Thread: Opinions on gear / driver selection on dry slick

Opinions on gear / driver selection on dry slick

Experienced opinions please on driver gear selections on very dry slick trick. 13/65 vs 14/70. This ratio giving me right rpm range.

What Motor and class ?

Medium/ clone

Quote Originally Posted by H1Motorsport View Post
    Experienced opinions please on driver gear selections on very dry slick trick. 13/65 vs 14/70. This ratio giving me right rpm range.
    You may get a lot of experienced opinions .
    RP - will get you a straight answer .
    Airtight Garage Est 1982
    Waller Racing
    Phantom Chassis
    Dover Power
    Paid 4 cycle subscriber

Medium/ clone
    Well for sure not a 14/70 don't even bother taking anything bigger than a 68 along, In general Track size and amount of momentum it creates dictates front driver size, the bigger the track the better it grips up ( creates momentum ) the bigger the front driver all while keeping the rear around a 66 to hit your target RPM, a 13/65 would fit about an 1/8th Mile track that is NOT flatfoot with drops around 1000 to 1200, or a little bigger track with tight turns, with NO grip and loosing more momentum a 12/62 might be a consideration, Try the 13/65 if you feel your lacking off the turns only then try the 12 front driver.
    Do you know the track size ? and is it tight turn out of the throttle ? or just the NO grip has you out of the throttle ? Do you know your lap times ?

Dont go larger than a 64 with a clone, lots of the Pros wont even go above a 62-63. These motors dont like a big rear gear.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo Tire Treatments View Post
    Dont go larger than a 64 with a clone, lots of the Pros wont even go above a 62-63. These motors dont like a big rear gear.
    I'm surprised to see that as ALWAYS, here that holds true to smaller than a 1/5th mile less momentum, tighter turns lower grip, but the 1/5 th miles better grip and faster like Selinsgrove not so much the Pros are 66 ish , especially since we started cranking them 7000 RPM plus.

Another question I would have is how did you come up with the 13/65 to compare ? Is that on track tested ?

Yes RP, that 13/65 ratio is track tested. Our racing buddy runs 14/70 and believes its a better combo, tho the race results are very close between he and us. But this is a dry slick track private club track, where momentum is a challenge. You experienced veterans have shared and explained what I have thought, but much more in detail. I appreciate all the imput. While track size is the major factor, momentum vs throttle dancing comes into play on clutch driver choice also.

Yes RP, that 13/65 ratio is track tested. Our racing buddy runs 14/70 and believes its a better combo, tho the race results are very close between he and us. But this is a dry slick track private club track, where momentum is a challenge. You experienced veterans have shared and explained what I have thought, but much more in detail. I appreciate all the imput. While track size is the major factor, momentum vs throttle dancing comes into play on clutch driver choice also.
    Try a 12/61 ,62 sometime, you might get surprised !!

Good Luck !!

Already was thinking on that,,, probably will try that. My son( 27 years old) is an awesome driver, hustles the kart. But if theres an area to work on , it's the starts and restarts. That 12 driver may be an idea.

If he's keeping close pace with 14/70 provided his motor is legal, you are letting speed on the table with tires and prep.

Just go by your stop watch.
    A stop watch never lies.

If it's faster on the clock, it's faster on the track.
    * At least for qualifying.
    Now, being able to pull out and pass traffic during a race might be a different reason to add a tooth or two on a small track.

Also monitor corner exit rpm - that's an indicator to me on scrub, gearing, set-up, tires, etc if the kart is indeed fast or not.
    No two motors (karts & drivers as well) are alike...some like to turn a couple hundred rpm more than others, so comparing peak numbers is a shot in the dark at best.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com