Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noram clutch

Noram clutch

What are your opinions on a Noram clutch for a 206 engine. A well known engine builder told me that most people running 206 karts have switched from Hilliard clutches to Noram. I looked at their site and was wondering which Noram clutch. What are you using?

Can you ask the builder and post it here for others to know.

I hear people saying stinger premier... but itís not the clutch cause we are still beating them with our Hilliard flame clutches. Yes the stinger is a good clutch but so is the hillard itís not gonna win or lose you races imho. Itís the setup, tires, and driver. I hear the stinger premier will last longer with less maintenance but the hillard is cheaper. So spend more now or take care of your equipment and put that money somewhere else. Again just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLurker! View Post
    I hear people saying stinger premier... but itís not the clutch cause we are still beating them with our Hilliard flame clutches. Yes the stinger is a good clutch but so is the hillard itís not gonna win or lose you races imho. Itís the setup, tires, and driver. I hear the stinger premier will last longer with less maintenance but the hillard is cheaper. So spend more now or take care of your equipment and put that money somewhere else. Again just my opinion.
    I have a Hilliard flame clutch on mine. I'm not switching, I was just curious what other racers opinions were. The builder did mention that it was less maintenance. Just curiosity.

That would be the Noram GE Ultimate with purple springs, heavy shoes and #4 setting.

http://www.noramclutch.com/go-kart-c...-ultimate.html

sundog....unless you made them..where did you get heavy shoes for the ultimate?...

A well known engine builder told me that most people running 206 karts have switched from Hilliard clutches to Noram.
    Who is this builder and where does he (or his customers) race?

I have seen very few Noram (any model) clutches at actual race tracks.
    I've honestly recommended the Noram GE series clutch for backyard guys because it is very durable and requires little maintenance. It does a great job at that application.
    But for performance on the track, we sell 50X as many Hilliard clutches as we do Norams or Premiers. I don't think that's an anomaly.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
    29 years of service to the karting industry
    Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Everyone has their favorite.
    Mine is the Hilliard Flame clutch.
    It works great, requires little maintenance and is very reasonably priced.
    If you want or need to change engagement RPMs it's far easier to do than any of the clutches with Noram or Stinger type springs.
    I don't foresee switching to a different brand anytime soon.

I have seen many people using the Noram clutch. They seem to work fine, until the shoes begin to burn off. I suspect this is why the need for the heavy shoes. I have worked with several racers who thought they were having engine problems. After Dyno testing engines and finding they were making power within an acceptable range, I have found that they were having clutch slippage issues because the stock shoes were slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlsonMotorsports View Post

I've honestly recommended the Noram GE series clutch for backyard guys because it is very durable and requires little maintenance. It does a great job at that application.
    But for performance on the track, we sell 50X as many Hilliard clutches as we do Norams or Premiers. I don't think that's an anomaly.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    Brian,
    I would rather not mention who told me this. They were just saying that this was what they were seeing with engines they were dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Everyone has their favorite.
    Mine is the Hilliard Flame clutch.
    It works great, requires little maintenance and is very reasonably priced.
    If you want or need to change engagement RPMs it's far easier to do than any of the clutches with Noram or Stinger type springs.
    I don't foresee switching to a different brand anytime soon.
    I have a hilliard flame as well, and I am not looking to change anytime soon. When I get to a point where I do need to change, I will take a closer look at other options to see what works out best. I was just curious what other more experienced racers thought.

-----
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cutz

Linden, IN
    765-339-4407
    Ran the Noram GE for the last 4 yrs on our 206

If you are running the GE series or GE Ultimate series Noram, then you are definitely in the minority, but then living in Utah, you already are aware of that.

Premier Stingers and Hilliard Fury/Flames are what the majority use across the country.
    Like I said, the Noram GE clutch is virtually indestructible (unless you drop it and dent the drum) which makes it perfect for backyard abuse and an economical choice for budget racers.

No offense meant or taken. If you are happy with your clutch of choice, then by all means continue to run it.

Noram ultimate ge here. Purple plate clone for our junior driver. Worked perfect all season. Brake clean after each race and re use. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It will be back on there next year.

I
    Like I said, the Noram GE clutch is virtually indestructible (unless you drop it and dent the drum) which makes it perfect for backyard abuse and an economical choice for budget racers.
    You can destroy the HUB in no time if you run them inboard w/o a washer on the 206.

That's for sure. I take it you figured that out from experience.

You should always run a radius washer on the crank before the clutch (especially on the L206) no matter what clutch you are running.

I only have experience running a single clutch and that lack of experience has got to be hurting my ability to effectively tune. That said I am purchasing another clutch and I'm leaning towards the Hillard Inferno Fire w/tuning kit but I'm open to suggestions. Also was throwing around the idea of going with a #219 as there are only 3 of us left running the #35 in Senior this year.

We generally run , 219 chain. It seems to roll better. Still have the 35 stuff for the kt and modified engines.
    The hillard clutchs are pretty good .
    You will want the bully conversion for sure.
    We've been beat by a noram while running mdc clutch , still think the hillard is an improvement over the noram.
    Last edited by flattop1; 10-11-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spell

Quote Originally Posted by flattop1 View Post
    We generally run , 219 chain. It seems to roll better. Still have the 35 stuff for the kt and modified engines.
    The hillard clutchs are pretty good .
    You will want the bully conversion for sure.
    We've been beat by a noram while running mdc clutch , still think the hillard is an improvement over the noram.
    Needless to say I am not familiar with the bully conversion. What all does that entail? Drum, sprocket?

What is the advantage, or improvement, with the Bully Conversion? I'm not familiar with this, so please educate me!

Here is a picture of the bully style drum (top) and the Hilliard style drum (bottom)
    You can decide which one you like better.
    Hillard_Bully_comparison-277x375.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brettm57 View Post
    What is the advantage, or improvement, with the Bully Conversion? I'm not familiar with this, so please educate me!
    It's no so much an improvement. The bully drivers are available everywhere, from the person pitted beside you to the track vendor.
    Airtight Garage Est 1982
    Waller Racing
    Phantom Chassis
    Dover Power
    Paid 4 cycle subscriber

Everything Im reading says it works with the FURY or BLAZE. Anyone used the conversion on a FIRE?

The conversion drum will not work with the Fire.

The Fire drum has a larger ID.

It does not work with the Fire clutch.
    The Fire clutch is made by putting the friction material on the Flame shoes.
    That adds about 1/8" to the OD of the shoes when they are assembled on the hub.
    The ID of the Flame drum and the Bully drum is 4" and the ID of the Fire drum is 4 1/8"
    The Bully drum doesn't have a large enough ID to fit over the Fire shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It does not work with the Fire clutch.
    The Fire clutch is made by putting the friction material on the Flame shoes.
    That adds about 1/8" to the OD of the shoes when they are assembled on the hub.
    The ID of the Flame drum and the Bully drum is 4" and the ID of the Fire drum is 4 1/8"
    The Bully drum doesn't have a large enough ID to fit over the Fire shoes.
    Thanks Jimbo!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Curry View Post
    The conversion drum will not work with the Fire.

The Fire drum has a larger ID.
    Thanks Michael!

That settles that then, I have a Fire. Thanks all the same for the education though!

Quote Originally Posted by Brettm57 View Post
    That settles that then, I have a Fire. Thanks all the same for the education though!
    What's your opinion on the FIRE? Just ordered one today.

Just so we're on the same page, I'm sprint racing with mine. That being said, my only other reference is a Noram, and I like the Fire better. The track I'm racing at has a real tight 180 degree hairpin turn and I could never get the Noram to hold a constant RPM as I exited the turn. The Fire isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement, and seems to stay more consistent during a race. I'm still experimenting, but I like the idea that between springs and weights I can really fine tune what RPM it slips at.