+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LO206 questions

LO206 questions

frustration level has hit all time big with clone. can someone tell me what to variation in power is comparing all the LO206 motors. What work can be done to this engine to make more power I have heard the block is sealed up

talk to this guy http://karting.4cycle.com/member.php...sonMotorsports or jimbo at fastermotors or P D power.

Call or contact Brian Carlson. Judging from his posts on here, he will answer your questions with the utmost helpful intent of anyone on here.
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cuts
    www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
    Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
    765-339-4407
    bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks for the referrals guys. That means a lot.

To the O.P. You're story is all too familiar.
    We've been outfitting "ex-clone" racers for a few years now -- and this year seems to be on record pace already!

As far as variation in power -- if you pull them all out of the box and run them as is, you might see some variation (mainly due to the carb set-up and floats not being set precisely.)
    Once you do a bit of tuning on them, they are all VERY close in CHP (corrected horsepower.)
    If you compare an engine out of the box to one that has been tuned a bit, there is even more advantage to the engine that has had some tweaking done to it.
    We offer a race-ready LO206 package that has the intake aligned, coil air gap set, ignition checked, valve lash set, floats set, needle set, and a few other tuning tricks to get the most out of the LO206 package.
    With that said, there have been plenty of races won with the engine being pulled right out of the box (see the Briggs website for a great testimony to that effect.)

As far as what can and can't be done....the bottom end is sealed - nothing can be done to the shortblock. The head can be removed and freshened - ie lap the valve and change springs when needed (once a year - not once a week!) The carb can be removed so that you can do routine maintenance to it and do minor tuning adjustments via the floats and needle setting. Typical LO206 rebuilds go from $40 - $100 for parts and labor included! What's not to like about that?

One thing for sure, is that when you're running the LO206 engine, you WON'T get beat on engine -- No latest tricks of the week or updates of the month. No constantly evolving rules package. Now, you've got racing back in the hands of the driver. Work on your chassis, work on your tires, work on your driving...but you won't be having to work on your engine all the time!

If you need anything else, give us a call or ask away.

--
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cuts
    765-339-4407

We have had the LO 206 here since they were first introduced. Actually, i introduced a sealed bone stock Animal before that at the Kart track at Road America. (asphalt sprint track)
    I don't remember the exact year that the LO 206 came out but it's got to be somewhere between 4 and 6 years ago.
    There has been zero failures and many of those original people are still racing the same engine they started with.
    The only failures i hear about are when some one calls and needs a new short block. Usually, the reason for needing a new short block is because they forgot to put oil in it.
    Sometimes it's because it's smoking more than they like. When i quiz them i usually hear that they are racing on a very dusty track.
    I don't care what engine you are using if you don't keep the dirt out of it you are going to wear it out.
    The first thing anyone that races on dirt should do is make a deflector to go between the rear tire and the air filter. Sometimes you need to have one in front of the tire to keep dirt from the front tire off the air filter.
    You should also keep a supply of clean air filters and prefilters ready to install after each time on the track.
    The LO 206 is like the Energizer Bunny. It keeps going and going and going.
    Jimbo
    The LO 206 is the best thing for Karting in years!
    Buy your engine from an engine guy, not a parts house.
    I have max duration cams for blueprinted Animal engines
    www.fastermotors.net
    tel 920-207-9180

you CAN NOT do work in the bottom end but there are a few things you can legally do to the top end and some carb work you can do

You need to be very careful if you "work on the top end"
    You can replace parts with OEM stock unaltered parts
    YOU CAN NOT
    Machine head head or block gasket surfaces
    You can not use anything except the factory head gasket
    You can not do ANY port work.
    You can not alter the rocker arms
    You must run the spec spark plug
    You can not run different jets
    You can not drill jets or alter them in any way.
    You can not alter the slide or slide needle
    You can not hone the bore of the carb
    Please leave everything stock as it was intended to be.

There are other modified classes if you want to change things.
    Jimbo
    www.fastermotors.net
    tel 920-207-9180

We got fed up with the clones finally, switched to animals, wish we had the L206 option around here though

Hobby
    How serious are you about an LO 206 option?
    Jimbo
    www.fastermotors.net
    tel 920-207-9180

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    YOU CAN NOT
    Machine head head or block gasket surfaces
    I have a problem with this part of the rules. Those surfaces are machined, and if the factory can do it, there’s a machinest out there that can match it.
    Is there a CC check? Do all stock engines have the exact same CC’s?
    I have this idea that there are guys out there, with machine shops, that are sitting there right now with their brains on over drive with ideas on how to beat the rules

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
    If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

Al,
    I was one of those guys.
    When the LO206 first came out, the deck heights were no different than the animal engines -- meaning there was room to work on it. John @ EZ Bore made a nice fixture to cut the decks with the sealed sidecover in place. It didn't take long to figure out the diameter and crossfeed speed of the mill with a flycutter to come up with a "factory appearing" finish.

Today though, there's no return on investment for milling the deck of the block.
    Each engine comes certified with piston pop-up measurements checked and signed at the factory. And guess what, it's right on the money every time. I've checked MANY. Within the rules, there's simply no advantage to set up the mill and indicate everything in, just to mill .001" or .002" off of the deck. I don't even offer this service any more.

Jim's correct, what little can be done to the engines is for maintenance purposes to the top end only. Leave the bottom end alone.

Hobby,

Don't be afraid to be the first at your track with the LO206. The fun is contagious!
    Like Jim, we offer incentives if you get a few friends together and want to start a class of LO206s at your track. We are both committed to growing this class nationwide!

--
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cuts
    765-339-4407
    Last edited by CarlsonMotorsports; 01-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.

"Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome." Al Nunley

Don't try to stir the pot of something you don't know anything about.
    If you have a question about anything concerning the LO 206 please feel free to ask Brian (off line)
    I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer your question.

The block gasket surface and piston pop up are controlled to very exact tolerances.
    The head gasket surface is also machined to a very exact tolerance to give a very specific combustion chamber depth and thus control the cc's of the head.
    Even the spark plug is a spec part so you can't use one that protrudes into the combustion chamber farther to give you more compression.
    The spark plug washer has to be there also.
    There is no room for any one to do anything illegal like you are suggesting.
    Jimbo
    www.fastermotors.net
    tel 920-207-9180

Hobby, If you are interested in the LO206 as a replacement to the clones, you should start the conversation with the guys you race around about getting it started. At the KRA many of the guys started the conversation and now almost all of us clone racers are on board with swapping both of our clone classes to LO206 for this coming season. Really looking forward to it as this season will be my first full season racing karts.

The switch really excites me as the Route 66 series has added LO206 to their class structure for this season and I hope to race some of that series also.

Jimbo, depending on how Comet prices the LO206 package here in Indy, I might be calling you about getting one from you. I grew up in Sheboygan Falls and bought my first kart from my brother, who bought this kart from you with your blueprinted animal on it. It sat for almost 5 years unused and I put it on the track for my first time out and it still ran faster than I could handle for my first time on track.

B.J. Schnettler

BJ
    It's a small world. It would be interesting to me to talk to you about the old days so if you want to send me a private message i'd be excited to read it.
    Glad to see you are back into karting.
    Of course, i'll be happy to set you up with LO 206 and what ever else you may need.
    Jimbo
    www.fastermotors.net
    tel 920-207-9180

Guys, thanks for the encouragement, I'll start the conversation with our guys and see. Our track promotor likes the Briggs product over the clone, but we are not in a kart health economy in North Texas, so making the change has got to be a majority vote. Just curious, can a stock animal be turned into a L206?

Matt

Hobby, I know there is chatter on this at "the kart track" in Beaumont fyi
    if you facebook chime in on it

No the animal cannot be called an LO206 because ther is no way to controll what has been done to the base. It would be cheaper to purchase a LO206 short block and install legal parts, or just start with a fresh LO206

No, you cannot turn an animal into an LO206 (legally), but you can turn an LO206 into an animal -- that's just one positive aspect of this engine platform - that you can "grow" with this engine, and don't have to throw it away when you're ready to go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The head gasket surface is also machined to a very exact tolerance to give a very specific combustion chamber depth and thus control the cc's of the head.
    Even the spark plug is a spec part so you can't use one that protrudes into the combustion chamber farther to give you more compression.
    The spark plug washer has to be there also.
    Jimbo, The track that my son races at is moving to the LO206 this season. Looking at the spark plug requirements how will the use of the CHT Sensor affect the engine? Or do you have a recommendation on where place it?

Aloha
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Maranche View Post
    Jimbo, The track that my son races at is moving to the LO206 this season. Looking at the spark plug requirements how will the use of the CHT Sensor affect the engine? Or do you have a recommendation on where place it?

Aloha
    Marc
    I see where the sparkplug washer has to be there so wouldn't that affect your CHT reading?

Quote Originally Posted by alvin l nunley View Post
    I see where the sparkplug washer has to be there so wouldn't that affect your CHT reading?
    Al, that is what I was thinking. What about the CC's, it may be off by some due to where the spark plug is now that it is sitting higher.

The thermocouple sits UNDER the compression washer on the plug and directly against the cylinder head - so the CHT won't be affected by the plug's compression washer at all.

Now, your other concern is quite accurate. You do lose the thickness (about .060") of the thermocouple in depth of the spark plug reach into the combustion chamber. Considering that we are only looking at the ground strap of the plug, to me, this is negligible. On the other hand, depending on your application, the LO206 runs so cool (rich, set ignition timing, spec pipe, and with no taping allowed to the starter rewind and blowerhousing) that it likely will never run hot - thus not needing to run the cht temp gauge and thermocouple if you with to gain that extra .060".

I've seen it run both ways.

Thanks,
    Brian

egt sensors also work on the same connection as the cht ones. if the .060" is of concern find somewhere else to mount up the sensor on the head . as long as it stays in the same place the readings will be relative even if they arent perfectly accurate. i dont know what type of thermocouple are used but there is tons of commercially available ones that can be plugged into the standard connector.

You guys are are really looking for something that isn't there. If you think that the thickness of the thermal couple is going to make a difference in the race results you are really in trouble.
    Many of the local racers here don't use a tach / temp gauge so it's not even an issue. You don't really need one!!
    In reality you can see a considerable variation in temps you get from under the plug just by how you route the wire from the sensor.
    Mounting the sensor under a head bolt is another option but realize you will get a different reading from each each bolt and also from under the plug.
    Jimbo
    www.fastermotors.net
    tel 920-207-9180

Our CHT broke at the thermo couple half way through the season last year. Never worried about it and will not replace it. Only using the Mychron to get lap times and check RPM. Like Jim said there are many in the class that don't use a tach at all. One that didn't, won the championship in 2012.

As I said before I am getting a 206 for Road Racing. Basically I trust running WKA if there is tech it will be more serious than at most local dirt tracks. Now if it picks up at dirt oval tracks close to me and tech is serious I might put it on some of my offset chassis too.

Hobby87
    What local track do you race at in North Texas? That's my stomping ground as well, I am with you in having this discussion
    In our area. I think the lo206 could help us grow the karting market here. It needs to be affordable to get more interest. Our market is ripe for growth if we could just get the price down for start up. The Lonestar series is growing and we need to get it bigger.

Get together guys, and give us a call. Texas has been ripe for ANY consistent engine package and rules for a long time. The LO206 could go a long way in accomplishing that.

--
    Thanks and God bless,
    Brian Carlson
    Carlson Racing Engines
    Vector Cuts
    765-339-4407

willbenn, I race mainly at Kam Kartway in Rhome, but we have been going to Cactus to run as well. Just tired of the clone game, I mean, I am thankful for it as it got myself and alot of other guys started in karting around here, but it has gotten out of hand for what it is, so looking at better options. We currently have plans to run animals and RWYB's around TX for 2014, just sold my last clone motor!

-Matt

will the LO206 ( non restricted) run with the pro gas animal with the green restrictor plate if both are at 265 lbs?

+ Reply to Thread