Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Columbus speedway tire rule debate

[QUOTE=smithts14;742019]I was asked to post this by columbus speedway promoters, columbus tire rule , Burris ss33a only, also no additional material added to inside of tire, only thing allowed inside of tire is, air and prep. subject to tech each night.

as it should be, NO SIDEWALL STIFFENERS ALLOWED.

John , i am no expert , but this what i know from personal experiance the last few years , the fastest tires that i own are 2 year old burris tires that have 10-12 nites on them , i have 4-5 nite old newer tires that are just now getting good , you can look at my older posts , i have stated that you do have to have a few sets , but once you have them they are good for many races , so i geuss it is how you want to look at it , but for me i have been racing for several years now , years on open tire rule , years on the burris , my billfold knows the differance , burris has been much cheaper for me , i am not going to support something that costs me more money , racing is not cheap any way you go , all i can do is share my experiance with this , i hope it helps , thanks to all the racers.

I think the question still remains of what the manufacturers (Burris in this case) will be offering the local racers for running only their brand of tire.
    Lawrenceburg recently held their banquet and racers saw first hand what Hoosier offers.
    Just curious as to what was negotiated.

As far as using older date code tires -- on the big track, I'd be on some nicely cured out '15 or '16 date codes over the newer tires. On the small track I suspect newer date codes will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by smithts14 View Post
    John , i am no expert , but this what i know from personal experiance the last few years , the fastest tires that i own are 2 year old burris tires that have 10-12 nites on them , i have 4-5 nite old newer tires that are just now getting good , you can look at my older posts , i have stated that you do have to have a few sets , but once you have them they are good for many races , so i geuss it is how you want to look at it , but for me i have been racing for several years now , years on open tire rule , years on the burris , my billfold knows the differance , burris has been much cheaper for me , i am not going to support something that costs me more money , racing is not cheap any way you go , all i can do is share my experiance with this , i hope it helps , thanks to all the racers.
    Tony, thanks , yes that does help. That's a much better statement than " this is Burris country " If I hear that phrase one more time I think I will puke. Nothing against Burris I respect what they have done for the karting industry/ community over the years and they are great people, I know that from first hand experience in dealing with them in the past however " this is Burris country " is not the answer I am looking for.
    So what these folks should have said is, its cheaper in the LONG RUN to run Burris tires vs Maxxis. The long run being 2-3 years down the road after one has a chance to build up their Burris inventory. I say 2-3 years because now I am hearing to do it right requires 6 sets of Burris tires in rotation not 3.
    Just for the record I am not 100% against this Burris deal. I was at first but after listening to all sides it got me up on the fence and on the fence I will stay until someone shows me other wise. Until then and from the lack of response I am getting to discuss the numbers I can only assume that
    #1 its no cheaper to run Burris tires vs Maxxis, especially the up front cost......... If you want to talk more affordable then I will run some numbers on Vegas, Hoosiers and others.
    #2 its not going to level the playing field by any stretch of the imagination because the folks that can afford a whole trailer full of cut prepped Burris will still have the advantage
    #3 Its really not going to benefit the track much from the numbers I heard thrown around IMO it would not even be worth considering , especially after another tire manufacturer offered four times the amount than Burris did.

In closing I will leave you all with this idea. Say all you in the Burris camp are right about the Maxxis being a one and done tire. Say its the money pit you say it is. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just outlaw the Maxxis instead of making it a Burris track ?
    I think its a damn shame that all the other tire manufacturers get thrown in the same can not use box because of a fast one and done tire. Whats going to happen when someone shows up with a really fast one and done chassis ? We going to go to a spec chassis ? Spec engines from one builder ? Where does it stop ?
    KR3

Quote Originally Posted by CarlsonMotorsports View Post
    I think the question still remains of what the manufacturers (Burris in this case) will be offering the local racers for running only their brand of tire.
    Lawrenceburg recently held their banquet and racers saw first hand what Hoosier offers.
    Just curious as to what was negotiated.

As far as using older date code tires -- on the big track, I'd be on some nicely cured out '15 or '16 date codes over the newer tires. On the small track I suspect newer date codes will be better.
    Brian,
    I am not at liberty to discuss specifics but I think I am safe in sharing this info. The promoters at Columbus Speedway Go Kart Racing were offered 4 times the amount from another tire manufacturer.
    This tells me one thing . They are not in it for the money. They are in it to provide a fun , fair and safe place to race.
    For that reason alone I will choose to support the Columbus, Indiana track no matter what.
    KR3

Kr3 is right. It doesnt matter which way one goes on this matter. I can remember running he box stock class 15 years or more ago, and having so much fun. What has this even become? Everyone is acting like every race weekend is the kings royal, or the world 100. Whatever happened to some old fashioned fun, where racer A out drivers Racer B? It seems like everything has progressed money wise, but the overall reward has stayed the same. If you think about it, we dont really race for money here. Not enough to pay for whatever everyone else says it costs to win. I get that racing isnt cheap, but why keep adding unnecessary costs to it like gallons of preps, armor wall, cutting, etc. Its just dumb. Race what ya got and adjust on it what you can, and DRIVE. Seeing all this really is making me have 2nd thoughts about even buying anything else, and selling what I've got. It's been nothing but a stupid ****ing match for me to be honest, and not to mention I see so many people whining and *****ing that dont even drive. Too funny.