Thread: good deal or not

good deal or not

today i picked up a stock appearing motor for $200.00, the gentleman i bought it from told me that it is a predator Hemi block, Ambush racing 34 degree flywheel, clone crank and arc billet rod. He said with that combination of crank and rod it was a stroker. he also said that it has a 4hp head that is ported and polished. ( which after running the numbers on the head, i believe what he meant was it is a 14cc clone high compression head) it does have a flat top piston with 32lb valve springs and a holy mosses carb running on gas. could anyone help enlighten me on this set up? also he said the motor was showing 19hp on the dyne. is that a realistic number? Also i am planning to build this into a open class motor, would i be competitive if i just swap out the carb for a Mikuni on Alky. Thanks in advance for you help.

If it's a clone crank they Dstroked it by .040 what cam push rods and valves I'm it ?

He said it has a 308 cam, I am assuming the valve train is stock.

Sounds like a pretty good price.
    A good open has a definition that's OPEN also.
    A mikumi or tilly would help a bunch of course on methanol .
    19 is feasible.

Thank you, I had planned to put a tilly on it running methanol, the guy included the manifold to adapt to a tilly carb. I am just wondering if the stock pushrods can handle the 32lb springs?

I'd say that's asking a lot out of them pushrods.
    Definitely want to have new spares handy, till you upgrade.

I think the 19 horse was a sales pitch.
    AKRA Northeast National Tech Instructor
    AKRA Northeast Representative
    No one ever gave a critic an award.

Don Gordner
    570-515-0379

I was a little skeptical of the 19hp claim. But I think itís a decent start to a open motor for $200. What upgrades would you guys recommend to get some more hp out of it? I am definitely putting a tilotson or mikuni carb on it. I would eventually like to get chromoly pushrods and roller rockers.