 2 burris only classes offered, 375 clone and 375 flathead.
    Right, that was updated after I saw the official post so anyone wanting to run Burris only can do so in those classes.