Thread: Starting out new and very fast?

Starting out new and very fast?

Hi gents, I'm looking for some input and advice as I think we (my son and I) are going to run into some "conflict" at our local track going forward...

We attended the open practice day last week, we're running Purple Plate clone in Jr2 and there are approx 4-5 other kids in the class. We start out very slow, my driver is 10 and a former Motocross rider with excellent patience and control for a kid. Dad used to race karts for 15+ years and build engines. I loved the sport and still do so I couldn't wait to get my little guy in a kart!

Long story short, by the 3rd round of practice and some heavy tuning on the kart we were hooked up and flying. My son passes all 3 top kids within 2 laps before being tagged hard in the RR and bending the axle. We immediately attract several dads including the track promoter who had a kid in the class... he very quickly asks me who built the motor and was it legal. Then our kart is stared at from every angle by the others and I'm told how "strict" tech is and that we will be checked.

Most of these kids are on very old chassis, not so new tires and just older equipment. We're on a fairly new Prowler with an older Watts Clone refreshed with all of jerry Dover's good parts including his holy moses restrictor carb. I also love working tires and setup and consider myself half decent at it.

Anyway, I'm certain come the first race, IF we happen to win, we are going to get picked apart by the promoter and his tech man "buddy" I have no reservations that our engine is legal but I've been through this before and when its a close friend of a friend doing tech and the promoter or track owner has karts in a class it usually ends up bad. Have any of you guys ever been in a similar situation? How do I explain to my son he is going to get torn down and they will likely "Find" something wrong?

I know I can go to another track, sure there are plenty but this one is very close to home and the competition is not very high making it a great track for learning and seat time before moving up.

Be ready for them have a Qualified tech man with you to point out there blowing smoke if they try, IF that's the way they operate you don't want to race there anyway.

I have been threw the same thing at a local track i ran a different kart than everyone else ran different motor builder than everyone else and i got torn dwn one night cause the guy i passed and i passed him on the out side comming off the corner was best friends with the track prez and tech man and it was for point as well we came off track got to scales took off helment and as me and my dad putting kart on the scale he came up and said ur getting tore dwn knw one can pass on the outside i told him well i did and i said thats fine i put money up i just tear u dwn so i did they bare blocked my engine all legal the took the shroud off his and wouldnt u knw it 3hp flywheel they was going to quit i said nope bare block only fair and lets see what else is bad wouldnt u knw it wrong cam carb was to big the guy i beat said well my dad builds mine i said well not good enough i had that same engine put back together and wouldnt u knw it they did it again 3 weeks in a row i went home in a box and 3 weeks in a row i came back with the same engine so tell ur son if he goes out there and he beating the promtor and tech guys friends or sons he will have a target on his back but thats ok u knw ur legal and they have to catch u not u worring about them go out drive ur best and be paitent that is the key they will make a mistake cause they knw ur comming i hope u have good luck and wish u and ur son the best and just beat them if there not doing there home work there losing not u

just be prepared to keep doing what you know. know when your doing nothing but hurting your kids confidence and your equipment. Then itís time to move on and find a track with better competition, and one that wonít break his spirit for the sport.

Give it to him straight, were in the tech barn cause we won and they got there feelings hurt.

A Watts Clone, wait , is that Watts Davies from the movie Kart Racer? LOL Just kidding. What track are you running?

Dont worry about others!! You cant control what they do, youre there to have fun with your son, so do just that and let whatever happens, happen.
    I have an idea where youre at racing, just enjoy it, have fun, most important is letting your son have fun.

Assume they are honest, but know the rules so you can defend any spurious accusations. Remember that being accused of cheating when you aren't, is a compliment.

Thanks gents, some great advice from all!

I plan to carry my 2018 AKRA rules book with me and hope for the best! If we do get to race I'll certainly provide an update.

For those that asked where we're racing, its at a really old track here in Ocala called the Marion County speedway/Bullring. Very nice little local Friday night track, not a ton of entries and lots of room on the track to teach a new driver.

Sounds like a good problem to have. I was dead last my first race, would rather win and have engine torn down.

Update! We started outside poll. He got a terrible start and slid to 5th. Ended up coming through the field and lead the last 4 laps and won by a straightaway!!! They pulled our carb and went through it very well and tried their hardest to get the No-go to go through the purple restrictor!! Needless to say we passed and scored the first ever win in his first race!!! Very proud dad moment!!!

Nothing Better!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fasttiller View Post
    Update! We started outside poll. He got a terrible start and slid to 5th. Ended up coming through the field and lead the last 4 laps and won by a straightaway!!! They pulled our carb and went through it very well and tried their hardest to get the No-go to go through the purple restrictor!! Needless to say we passed and scored the first ever win in his first race!!! Very proud dad moment!!!
    Very Cool

Congrads Donnie... Keep that tech book handy and feel free to ask us anything,, here or on the phone... JD
    Dover Power
    The Carolina Original Since 1972
    Mon-Thurs 10am-7pm
    704-782-7061
    jdover@vnet.net
    www.doverpower.com
    www.doverpoweronlinestore.com
    FB> Dover Power
    AKRA Steering Board Chairman

Thanks all!! Certainly wouldn't be in the position we're in if not for this site and all of you willing to share info and knowledge!

Jerry- Once again your stuff exceeded my expectations! Made us look illegal it was so fast down the straights! lol

Another funny note, The "tech" guy and I talked awhile after the race and he was adamant that NKA allowed porting of the heads and AKRA did not... I had to pull out my trusty rule book and "Correct" him there in front of a few guys.

Next time there at that track We'll have some brand new Sticky Vega yellows on the kart, instead of the very thin, worn tires we did have. Should make it very interesting!

With those results, I think I'd keep those thin, worn tires mounted up and in the trailor, just in case.

Yes sir, that is the plan! I honestly can't believe they even worked... the norm for this track is thick rubber Vega yellows punching around a 22 Soaked in goat pee!

Ours are very thin, heck even had a few cords starting to show on the RF! lol But they have been treated very well with TrackTac products and were on very low air.

Take tech as a compliment as long as you know you're legal.

We did with stride!!! My little guy had no idea what was going on, I had prepared him that if he won we'd likely face some issues afterwards but there were none. Simple plate and carb check and we were awarded our first win!