Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noram clutch

We sprint race too. I picked put the tuning kit as well, going to set it up to come in around 3200 RPM with 1 weight to start. I have been running the Normam GE with Red or White springs and heavy shoes.

I don't recommend a Fire clutch for the heavy class or for beginners.
    In either case i'd recommend you have a spare set of shoes handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I don't recommend a Fire clutch for the heavy class or for beginners.
    In either case i'd recommend you have a spare set of shoes handy.
    Just curious, why don't you recommend the Fire? My class weighs in at 375. After running the Fire for roughly 2/3 of the season I see very little wear. I'm not trying to second guess your opinion, I want to learn. Thanks!

It's just my opinion.
    You are at the limit for the weight that i would recommend. Over 375 i would use the flame clutch.
    If you are in a heavy class and if you have to use a big driver and a smallish driven sprocket it takes a lot of slippage to get off the line. If it works for you, that's great.
    You must be doing things right.
    If your kid is a beginner they tend to slip the clutch a lot until they get experience. That takes a heavy toll on the friction material on the shoes.
    One trick i have learned is to put worn fire shoes in the smaller diameter flame drum.

^ Would that be legal, since the shoes have technically been machined / worn/lapped in with another drum, and do not come standard in the Flame clutch?

Just sayin.'

There isn't an engagement chart for the Fire on hillards site. Is it the same as the Flame?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlsonMotorsports View Post
    ^ Would that be legal, since the shoes have technically been machined / worn/lapped in with another drum, and do not come standard in the Flame clutch?

Just sayin.'
    Just as legal as these guys "blueprinting" clutches and adding their own conversion kits

Just sayin.'
    I think the grey area would be that the shoes arent standard in the Flame, otherwise what would be the difference in swapping Noram GE Drums?

As listed in the Hilliard website link below, refer to the last sentence of description for the Fire clutch, it states that "It is recommended to add the optional weights in classes weighing 400# or over for additional torque capacity". So with that said, if the company that develops and builds these products makes such a statement, I would tend to go with their recommendations and this clutch should work just fine in a 375# class.

http://www.hilliardextremeduty.com/infernokart/

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1dh View Post
    Just as legal as these guys "blueprinting" clutches and adding their own conversion kits
    Exactly my point.

Thanks!

I'm convinced that if someone were to offer a Hilliard/Bully conversion clutch that were "blueprinted and converted" to use Hilliard Fury/Flame drivers, there would be some poor fool who would buy it.
    Shoot, just powder coat or anodize it a different color and people would buy it!

Little side note, but has anyone seen a clutch tech'd or claimed yet?
    I'm thinking the Bully copy clutches are just about as cheap (or cheaper) than some guys are giving for their hopped up drum clutches now.

32 b.

Junior 1, Junior 2, Senior, and Masters Classes can run any rim centrifugal
    clutch with a maximum of 9 springs and 6 shoes. Clutch must be used as
    shipped from the ORIGINAL manufacturer. Mixing of parts between clutch
    lines or manufactures or removing parts (ie. Grease guard, etc.) is
    ILLEGAL.
    No alteration to clutch allowed except springs, driver, driver
    conversion, clutch key, and crankshaft fastener kit, which are non-tech.
    Clutch coolers are not allowed.

Exactly my point.

Thanks!

I'm convinced that if someone were to offer a Hilliard/Bully conversion clutch that were "blueprinted and converted" to use Hilliard Fury/Flame drivers, there would be some poor fool who would buy it.
    Shoot, just powder coat or anodize it a different color and people would buy it!

I'm thinking the Bully copy clutches are just about as cheap (or cheaper) than some guys are giving for their hopped up drum clutches now.
    We are on the same page. Lots of good ice cube salesmen out there this winter...

FX Squad,

I am well aware of how the rules read, but am not very impressed with how they are interpreted.

Brian Carlson wrote:

Sadly, there is a growing vocal majority in the Sprint Kart genre that want to go to disk clutches because they are paying close to $200 for those hopped up drum clutches.

Sadly, they don't comprehend how expensive maintaining a disk clutch will get even if the initial price point is $160.00

I can build a disk clutch and sell all day long for $160.00 that will last me 24 events and slip at 3,400 RPM for those 24 races with $0 spent on maintenance. But the average guy without 30 plus years of experience will have issues after probably three races, and then spend two to three times the initial cost of the clutch in repairs and maintenance to remain competitive.

And what would stop someone like me from building clutches worth $300 to $400 and "selling" them to my team mates for $160.00 ??

We should be happy with the rules we have and thank goodness that the clone and the drum clutch rule laid a good foundation for the LO-206 program to be where it is right now.

Mike Curry wrote:

And what would stop someone like me from building clutches worth $300 to $400 and "selling" them to my team mates for $160.00 ??
    The same claim rule that we have currently, perhaps?
    Just sayin.'

By the way, folks...What Mike is suggesting is very admirable considering what he has to gain if the rules were to be changed. This guy really cares about the future of the L206 program and sprint/kart racing in general.

I'd like to see the difference in lap times between the 2 clutches.
    One set up by a knowledgeable racer and one set up "blueprinted" by a "professional"
    Or a disc clutch for that matter.

I will be doing a comparison between the Noram GE and the Hillard Inferno Fire I just picked up this Friday. If anyone is interested in the results I'll be happy to share.