Thread: What do you do when you have an oily disc clutch?

What do you do when you have an oily disc clutch?

Ive got a noram chetah 2 disc clutch, and drove it around on a mini bike with a briggs flatty. Flatty blew oil out of the breather sides and low oil sensor cover, and contaminated the discs. I disassembled the discs and steel plates, and cleaned off with mineral spirits. Feels very dry to the touch/grippy. So here are my questions:

1) if oil gets on discs, is mineral spirits enough to clean? What do you all clean yours with?
    2) the 13 t sprocket that comes on this one, doesnt have needle bearings, just a bushing. When installing that , it looks like the outer trust washer will not fit because the bushing is a tad bit wider than the needle bearings. It will fit just right with the snap ring, but no thrust washer. Is it supposed to do this? I went back to the 14t drive sprocket to avoid this issue, but was a little put off by the fact that it didnt line up.

I use acetone or lacquer thinner, mineral spirits tend to be oily. use a copper bristle brush and give em a bit of a scrub to.

i like brake parts cleaner as a last spray just before i dust them a copper wire wheel. you should be able to get some shims to make everything fit right. depending on what your talking about you could us a file and shorten it up a bit to get a thrush washer and snap ring on.

Regarding the DU bushing that comes in a stock Cheetah clutch sprocket. You can flat sand the width down on a flat surface with some sand paper. It probably will push out of the sprocket with very little force, allowing you to get it sanded flush, then push back in. You can even flat sand the outer steel snout of the sprocket if needed.

When it wears out, replace it with a Bully brand sprocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Curry View Post
    Regarding the DU bushing that comes in a stock Cheetah clutch sprocket. You can flat sand the width down on a flat surface with some sand paper. It probably will push out of the sprocket with very little force, allowing you to get it sanded flush, then push back in. You can even flat sand the outer steel snout of the sprocket if needed.

When it wears out, replace it with a Bully brand sprocket.
    Good advice for "home machining"; any sheet of glass is a good start for a flat surface, and 3/8" or thicker ate glass is great if you can get a scrap cheap. Additional trick that helps improve precision while flat sanding - sand using a figure 8 motion on the abrasive sheet, not a circular or oval pattern.

Brake cleaner is all you should be using on any disc clutch. Its actually meant for this type of thing. It evaporates fast, cleans all grease and oil and doesn't damage the fibers. It also leave NO residue.

Spray them wd/40. Run the kart, accelerate at a fairly fast rate, and oil will be gone.
    Pretty easy, really.

Wd40 on the clutch discs? Doesn't that just saturate the friction material?

Makes the disks into glazed donuts