+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Classified ads on Bobs

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    39

    Classified ads on Bobs

    There seems to be more and more "issues" on Bobs these days. Maybe it's time to add a feedback score or something on the members profile. I have purchased many items on Bobs and had great luck in doing so. There is no real way to vet a seller on here except to go with your gut feeling, or not buy the item. Paypal and others offer buyer and seller protections, and most on here seem to be of good character. If you buy off of Bobs regularly, you are familiar with the guys of good character.
    The big problem seems to be that you never know when you have a problem until you've been screwed. Then once you post about a problem, you hear all sorts of other issues had with that person. I'm pretty new to Karting and have met many great people on here. I just hate to see the increase in issues when the sport is struggling like it has been. It seems as though we as a collective group could handle this side of Bobs better. It doesn't do any good to trash and bash people if there is a problem. If a guy wants to sell on Bobs, his reputation should be able to be reflected in his profile. Just my 2 cents worth!!

  2. #2
    Unmuzzled Dawg davea7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    1,471
    The best way to do a transaction is to do it in person.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gator Creek, GA
    Posts
    233
    How about all the folks who contact you with PMs saying they have what you need. I don't do business on forums - odds are that you'll get burned eventually.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,353
    not really any more issues. though it does seem to increas around the holidays.
    profile and feed back are nice but can be manipulated. best is to call, talk and watch out for the 2 good to be true deals.
    fast talkers with big ideas etc.
    if it don't feel right it is very likely not.
    pay pal is your freind in this instance even if they want 3% fee.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    213
    I've had 2 dealings on here and got screwed both times. I no longer use the classifieds here.

    Profiles mean nothing here. You can put what ever you want on your profile and hide the real you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JPMKarting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Saylorsburg, PA
    Posts
    592
    Ive bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars of stuff thanks to this great site, and have luckily never been burned.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Weapons - 2008 Mongoose Champ, 2004 PRC Phenom JPM Indoor Edition
    The Ammo - GKS Flathead, GKS Animal
    The Sidearm - 2006 PRC Phenom

    "We claw with our finger nails for that inch. Because we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing..."

  7. #7
    Unmuzzled Dawg davea7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMKarting View Post
    Ive bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars of stuff thanks to this great site, and have luckily never been burned.
    Told ya you was rich!

  8. #8
    Senior Member rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Surry, VA
    Posts
    900
    I have always been lucky both selling and buying through Bobīs, though in most cases I use paypal. I also try to check with someone who has dealt with that person. In most cases I even know that person myself.

  9. #9
    Senior Member JPMKarting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Saylorsburg, PA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by davea7 View Post
    Told ya you was rich!
    You missed the "bought" part...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Weapons - 2008 Mongoose Champ, 2004 PRC Phenom JPM Indoor Edition
    The Ammo - GKS Flathead, GKS Animal
    The Sidearm - 2006 PRC Phenom

    "We claw with our finger nails for that inch. Because we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing..."

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    431
    I have bought and sold items here with nothing but good things to say about the transactions as well as the people. That being said, I didn't put myself in a position to be taken advantage of. I bought our first kart here, but found one close enough to me to see it in person and pay in cash. I have sold two complete karts and one bare frame, with one gentleman even coming down from Indiana to buy one. Those dealings were in cash as well, and you couldn't ask for nicer people. I shipped the frame, but protected myself as well as possible in that transaction as well, dealing by money order. Buying and selling here is no different than buying a car you find on craigslist- you should go into the transaction very cautiously and cover your hind quarters at all times.

  11. #11
    Senior Member rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Surry, VA
    Posts
    900
    I have had more issues buying from some people outside Bobīs, including the unfortunate scam of Kart Parts Depot.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,353
    search there screen name . goggle the real name. that will show some insight.
    Don't expect item to be better than described be realistic, after all most stuff is used.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    La Crosse, WI
    Posts
    204
    I've bought a seat from JPMKarting. It went fine, it was just as the picture he sent me. If you want more buyer protection go to FEEbay.

    I prefer to use Paypal, and if you feel it may be a sketchy deal ask the seller to send you a detailed billing invoice prior to paying them. I sell a lot of stuff other places and never have a problem with people asking me for a detailed billing invoice.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Liberty, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by flattop1 View Post
    search there screen name . goggle the real name. that will show some insight.
    Don't expect item to be better than described be realistic, after all most stuff is used.
    Ones who are on here mostly selling parts, dont have a name in their proflie, just a screen name to go by. Have a look at most of the sellers who have been accused of scamming or selling bad parts, 80-90% of them dont have any info in their profile, especially not their name, others wont have a full name, just their first name. Good thing moderators can trace back to what email was used to sign up on the site and belongs to any given username, and using that email, can find out that persons real name and info. Just takes a little ingenuity.

  15. #15
    helmet painter and racer Ted Hamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    1,406
    Your best bet is to click on the seller's profile and look through all their posts and see how legit they seem. Then do a search on their name and see what pops up, good or bad. Then request lots of pics. Then decide. And if you get screwed, take up with THEIR local magistrate...and/or use PayPal / USPS money order. USPS money order makes it a federal crime and they don't tend to play around...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Liberty, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hamilton View Post
    Your best bet is to click on the seller's profile and look through all their posts and see how legit they seem. Then do a search on their name and see what pops up, good or bad. Then request lots of pics. Then decide. And if you get screwed, take up with THEIR local magistrate...and/or use PayPal / USPS money order. USPS money order makes it a federal crime and they don't tend to play around...
    Western Union or wire transfers also make it a federal crime, but seems most people dont trust using them, would rather use a money order. Some people dont understand that not everybody has paypal, no matter what reason they have for not having one.

  17. #17
    FAST N LOUD fastbraden11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vendor,arkansas
    Posts
    820
    every little new thing added to the site comes out of bobs pocket,if you wish to have that add on i bet he will gladly bill you for it each month ,you and others act as if its bobs4cycle's responsibility to see that you get what you pay for,its buy at your own risk and no other way.bob has clearly stated on the old forums that if its to good to be true (it probably is),he gave you all a classified section to sell and buy/trade and it not cost you or others a dime,i can alter my reputation in a sec without you knowing anything,so where does reputation help?...do your homework and look at the sellers past and see if hes had shady sales,ask questions,get a phone number so you can drive that person nuts when he doesn't come thru on the sale.....all sales or buying are you alls responsibility not bobs........moderators have enough on there plate removing cuss words/breakin up arguments/editing misspelled words,removing folks from the site that don't belong or lost privileges.put the blame where blame belongs not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbenn04 View Post
    There seems to be more and more "issues" on Bobs these days. Maybe it's time to add a feedback score or something on the members profile. I have purchased many items on Bobs and had great luck in doing so. There is no real way to vet a seller on here except to go with your gut feeling, or not buy the item. Paypal and others offer buyer and seller protections, and most on here seem to be of good character. If you buy off of Bobs regularly, you are familiar with the guys of good character.
    The big problem seems to be that you never know when you have a problem until you've been screwed. Then once you post about a problem, you hear all sorts of other issues had with that person. I'm pretty new to Karting and have met many great people on here. I just hate to see the increase in issues when the sport is struggling like it has been. It seems as though we as a collective group could handle this side of Bobs better. It doesn't do any good to trash and bash people if there is a problem. If a guy wants to sell on Bobs, his reputation should be able to be reflected in his profile. Just my 2 cents worth!!
    CHAINDRAGGONE SYSTEMS
    MARKBILT PERFORMANCE
    TRACK TAC TREATMENTS
    Roll N Prep
    ULTRAMAX CHASSIS
    MARKBILT MAFIA
    JAMMER RACING CLUTCHS
    UNCLE FRANKS KARTING
    CENTERPOINT GRAPHICS

  18. #18
    FAST N LOUD fastbraden11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vendor,arkansas
    Posts
    820
    another issue,just because there is a name/town in there profile doesnt mean that is there correct address,think you can find paul kish?.his profile says Poland,good luck reaching him,buy from subscribers that have supported this site,99% of the ripoffs come from non-subscribers,maybe bob will set it up to where only subscribers are allowed to buy/sell.
    CHAINDRAGGONE SYSTEMS
    MARKBILT PERFORMANCE
    TRACK TAC TREATMENTS
    Roll N Prep
    ULTRAMAX CHASSIS
    MARKBILT MAFIA
    JAMMER RACING CLUTCHS
    UNCLE FRANKS KARTING
    CENTERPOINT GRAPHICS

  19. #19
    OUTLAW RACER mikelavite#72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    roxana , illinois
    Posts
    3,583
    99% of the ripoffs come from non-subscribers,maybe bob will set it up to where only subscribers are allowed to buy/sell.


    im with youon this one Troy!! isee it all to much . brand new user account with 1-3 posts and they are asking for thousands of dollars . no profile filled out , dont have a paypal account and then about 3 weeks later someone starts a thread about getting ripped off . Hell i have gave away more than i have sold here on Bobs , and even then I got beat on the shipping .
    Factory Dealer for www.jammerclutches.net
    Factory Dealer for www.mikeclementsracing.com
    www.bedrockraceway.com
    paid subscriber to B4C

    win sum lose sum wreck sum
    I have learned a lot from my mistakes !! Think I will make some more !!

  20. #20
    Senior Member SoCo Tire Treatments's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Woodruff, SC
    Posts
    1,074
    Its not only the ones with few posts, it amazes me at how some who were doing a lot of scams years ago are now revered as good people on here. Keep an inventory in your head of who did someone wrong and dont forget.
    There are some wonderful people here on this sight, but there are also ones waiting to pounce, just as in real life.
    Southern Comfort Tire Treatments

    www.tirepreps.com

    earl@tirepreps.com

  21. #21
    Grumpy Old Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    507
    Just a small point. Take a look at the number of items bought and sold each week on the classifieds and compare that to the number of complaints.
    The classifieds have only one reason for being here, that's because folks ARE going to try to sell their stuff anywhere there is a large number of people. If they weren't in the classifieds, the ads would show up in the track forums and general discussion area.
    Ebay, with all their millions of dollars and hundreds of employees, can't make their system 100% fraud free, and it's possible that Ebay's fraudulent and misrepresented sale's ratio might be comparable to here.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbenn04 View Post
    There seems to be more and more "issues" on Bobs these days. Maybe it's time to add a feedback score or something on the members profile. I have purchased many items on Bobs and had great luck in doing so. There is no real way to vet a seller on here except to go with your gut feeling, or not buy the item. Paypal and others offer buyer and seller protections, and most on here seem to be of good character. If you buy off of Bobs regularly, you are familiar with the guys of good character.
    The big problem seems to be that you never know when you have a problem until you've been screwed. Then once you post about a problem, you hear all sorts of other issues had with that person. I'm pretty new to Karting and have met many great people on here. I just hate to see the increase in issues when the sport is struggling like it has been. It seems as though we as a collective group could handle this side of Bobs better. It doesn't do any good to trash and bash people if there is a problem. If a guy wants to sell on Bobs, his reputation should be able to be reflected in his profile. Just my 2 cents worth!!
    Bob's should make it a requirement that everyone fill out the information in their profile, we do!! JMO

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCo Tire Treatments View Post
    Its not only the ones with few posts, it amazes me at how some who were doing a lot of scams years ago are now revered as good people on here. Keep an inventory in your head of who did someone wrong and dont forget.
    There are some wonderful people here on this sight, but there are also ones waiting to pounce, just as in real life.
    True so true, it has always been "Let the buyer beware", those of us who have been on here a while know who is who for the most part.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    centreal fl.
    Posts
    98
    What I hate is wen u waste ur time makeing a deal w sumone and the sell out from under u or better yet dont have the gutts to say so...

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    39
    Fastbraden,
    You are all wet my friend, I'm not complaining. I have had no problems with anyone on Bobs!! I Was merely making the statement that with a feedback score or something of the sort, you could see a sellers reputation by number of sales and
    Anything negative about him. You couldn't hide if negatives were against you unless you constantly change names on Bobs.
    I would gladly chip in for anything Bob would need help with to keep this site positive and viable.maybe you misunderstood my point. I'm trying to be a part of a solution not a problem.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    431
    With the possibility of numerous usernames as well as inaccurate profile information, such a system of rating buyers and sellers would be probably be rendered less than effective.

  27. #27
    FAST N LOUD fastbraden11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vendor,arkansas
    Posts
    820
    heres a fine example...let say you have a perfect reputation,and i dont like you,what stops me from giving you a bad mark even tho youve done nothin to me other than i dont like you?...whats to keep you from coaxing other for a positive feedback?..its been done in the past on bobs4cycle using little green dots and was removed by bob,calling me all wet might get you a negitive feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbenn04 View Post
    Fastbraden,
    You are all wet my friend, I'm not complaining. I have had no problems with anyone on Bobs!! I Was merely making the statement that with a feedback score or something of the sort, you could see a sellers reputation by number of sales and
    Anything negative about him. You couldn't hide if negatives were against you unless you constantly change names on Bobs.
    I would gladly chip in for anything Bob would need help with to keep this site positive and viable.maybe you misunderstood my point. I'm trying to be a part of a solution not a problem.
    CHAINDRAGGONE SYSTEMS
    MARKBILT PERFORMANCE
    TRACK TAC TREATMENTS
    Roll N Prep
    ULTRAMAX CHASSIS
    MARKBILT MAFIA
    JAMMER RACING CLUTCHS
    UNCLE FRANKS KARTING
    CENTERPOINT GRAPHICS

  28. #28
    FAST N LOUD fastbraden11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vendor,arkansas
    Posts
    820
    onehardhead,...you remember some yrs back when we had the green dot thing?
    CHAINDRAGGONE SYSTEMS
    MARKBILT PERFORMANCE
    TRACK TAC TREATMENTS
    Roll N Prep
    ULTRAMAX CHASSIS
    MARKBILT MAFIA
    JAMMER RACING CLUTCHS
    UNCLE FRANKS KARTING
    CENTERPOINT GRAPHICS

  29. #29
    Senior Member rebsfan4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Braxton Ms
    Posts
    829
    I've seen Troy soaking wet in the rain at Batesville. He don't get no purdier!!
    Bryan Wesley
    601-503-3502
    I tried therapy. They didn't want to listen.

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Minden,Ne.
    Posts
    65
    Another problem is people having more than one username. Since the new Bob's site, some people are using different usernames that they from old Bob's site. Taking sometime to figure out who's who.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts